Beginner saddle set up

PiTaLin

FNG
I've been considering a saddle. How is it on your back?
It’s the best thing since sliced bread. I’ve sat in a saddle for 4.5 hours and didn’t feel a thing. You can adjust the pressure points. There are a ton of videos about it. Watch tetherd nation they do a lot of demonstrations it’s amazing.

Christopher.Reed

Lil-Rokslider
I've been considering a saddle. How is it on your back?

I’ve found that if I have the tether set to high it can put a little strain on my lower back but at a proper height there are no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tclipse

Lil-Rokslider
For all-day comfort, or for rifle/crossbow, the JX3 Hybrid is hard to beat. The seat is amazingly comfortable and the bridge position is perfect for use as a support for your rifle/crossbow.

For bowhunting, I really like the Method 2 from Latitude Outdoors.

I am on my third year of saddle hunting. I went with the Cruzr XC, and it is still incredible. After you get whatever saddle you choose tweaked and tuned to how you like it with regards to tether height, bridge length etc you will love it. I recommend you get it during the off season and play with it in your yard at ground height. Best advice I was given, and now the system is so dialed I am in and out of a tree in no time.

How are you built? I went through i think 3 saddles before I settled. Allot of things weigh on the decision. It’s a giant rabbit hole. I use a tethrd menace and hawk helium 20” sticks. I’m 6’2” 240# 36x36 pants. Kinda built like a silverback gorilla with a duck butt lol. I one stick now to save weight and time. It requires less in my opinion. Shoot me a message I’ll help what I can.
I’m a brand new hunter. I’m 6’0 245#. Very broad shouldered big butt build. I’m trying to figure out what kind of saddle I should try. Also should I buy used first ? Would love any input

Lowg08

WKR
I had very good luck with the tethrd menace. I was at one time interested in the one with a pleat but I broke my leg and gave up saddle hunting.

nosajnh

FNG
I hunted out of a Tethered Phantom for 2 seasons and really liked it however I would get hip pinch after long sits. Last season I switched to an Overwatch Outdoors Orion and could not be happier. I was used to having sore spots after the first couple sits of the season before I was in saddle shape and this completely went away with the Orion and all day hangs were not a problem. The Orion is a pleated saddle like a Cruzer XC except it has 2 vertical adjusters that allow you to adjust the amount of pleat depending on the tree size/lean/height, duration of hang and if I am sitting or leaning or both. I wear my saddle hiking in with the adjusters pulled tight and them loosen them at height to what ever is comfortable. The quality of the stitching/build is top notch and the Owner, Jamie is a great guy.

I'm wanting to try out saddle hunting for the first time but not sure which brand or set up to get. I've looked into Hawk and Trophyline some. Any recommendations?
I’m in the same position as you last year. What set up did you end up going with ? Did you buy used or new ?
I hunted out of a Tethered Phantom for 2 seasons and really liked it however I would get hip pinch after long sits. Last season I switched to an Overwatch Outdoors Orion and could not be happier. I was used to having sore spots after the first couple sits of the season before I was in saddle shape and this completely went away with the Orion and all day hangs were not a problem. The Orion is a pleated saddle like a Cruzer XC except it has 2 vertical adjusters that allow you to adjust the amount of pleat depending on the tree size/lean/height, duration of hang and if I am sitting or leaning or both. I wear my saddle hiking in with the adjusters pulled tight and them loosen them at height to what ever is comfortable. The quality of the stitching/build is top notch and the Owner, Jamie is a great guy.

thank you. What is the cost of the set up compared to the tethrd ? Also can you recommend good sticks that don’t cost $115 a piece like the tethrd

nosajnh

FNG
I’m in the same position as you last year. What set up did you end up going with ? Did you buy used or new ?

thank you. What is the cost of the set up compared to the tethrd ? Also can you recommend good sticks that don’t cost $115 a piece like the tethrd
The Orion is $60 more than the Phantom however worth it for the comfort. People like the Cruzer XC as well which is $30 more than the Phantom. The best thing would be to try some out. There are Saddle meet ups where people will bring different saddles for people to try and depending where you live, some sporting goods stores are starting to carry saddles. If you could find a used XC that would probably be the best value in a comfortable saddle.

If you do not find something you like used on RS you can find people selling used saddles , sticks on saddlehunter as well. They also post meet ups where you can try different saddles.

The first year I used full length Hawk Helium's that I already had and a moveable aider. After that season I started looking around for something lighter and I also did not like coming down in the dark with a moveable aider, too many issues. I went with a one stick and rappel setup that I have used for the last two seasons and I am happy with it. Is it perfect, no however I like the flexibility to hunt at any height, only carrying 1 stick and the ability to hunt off the ultimate platform I have on the top of my one stick if it is going to be a short hang like an evening hunt with a well defined travel pattern. If it is going to be a longer hang and/or there is more of a chance that the deer could be coming from multiple directions I will use my platform along with my one stick so I have two platforms 90+ degrees apart which can make it easier to shoot at off angles. One sticking with a platform and a rappel setup can get pricy as well depending on how you approach it. There are a lot more options for sticks and fixed aiders now then there was a couple years ago.

Eastern woods outdoors has parts so you can build your own climbing sticks as well a one sticks and premade climbing sticks.

The flexibility and mobility offered by a saddle is what I like about it. I will wear my saddle and have my one stick on my pack while still hunting especially if it is new area in case I come across a hot spot and want to get up off the ground.

If you are a gear guy and can't walk pass a rabbit hole without taking a dive in....beware

Enjoy

OFFSHORE

FNG
I have been saddle hunting for about 4 years now and find it very rewarding, addictive, and expensive - LOL. If you like to create things or a constant "tinker'r", like mentioned above - BEWARE!!! There are so many things I have found and played with that it is unreal. I have owned 7 different saddles and finally settled on the Wood Tree Saddle, with the CruzR XC being a close second. I have been to 2 Tree Saddle Rendezvous and really learned a lot and was able to try out soooo much different gear that it was unreal. I met Robert Wood and his wife at one of these get-togethers and he was quite humble. Several of us in the group had no idea he was in the tree saddle business. . .and Robert takes out 3 large plastic totes from his truck filled with just about every saddle manufacture there is, along with platforms, various steps and other climbing gear. We all were trying this stuff out for a couple hours and then he comes out with this other saddle and throws it on top of the heap and says this is my saddle that my wife and I make. I tried it on and set in to a tree and was instantly hooked!!! I placed my order that afternoon, he took my measurements and in two weeks I had a saddle in my camo pattern, with the hardware I wanted, size pouches I wanted - it was all me and I'm two seasons into it. Dan'O at Easternwoods Outdoors is another great guy to deal with as mentioned above. He is the "Gadget-Man" and has the stuff to customize your style of saddle hunting.

As for me, I have a small custom back pack that I made which holds my necessities, a set of 4 self-trimmed Hawk Heliums with adders that lash to the bottom, a Ring-of-Steps made with 6 Squirrel step and my Wood's saddle and rigging. . .all weighing in at 13 1/4 pounds, gets me 22 to 25 feet off the ground and up 90% of the trees in the woods. I am a all-day long sitter, sometimes only coming down for lunch. Napping is 100% safe as you CAN NOT fall out of the tree. I feel for the Public Land hunters it is the best thing going. Even on private land I have set up several sets of tree ladder systems and just climb up and strap in for the day. Saddle hunting is a great thing.

The Orion is $60 more than the Phantom however worth it for the comfort. People like the Cruzer XC as well which is $30 more than the Phantom. The best thing would be to try some out. There are Saddle meet ups where people will bring different saddles for people to try and depending where you live, some sporting goods stores are starting to carry saddles. If you could find a used XC that would probably be the best value in a comfortable saddle.

If you do not find something you like used on RS you can find people selling used saddles , sticks on saddlehunter as well. They also post meet ups where you can try different saddles.

The first year I used full length Hawk Helium's that I already had and a moveable aider. After that season I started looking around for something lighter and I also did not like coming down in the dark with a moveable aider, too many issues. I went with a one stick and rappel setup that I have used for the last two seasons and I am happy with it. Is it perfect, no however I like the flexibility to hunt at any height, only carrying 1 stick and the ability to hunt off the ultimate platform I have on the top of my one stick if it is going to be a short hang like an evening hunt with a well defined travel pattern. If it is going to be a longer hang and/or there is more of a chance that the deer could be coming from multiple directions I will use my platform along with my one stick so I have two platforms 90+ degrees apart which can make it easier to shoot at off angles. One sticking with a platform and a rappel setup can get pricy as well depending on how you approach it. There are a lot more options for sticks and fixed aiders now then there was a couple years ago.

Eastern woods outdoors has parts so you can build your own climbing sticks as well a one sticks and premade climbing sticks.

The flexibility and mobility offered by a saddle is what I like about it. I will wear my saddle and have my one stick on my pack while still hunting especially if it is new area in case I come across a hot spot and want to get up off the ground.

If you are a gear guy and can't walk pass a rabbit hole without taking a dive in....beware

Enjo

Pwalk220

FNG
I made the switch to the saddle last season and had my best year ever killing 2 over 165 and 1 over 130. I looked at and tried multiples finally settling on the latitude method 2 with the x wing platform. Super happy with it, light, fast and comfortable!

TyT10

FNG
XOP makes sticks that are under $200 shipped. Set of 4. Light weight. Have not hunted with them yet since they are new. I would suggest getting stealth tape for whatever option you choose. Novix makes affordable sticks as well. I have two sets. Love them. I also have a few sets Hawk Heliums which can be very affordable on camofire. I like the double step version best on all models.

The XOP X2 sticks are probably the best value right now for a lighter stick, without getting into carbon, Tethrd One stick or the hybrids like Timber Ninjas aluminum..

They have switched to a 7075 tube, instead of the 6061 & changed their step & standoff. I was very impressed.