Best 270 Win bullet for Elk

TheHammer

WKR
I had two ELDX bullets in 6mm, shot from a 6mm Creedmor, expand way too quickly. One was a witnessed shot at 100 yards, lung hit a little high, fall, get up and run away, never to be found again. The 2nd shot, at 275 yards measured, didn't penetrate 4 inches, which was easy to tell when I cleaned it.

So, much as I love the Hornady CX and GMX bullets, the ELDX is not on my list. Hornady makes good stuff, so this may have been an anomaly. But my rule is that if you let me down during hunting season, you get replaced.
For every positive experience on the eldx there is an equal negative experience. I have witnessed 3 failure 2 of which required multiple shots with equal explosions/jacket separations and one poor outcome I’d deem unethical. 3 of the 4 were not poor shot angles or bad placement. It’s a no go for me and I try to steer as many people away from it as possible, might make a great varmint round or target option.

crrakcrrak

Lil-Rokslider
I have taken many elk with the 270 at ranges from 15 yards to 500 yards. All have been taken with the Nosler Ballistic Tip 150 gr, most have been one shot kills but none too more than two shots. The NBT with my experance has been the best for elk in the 270. But it all comes down to shot placement.

kcm2

WKR
For every positive experience on the eldx there is an equal negative experience. I have witnessed 3 failure 2 of which required multiple shots with equal explosions/jacket separations and one poor outcome I’d deem unethical. 3 of the 4 were not poor shot angles or bad placement. It’s a no go for me and I try to steer as many people away from it as possible, might make a great varmint round or target option.
Well, thank you for confirming what I saw. Drinks are on me if either of us is on the other guy's turf.

OP
Ag111

Ag111

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah my plan is to try the 145 eldx for hogs in Texas at 300-500 yards. I have heard mixed things about them though…some people swear by them and others have had bad experiences. For elk where a shot could be just as easily at 50 yards as it could be at 400 yards, the eldx is not the best choice for me most likely. I am prioritizing a sturdier bullet that can penetrate deeply at most angles.

JDM270WSM

FNG
Try 61.5 grains of reloder 26 behind a nosler 140 grain accubond and you will get 3100 fps + and enough juice for 600 yards.

jimmy33

WKR
I have killed probably 20 elk with a 270 or 270wsm. Corelokts, accubonds, partitions, eldxs, ssts, e-tip…all have worked. I dont shoot elk with an sst or core lokt anymore. I am more aware of bullet use and construction and shy away from them. They worked, but so far nothing has compared to a 150 grain partition, 140 grain accubond, or the 130 grain etip. The eldx did well on my Idaho bull a few years ago but I like the added penetration I got from the nosler bullets mentioned above in particular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RickH

Lil-Rokslider
All the elk I have taken with my 270 have been with the Nosler Partition 150 grain. Looking to try the Barnes tsx or ttsx 130 gr this year maybe.

Tx270WT

FNG
Im excited to see what I can get out of the 150 gr accubonds. Will be going through a new Brux tube. 3000 ft/sec should be achievable.

CoMulies

FNG
Thanks for all the feedback guys, much appreciated. Probably going to look hard at the 129 LRX, 136 Terminal Ascent, and 150 partitions
Out of curiosity, what’d you end up going with?

I’m deciding between the 129 LRX, 136 TA, and 150 ABLR right now for mule deer and elk. All are over 1500 ft/lbs at 500 yards at my elevation with LRX and ABLR grouping just sub moa and the TA just over moa. Leaning LRX right now.

180ls1

WKR

I’m deciding between the 129 LRX, 136 TA, and 150 ABLR right now for mule deer and elk. All are over 1500 ft/lbs at 500 yards at my elevation with LRX and ABLR grouping just sub moa and the TA just over moa. Leaning LRX right now.

.270 was my go to for years. Honestly I would run any of those without hesitation. SST were my favorite as I actually found the more "explosive" bullets worked better.

I ran a 130 grain TTSX with great success out a 270. I’ve also had really great luck with something more frangible like a Berger (130 grain) on elk and deer out of the same gun.

CoMulies

FNG
.270 was my go to for years. Honestly I would run any of those without hesitation. SST were my favorite as I actually found the more "explosive" bullets worked better.
Yea that’s what I’m thinking. Gonna go with whatever’s shooting best, which is the LRX. Doesn’t hurt that it’s cheaper than the ABLR.

S.Clancy

WKR
I shoot 126 gr Hammer Hunters pushed at 3250 fps out of my Model 70. Furthest kill was 656 yd on a ~320" bull, DRT. I have had incredible results with the Hammer Hunter and they are very, very accurate.

If you don't like monolithic, Sierra used to make a TMK, but I haven't seen it recently. I've shot some with the ELD-X, but they were all under 250 yds.

WKR
Barnes TTSX or Nosler Partition. These punch above their weight, so 130s are fine for elk.

If you are determined to use 150s for elk, that's okay, but the 130 for deer and antelope and 150 for elk and moose is more of a rule from the cup and core days.

Byrdman

FNG
I am also working up a load for elk this fall. Currently going to experiment with Nosler 165gr ablr in a new fast twist xbolt. If that doesn’t shoot to my liking I will try barnes 155 Lrx. If I didn’t have the fast twist would definitely look at the lighter 129 Lrx for the penetration and higher bc mono.