Bergara .308 accuracy

Dd206

FNG
I recently picked up a Bergara Premier Canyon and was very excited about it. Did a full break in, and was ready to shoot test groups with around 10 different loads.
I was extremely disappointed. None of them shot anything near acceptable or consistent.
(Not including all the ammo&grouping info here, just because it’s a lot).
Before contacting Bergara I took one more go, this time using Bergara’s ‘preferred’ .308 ammo - Federal GM sierra boattail in 168 and 175.
The rifle shot outstanding with these - most 3 rd groups at around 1/2 MOA.
So those results obviously cured my heartache over the rifle I was so excited about, then was so disappointed by.
However, it still seems crazy to me that it shoots great with those rounds, and complete shit with everything else.
I have many rifles that ‘like’ certain ammo over others. But have never seen such an extreme discrepancy.
Has anyone else seen this or have other insight on it?
Thanks!

Iowafarmer

Lil-Rokslider
I own a Bergara b14 300wm it’s very finicky on ammo. 180gn nosler partitions turns it into a total scatter gun my buddy has an identical rifle it shoots 1” groups with same ammo

SDHNTR

WKR
Seen it plenty of times with factory rifles and factory ammo. Sometimes you just have to find something that agrees with all that tolerance stack up.

Not sure there is enough info to discuss.

What ammo did you try?
What bullet weights?
What were the groups like?
Any patterns of performance observed?
Cup and core or solids?

The 2 federal loads you listed are heavier, longer bullets, at moderate velocities. Also boat tail bullets with tangent ogive.
In my checking those Federal loads have had better than average run-out for factory ammo.

Maybe your rifle doesn’t like light bullets, higher velocity (hotter) loads, shorter bullets, secant ogive, flat base bullets, sloppy headspace, ect….

Maybe go back and try the original loads again. Maybe the barrel just needed some copper laid down to make it shoot?

You could have a new barrel installed or sell it and get a different rifle.

Chainshaw

FNG
I have 2 Bergara B14s and they are both accurate beyond my capabilities. My B14 hunter in .308 absolutely loves the 175gr Terminal Ascent.