Saddle Hunting

dylaneh

FNG
Hey guys. I am starting early to get ready for next season because I hope to be hunting in a saddle. So far I have figured out I am going with the Lattitude Method 2 XL. I am going to climb trees with the climbing stick method and stand on a platform probably from lone wolf or elevation. Does anyone have any recommendations for climbing sticks or platforms? What other ropes and things do I need? Are there any good YouTube people that use this method that yall would suggest?

Nevvon

FNG
I use a HYS strap from tethrd around the tree at my platform to attach my kit to. Carabiners to hold items to the strap. I also replaced all the ratchet straps on my sticks with dynema cord versalinks from tethrd to reduce bulk and weight. I added an etrier from my climbing gear to the bottom stick to give me more altitude when starting the climb. It allows me to palce the bottom stick abiut 5 feet off ground.

With the ropes I'd say get a kong duck for both tethrd and lineman rope makes life easier. For stick and platform the stuff from tethrd, beast sticks, and other brands made for mobile hunting will work. Changing the straps out make a big difference in noise also with whatever stick you get.

Visit saddle hunter. You will have answers in seconds. But, the rzr platform is nice the lone wolf is proven. The new 8mm predator rope is a good choice.
Wild line ropes

Macintosh

WKR
…I am going to climb trees with the climbing stick method and stand on a platform probably from lone wolf or elevation. Does anyone have any recommendations for climbing sticks or platforms?
Do you mean traditional sticks, like you’ll carry 3 or 4 sticks and use those? Or are you meaning 1-sticking? Each would result in very different answers. Not sure how much hunting from a tree you have done, but some info on what the areas younare hunting are like and why you are gravitating to a saddle would help get you a better answer. Ie if you are using it because its easier to hide behind the tree and your approaches will all be short you’ll probably get different answers than if you are hoofing 2-3 miles every trip up a mountain. For general purpose I think the novix short double-sided sticks or the short Hunting Beast sticks are the best balance of weight, packability and cost. I prefer a smaller platform as well, I’d say you want the platform under 3 pounds or else you might be more comfortable in one of the mini tree stands that arent much heavier.
What other ropes and things do I need? Are there any good YouTube people that use this method…
A linemans belt, a tether, and a way to attach the tether to the bridge on your saddle (a prussik or a mechanical rope-grab). Plus a way to hang your bow/gun and gear from the tree—a strap with hooks or a way to hang stuff. A pull-cord so you can pull your bow up after you. And a way to carry all this stuff around and up the tree, ie a pack and probably at least one dump pouch you can hang off your saddle.
Although I find him kind of annoying, and it shows a tree stand instead of a saddle, this guy has a few good videos that show traditional climbing stick use pretty well. Just search youtube for “how to climbing sticks lineman belt hunting” and you’ll get hundreds of hits, just see where the similarities are between various methods and start there, and beware of anything that almost everyone isnt doing, at least to start. Best advice I have is that you need to practice, so incorporate it into your scouting.

Last edited:

fwafwow

WKR
+1 on saddlehunter.com.
Hey guys. I am starting early to get ready for next season because I hope to be hunting in a saddle. So far I have figured out I am going with the Lattitude Method 2 XL. I am going to climb trees with the climbing stick method and stand on a platform probably from lone wolf or elevation. Does anyone have any recommendations for climbing sticks or platforms? What other ropes and things do I need? Are there any good YouTube people that use this method that yall would suggest?
If you are interested in an alternative to the climbing sticks method, check out this site - https://jrbtreeclimbing.com/. I went down that rabbit hole and I’m convinced it’s the best climbing method. I bought all of the gear (he does not sell gear), taught myself the knots and concepts - but I just never followed through.

Btaylor

WKR
If you are primarily a leaner, my votes would be the EDP or Mission from Trophyline for a platform. I use the mission. Either would work to if you prefer to sit in the saddle. If you want the ability to to hunt facing the tree or away from the tree, LWCG .5 is hard to beat. There are lots of options for sticks and like mentioned above to some degree it depends on if you are planning to use a set of sticks or one stick climb. Answering the stick or sticks question may also influence rope and tether choices. You may prefer to use normal tethers or set up to rappel. Also like mentioned above there is tons of good information on saddle hunter and lots of folks willing to give opinions on all the options. The one thing mentioned above that cant be overstated is whatever route you decide to go, practice it until you have it down cold starting at ground level.

Luked

WKR
I jumped into the saddle thing last year and pretty much hunted all season last year with it.
Really enjoyed it a lot.
I used a set of Hawk Helium sticks I already had and made a 1 step aider.
The thing I did not like about the saddle hunting was carrying all the sticks with me each time into the woods. I can see where the one stick setups are slick. I havent jumped into that yet but am planning on it just mainly for the ease and lighter weight.

As far as the rope setups go I bought all of my stuff all at once used just to keep the cost down in case i didnt like it. The saddle stuff can get really expensive thats for sure.
One thing I would not live without are the Ropeman 1 tensioners. I have 2 and use each of them every time up the tree.
One is on my linemans belt climbing and the other is on my Bridge on the saddle. Them things to me are as must.

I also couldnt get by without the hauler pouches to keep everything in. I dont wear my saddle to the tree i carry it in my pack and all the ropes go in the haulers.

The way my haulers are setup is i keep the ropes lined in the hauler as i need them.
So my linemans belt is on my left side. the tree teather rope is on the right side at the top of the pouch. My hanger for my bow is below that. It comes out after im teathered to the tree.
When they go back in the pouch when im done for the hunt they are put in the same way.
Keeps everything somewhat organized as much as I can.

A lot of the companies now have where you can buy everything as a full kit. If I were to do it again this is what I would do. I did buy my platform seperate but it is nice to know your getting everything you need all at once with the kits.

Another thing do not overlook is knee pads. I thought this was kind of a joke when I first started but after a couple of test sits in the yard i ordered a set. I didnt want the pad that attaches to the tree that some have because of different ways i might move in the tree so I went with knee pads and couldnt be more happy with them.

Macintosh

WKR
^^I haul my pack up the tree with me and use the sternum strap around the tree so my knees hit the padded back of the pack. Pretty cozy, keeps pack out of the way, and keeps my snacks handy. And no knee pads required.
Heliums are popular for good reason but they are not light. I paid big bucks for a set of carbon sticks that stack without any offset, specifically so it would be less of a pain in the rear, both weight wise and space wise. That might be excessive for some folks, but it was money well spent to me, and I shed something like 4 or 5 full pounds out of my pack just changing to those sticks with a dyneema daisy for straps. For me, the stacking of the sticks was maybe even a bigger deal than the weight—- because they stack vertically with no offset, I can carry them horizontally in the load shelf of my pack, and they hardly stick out wider than my body. This makes them really easy to carry, they don’t snag on brush, and the weight is very centered and low on my back.
Also, I prefer prussiks to a mechanical rope grab. I know that’s not a popular opinion, but having climbed for many decades it comes easy to me, it’s quieter and has other uses in a pinch, and it is significantly stronger. For ease of use without a lot of practice, the mechanical rope grabs are probably better though.

Last edited:

BrianS

FNG
I used the Tethrd XL platform. You need a lineman belt rope for climbing up and down and a tree rope for when you are on the platform. Two Kong duck rope ascenders are what I use with them. Some carabiners and the Tethrd HYS strap (not necessary, but I highly recommend) should be all you need. I use the Tethrd Skeletor sticks. Not the lightest, but I don’t have to go too far with them. Tethrd has great instructional videos out there as well.

BrianS

FNG
I used the Tethrd XL platform. You need a lineman belt rope for climbing up and down and a tree rope for when you are on the platform. Two Kong duck rope ascenders are what I use with them. Some carabiners and the Tethrd HYS strap (not necessary, but I highly recommend) should be all you need. I use the Tethrd Skeletor sticks. Not the lightest, but I don’t have to go too far with them. Tethrd has great instructional videos out there as well.
You definitely want knee pads. I thought I might skip on them at first, but ended up getting them. One time I forgot them, and it makes a world of difference having them. You will be much more comfortable, which means you’re more likely to stay out there longer!

Been saddle hunting for years, I like presets and climb srt method, one stick climbing and 2TC! I agree with the others get on Saddlehunter.com I’ve been a member there for awhile and it is full of all the info on saddle hunting you would need and some of the best guys in the world! God Bless

Tjman

FNG
I use Tethrd's Skeletor sticks and Trophyline's EDP platform. I really like both and would recommend joining SaddleHunter. There's a lot of great information on there.

TheHammer

WKR
Beast sticks are top notch, you support an awesome patriot American company. The tethered guys have made a point to set the standard in saddle hunting. That being said, there are several different styles and techniques to stationary tree hunting. Hopefully what you choose fits your criteria and needs. Saddle hunting isn’t for everyone.

Sizthediz

WKR
I use Tethrd's Skeletor sticks and Trophyline's EDP platform. I really like both and would recommend joining SaddleHunter. There's a lot of great information on there.
Trophyline edp, beast sticks, cruzr xc saddle and definitely go over to saddlehunter.com. lots of good information and good people there depending on area they have meet ups from time to time where you can possibly try different things before you buy. Also search the classifieds for used sticks and platforms or any other gear. Good luck. B safe