BCS-2 or SAWTOOTH ?

PAXMAN

FNG
I am sure this has been asked numerous times before, but wanted to see if anyone has had experience with both of the tents. I will be using it for a 2 man back country shelter with a stove for multiple days at a time.

DSC03563.jpg

DSC03566.jpg

DSC03588.jpg

DSC03698-1.jpg

DSC02899.jpg

DSC04394.jpg

OP
P

PAXMAN

FNG
Those are such cool tents. I am going to cry once and get one. Thanks for the pictures, it shows how much room is inside.

Jcberg

Lil-Rokslider
I have the sawtooth which I used all last year and my buddy just got the bcs2 and we haven't used it yet. Here are some side by side pics. More headroom in the sawtooth but the dual entry on the bcs2 is nice. Both seem like nice shelters so may just be a matter of personal preference.

OP
P

PAXMAN

FNG
Seems that kifaru's logo runs true. They invent stuff and others follow. I could be totally wrong here but if you added a rear pole to the bcs, it would be an identical tent...

Shrek

WKR
To defend SO , it's their take on the tent style and they have a couple of unique features. Double entry and a loop at the rear peak allows you to ditch the rear inside pole. The Moffits just modified their new Sawtooth by adding a rear attachment point so they can remove the rear inside pole so it can be added easily . Kifaru philosophy is that everything is made as bombproof as possible so there are no carbon fiber poles and an inside rear pole. The Sawtooth is a little bit bigger. I haven't seen in person or used the BCS2 but I have no doubt it's a pretty tough tent too. I'm 6'4" and can just stand right by the pole in my Sawtooth so the BCS2 isn't really an option for me being it's shorter.

OP
P

PAXMAN

FNG
I wonder if they are going to be making any changes to the Sawtooth this spring? Shrek, you are right on the carbon fiber poles. Aron had mentioned to me that they have not be able to find one that has a lot of stregnth.

dotman

WKR
I haven't used either but just by the comparison pictures the sawtooth looks to have more usable space or layout but maybe the bc2 could have a better pitch. Based on the pics above I would go sawtooth.

LaGriz

WKR
View attachment 25120
The BCS-2 is well made and the dual doors are going to be a plus. The BCS-2 also has a sod skirt if that grabs you at all. I agree the Sawtooth apears to have an edge, with more room, height, and near verticle walls. I got such a deal on my shelter I was able to get the WiFi stove large w/3" pipe. The SO tent is lighter, less expensive, and is versatile with options to add on. The CF pole is a non-issue to me. (need more time in this tent to truely say) IMHO you can't go wrong with either shelter. If resale price is a factor, the nod would go to the Sawtooth. That being said, I think I could break even or make a few bucks selling my shelter. I hope it never happens, as I am quite pleased with the set up I have. Just need to spend more time in it going forward. PS my lady and tent model is 5' 1". I love to have her pose with my kills as she makes any harvested animals look much larger. LOL!

LaGriz

Do people have issues with the carbon poles? I feel like I did a solid 6 hours of research before i pulled the trigger on The Cimmaron yesterday and hadn't heard of that before...

Take-a-knee

Banned
Seems that kifaru's logo runs true. They invent stuff and others follow. I could be totally wrong here but if you added a rear pole to the bcs, it would be an identical tent...

Next you'll say Kifaru invented the teepee?

The Backcountry Shelter is a modern adaptation of the "George Tarp", the last modern iteration of which was that by Integral Designs. Many others predated it.

Shrek

WKR
There was some testing done and under extraordinary conditions the CF poles failed. Patrick at Kifaru tested them extensively and decided that the aluminum was worth the weight. If you don't pitch your tent in a high pass that acts as a wind funnel or leave your tent unattended in heavy snow I doubt you would ever have trouble with the CF poles. That said , the Kifaru Sawtooth has proven itself all over the world in some wicked conditions. Check out the Moffits video of the Sawtooth on Kodiak Island. The wind was relentless. The worst my Sawtooth has seen was a few gust to 35-45 mph and I worried more about the stakes holding in the ground than the tent and poles.

Take-a-knee

Banned
Bad weather can destroy ANY tent. NOTHING in the Kifaru line can compare to the original US made North Face VE-24. Chuck Adams had one destroyed on Kodiak Island many years ago. A longtime poster at the Kifaru board had a 12 man destroyed by an Alaskan storm a few years ago. Kifaru, to their credit, stood behind it. They make good stuff, for what it is designed for.

As for the CF pole issue, it cracked where it was drilled for the adjustment pin. Seek Outside now uses an aluminum bottom section where the holes are drilled, I believe. I'm sure Kevin T will address this when he sees it. My next shelter will be a Seekoutside.

OP
P

PAXMAN

FNG
Does anyone have experience with the mosquito netting on the sawtooth? Can't seem to find any pictures or description for what it includes?

Wrongside

WKR
I have had a first Gen BCS for a few years. It's been a great shelter, but hadn't seen use for a while as I'd been mainly running with my LBO, and I was thinking about selling it. Then a couple of weeks ago, a bud and I did a weekend looking for a spring black bear... Forgot how much the thing rocks for two people and gear... It's not going anywhere. LOL. Pretty sure I'd also be happy with the Saw Tooth or Gen2 BCS.

As for CF poles- I've been using them for years I and broken exactly one. Totally my fault. On a foothills elk trip a few years ago, we got almost a foot of wet, heavy white stuff over night and I neglected to get up and clean off the shelter... Woke up with the BCS laying on top of us. The snow also had a Asolo tent- not sure the model- flat on the ground. Pretty sure an aluminum shelter pole would've bent or snapped under those conditions... I patched up the pole and we finished the night. Replaced it and continue to use CF poles happily since. I just run a stove more often or clean off the shelters occasionally... ;)

lab-roamer

Lil-Rokslider
The mosquito netting velcros to the door opening when the doors are open. It works pretty well for what it is but being it's a floorless shelter they can still get in underneath. I've always wanted to get Bear Paw designs to make a custom bug nest for inside mine for summer use.