Beef or Pork Fat In Your Venison Burgers

My family has been experimenting the last few years with different concoctions in our venison burgers. I’m always searching for something a little better and not good at “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.” This year I’m thinking about 15% beef fat mixed in the ground venison. This will be used strictly in burger patties. For sausage I would for sure use pork but wanting to try beef in the burgers. Any thoughts? What mixtures do you guys use for burgers?

Cheers

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
I use beef fat in my burger, its easier to come by where I'm at, and I think it tastes better. I use pork for my sausages.

I'd go higher than 15%, especially for burger patties. I do 20%, and with how lean the venison muscle/meat is, its still comparable to 90/10 beef burger.

mlob1one

WKR
I prefer pork fat in the grind for burgers. Simply put, pork fat has a lower melting temp. We like our burgers mid rare so getting burgers cooked hotter &/or longer with beef fat doesn't do it for us.
We prefer an 80/20 mix with our burgers, but 85/15 should be great.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Neither, I add 1/8 stick of grated butter per pound of burger when seasoning. Everyone says they’re the best venison burgers they’ve eaten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer pork fat but use both. I only do 10% fat unless I'm doing jerky meat (0% fat) or sausage 25% fat).

Cschlimm

FNG
Been messing around with this last few years think we gotter down these are hard to beat.

18# venison
5# fresh beef fat from local butcher
2# bacon ends from butcher shop
1.5 oz of McCormick hamburger or Montreal Steak seasoning

Ground for spaghetti, chili, or casseroles just grind straight venny.

Tried some with pork fat this year wasn’t a fan of how it melted in the grinder head and the fat was frozen.

Pattys stick together good and hardly shrink.

Holocene

WKR
10% grass fed beef fat in deer/elk ground if the butcher grinds it. He's got a good source of fat that is clean, non-oxidized, and like I said grass fed, which is important to our family.

Pure elk/deer if I grind at home. Just cook with more ghee or olive oil if I know it's on the lean side.

Some pasture raised pork fat that's CLEAN if I'm making sausage.

When I lived in South Carolina, my deer processor would put pork meat/fat into their sausage recipe and it was heavenly. Exact Jimmy Dean copycat recipe except with wild game, and I'm sad to not have that stuff in my life anymore and can't master a replacement recipe.

Antares

WKR
I’ve tried everything, beef fat, pork belly, bacon ends, cutting with beef burger, etc. In the end it always seemed like I was trying to make it something it’s not (ground beef).

Now I steak, stew, roast/braise all my venison and buy 100 pounds of free range Sitkinak beef every year.

The best of both worlds.

AKBC

Lil-Rokslider
I get my game meat ground at a commercial facility and they add 20% beef trimming which they estimate at 50/50 meat and fat. So the finished product contains about 10% fat.

A buddy uses that finished product and adds 20% chorizo to make awesome burgers.

Neither, I add 1/8 stick of grated butter per pound of burger when seasoning. Everyone says they’re the best venison burgers they’ve eaten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't add fat as I like my meat to be "clean" but good gravy that sounds great!

Last year my brother went with bacon for his burger grind. Apple smoked bacon. About 10%. It was awesome. I usually grind in about 1/3 pork butt roast for burger.

rdfish1

FNG
We use beef fat and after some health issues, limit it to 5 percent these days and it is still good