Bear Rug??

dotman

WKR
What is the average pricing you guys have been quoted or paid for a bear rug? My taxi starts at $1000 4ft and goes up to $1300 depending on length.

Rs3003

WKR
I paid $720 in 2010 for a 5' rug. Head mount goes into a rug. I also paid $600 in 2009 for a full 3' mount. Both were shot Pennsylvania.

I did a little checking on prices in OR at Taxidermist I'm familiar with. They all ran 190.00-200.00 per linear ft. with a minimum of 950.00-1000.00 except one and it was 165.00 per linear ft. Personally I would not go with the cheaper one, but it is available. There may be a little discrepancy on price because some taxidermist measure nose to base of tail and some to the end of tail, but it wouldn't make but a little difference. I personally would look at their work and pick the one that looks like your bear when he was alive. that's always my criteria, I want to look at an animal that looks alive. Good luck with your choice, a good bear rug looks pretty cool!

I am jealous of what you guys have paid. I paid $3600 for a full body mount, and than $2800 for a rug. That was in 2012 and 2013.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PTaft

FNG
I just checked around Denver yesterday. Seems 1300 to 1600 is about average for a decent bear over 5ft.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
So is all the expense on a rug because it typically has the head included, etc? Otherwise isn't it just fur on tanning, trimming the edges and felting the bottom?

Just curious if I'm missing something. I picked up a bear tag "just in case" for this season but I'm not particularly interested in the look of rugs with a head on them. If anything I would just want the majority of the hide soft tanned so it could be draped on a couch or hung on a wall I think. That's just regular old "fur on tanning" right? I'd save the skull/claws for something else.

KJH

WKR
I've had 5 black bear rugs and have one at the taxidermist now. Anyone want to buy a rug??? Seriously too many.

My taxidermst prices went up last year,from $120 to $130 a linear foot (from the tip of the tail to the tip of the nose). The heads are in with the mouth open. They all run me between $650 and $950 for taxidermy.

My taxidermist charges per foot but want to say the final bill was around $850 for the rug and he does a fantastic job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bar

Banned
I got lucky for this. My best friend is full blooded Lakota Indian. He makes a rug for nothing if I give him the next hide. He uses them to make drums and sells them. So far I have two rugs and it's all I need. He gets them all now.

My dog loves the rugs.