Bear meat??

BLJ

WKR
Looking for ideas on how to cook or what to make. I’ve never really actively pursued a black bear because I’ve heard a lot of stories about the meat not being as desirable as beef, pork, venison……. But I’d like to try and hunt one, but I wanted to get some ideas on this in case I did kill one.
I know that trichinosis is an issue. Can it still be made into jerky or snack sticks? Does seasoning like tacos, chili, or enchiladas do enough to take care of he taste? What about summer sausage? Or breakfast sausage?
To be more specific I’m talking about a WV black bear as far as the bears diet is concerned. No salmon. Thanks.

Breakfast sausage, snack sticks, jalepeno cheese german's - they're all very good! We take all of our fall bear's and mix it in with our extra deer & elk meat for sausage. Good fat content makes for real good sausage.

dlee56

WKR
If the bear is eating mostly forage (berries, acorns, grasses) it’ll be great meat. Only thing that taints the meat is if it’s been living off rotten elk calves and fish.
Make anything you like just stick to well done, some of my favorites were burgers, sausages, crock pot bbq, stew, pot roast.
People say it’s greasy but I didn’t get any bad results, isn’t marbling and fatty juicy meat a good thing?

Tikatack

FNG
Bear is the most versatile meat IMO. I usually take one in spring and one in fall for more fat. It takes seasoning very well, makes great sausage and braises great. A few of my favorites are rouladen and shepherd’s pie. Most lamb recipes can also be used, as can Middle Eastern/Lebanese dishes. I like to grind most of mine and keep a few roasts. As mentioned, just make sure to cook it to at least 160 internal temp.

dlee56

WKR
Bear is the most versatile meat IMO. I usually take one in spring and one in fall for more fat. It takes seasoning very well, makes great sausage and braises great. A few of my favorites are rouladen and shepherd’s pie. Most lamb recipes can also be used, as can Middle Eastern/Lebanese dishes. I like to grind most of mine and keep a few roasts. As mentioned, just make sure to cook it to at least 160 internal temp.
Couldn’t agree more

Bear meat is really good. I've had it done in sausage, ground hamburger and chili meat. Chili meat was a little gristly. Ground hamburger and sausage was awesome. Made lots of tacos from the ground hamburger.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

OP
B

BLJ

WKR
This is great. Really appreciate all the suggestions.
I anticipate grinding most of it and it seems like there are a lot of good options.
Are you guys keeping the fat on when you grind? I usually trim a deer of all fat. But if I’m making things like sausage or bologna, I would think some fat would be needed. Thanks.

dlee56

WKR
This is great. Really appreciate all the suggestions.
I anticipate grinding most of it and it seems like there are a lot of good options.
Are you guys keeping the fat on when you grind? I usually trim a deer of all fat. But if I’m making things like sausage or bologna, I would think some fat would be needed. Thanks.
I like to trim it just like you would deer and then add beef fat. I prefer to render the bear fat into lard and use it for baking, cooking etc. But I don’t see why you couldn’t toss it in the grind, I just fry up a slice taste it before you do, any off flavors if present will usually hold up in the fat.

dlee56

WKR
its a greasy meat. I get rid of as much fat as possible and substitute pork fat for the sausage and pepperoni
I never understood the greasy meat thing, what do you mean by that? Is it a different taste or texture for you than pork or beef fat? I’m genuinely trying to get more insight because I haven’t gotten that impression so far.

OP
B

BLJ

WKR
I’m interested in any recipes as well. Snack sticks, pepperoni, sausage.

Any recipes. Thanks.

I never have found it gamey, just flat and tasteless. Have resorted to making all my bear into summer sausage, sticks, brats etc. just isn't great table fair if you have deer, antelope, and elk around. IMO

MThuntr

WKR
Birria & Stew for me mostly. I'm going to smoke for a little bit and then braise in red wine a whole shoulder. I have no idea if it'll be good but I'm sure it'll be edible

OP
B

BLJ

WKR
I never have found it gamey, just flat and tasteless. Have resorted to making all my bear into summer sausage, sticks, brats etc. just isn't great table fair if you have deer, antelope, and elk around. IMO

I would be more than happy with this.

rommesc

FNG
The favorite in my house is black bear cheeseburgers. We form them into thin patties and fry them in a pan, cooked well done. Sometimes we add blackened seasoning, but most of the time we just eat them with the usual condiments.

sndmn11

WKR
I think it's great...my first choice.

Anything you can do with a pig is a great idea with bear. We have never made one into sausage and like to stay with primal cuts because the marbling lends itself well to smoking, braising, pressure cooking, etc.

Bone in ham
Bone in shoulder roast
Flat irons if big enough

AKBC

Lil-Rokslider
I like to pressure can it after trimming off most fat. It makes good taco meat and canning completely eliminates risk of trichinosis.