Bear den picture

NE FLORIDA in a small town called Palatka
So I was doing some scouting in a hugh block Saturday morning and started to trim a trail out. As I'm doing so I come across this hole from about 30 yards away, thinking that it's a coyote den as I have found many of them over the years I walked up to it. As I looked over the log and into the hole I come face to face with a black bear and he was just as surprised as I was. He decided to vacate the hole and ran out towards me as I was trying to put distance between us. Prolly the closest I've very come to shitting myself
20230715_072727.jpg

TagEater

Lil-Rokslider
Exact thing happened to me a few years ago! A surprise face to face encounter with a bear will require a cleanup for just about anyone!

dboone3

Lil-Rokslider
Is it ever a good idea to walk up to an expected animal's den? Genuinely curious, just seems highly likely any animal would try to defend it.

Great pic and story. I have something very similar happened to me once, but nowhere near as close as you were. Thankfully, he ran the other direction so I didn’t have to change my pants.

packer58

WKR
So I was doing some scouting in a hugh block Saturday morning and started to trim a trail out. As I'm doing so I come across this hole from about 30 yards away, thinking that it's a coyote den as I have found many of them over the years I walked up to it. As I looked over the log and into the hole I come face to face with a black bear and he was just as surprised as I was. He decided to vacate the hole and ran out towards me as I was trying to put distance between us. Prolly the closest I've very come to shitting myself
View attachment 577843
I'm calling BS on this one, the pic has obviously been photo shopped to remove the $hit stains that should be all over the place ...........