Best 270 Win bullet for Elk

kcm2

WKR
One other thing. Elk are delicious. For that reason alone, the lower meat damage from a controlled expansion bullet pushes me to the AB, Partition and copper bullets.

CoMulies

FNG
Appreciate all the reply’s. Unfortunately have not ventured into hand loading (yet), so need to stick to factory ammo and I haven’t found any hammer loads.

Shot a few boxes this past weekend and the 129gr LRX’s were grouping just at an inch out of my Weatherby Mark V Hunter. Figure it’s not going to get too much better than that out of a lightweight hunting rifle with factory ammo, so will likely go with those as my do it all next fall.

Houseminer

Lil-Rokslider
I've shot a few elk with Federal partitions in 150 grains out of my .270. Worked just fine.

Probably been discussed on here a million times but here is 1,000,001. Can’t find rifles or ammo in 280 AI, 7PRC or 300PRC so I’m going with the old gal this year… 270 Winchester model 70. For a 400 yard maximum self-imposed range, what bullet is ideal? 150 partition, 150/140 Accubond, 136 Terminal Ascent, or the 129/130 monolithics like LRX and CX? Maybe splitting hairs here. But what say ya??
Hey OP- what year is your model 70? My dad handed down a 1983 XTR Featherlight, and I'm hoping to find factory ammo that it likes to do prettymuch the same thing you're talking about here.