Best moose meat hauling frame pack?

In 2022 I used my KUIU pack with the meat shelf and it worked great to pack out two moose. We were hunting from a boat and the pack got pretty beat up. Outside of meat hauling, I really don’t have a need for a backpack since we are mostly hunting close to the boat/river. I am thinking about picking up a frame pack solely for hauling meat. ALPS has one, eberlestock F1 mainframe is another I have been looking at. I am a big huscular guy at 6’5” 260 lbs, so finding something that fits may be a problem. Any other thoughts?

OP
PredatorSlayer
My buddy had a alps and didnt like it. not much padding on the straps. I really like my barneys.
My buddy took the alps a couple years ago and said it worked fine. I think he did some stuff to it prior to the hunt to make it a little more load friendly though. I’ll check out barneys.

Schism

WKR
I researched this topic for a moose hunt I did several years ago. At the time, Alaskans with experience moose hunting and hauling moose meat seemed to recommend the Freighter sold by Barney's Sports Chalet. I didn't end up purchasing one for that hunt but I would give them a call and see if one of their packs would fit you.

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldnt spend any money on a backpack for a boat hunt anything with a frame will do. Camp trails frames are laying around everywhere in AK

AKBorn

WKR
My Barney's pack could have handled 2.5 times as much weight as I was physically able to carry, it's a great pack for heavy loads. That said, back in the day I did pack a moose and a few caribou out with my old Camp Trails Moose Pack II, worked fine as well.

Voyageur

WKR
Below is a post I made in 2022 regarding the Alps pack frame. After 2 additional years of use I still feel the same about it. The thread it was posted to was titled "Anything compare to a Barney's"
From 2022:
A little over a year ago I purchased an Alps Outdoorz Commander Lite to be used as a loaner pack and to keep in my vehicle during our 4 month long archery deer season. So far I have used it while shed hunting, hauling 50# sacks of feed, and for tree stand set up and maintenance. In addition it has packed 3 antelope, 2 deer, and 1 bear from the field. The shortest pack out was 3/4 of a mile and the longest 2.5 miles. I keep my loads to 75 lbs. or less with the average somewhere around 50-60 lbs.
I'm not in any way suggesting the Alps pack to be on par or even close in quality to the Barney's pack. It is however a less expensive alternative that works in the right scenarios. If I were still of the age where I was loading the pack up with 100 lb. loads the Alps probably wouldn't hold up. Because I'm of an age where I purposely limit the size of my loads the Alps pack works just fine for me.
The Alps won't replace my SO Fortress, but it does have its place.
Hope this adds perspective to your search.

Below is a post I made in 2022 regarding the Alps pack frame. After 2 additional years of use I still feel the same about it. The thread it was posted to was titled "Anything compare to a Barney's"
From 2022:
A little over a year ago I purchased an Alps Outdoorz Commander Lite to be used as a loaner pack and to keep in my vehicle during our 4 month long archery deer season. So far I have used it while shed hunting, hauling 50# sacks of feed, and for tree stand set up and maintenance. In addition it has packed 3 antelope, 2 deer, and 1 bear from the field. The shortest pack out was 3/4 of a mile and the longest 2.5 miles. I keep my loads to 75 lbs. or less with the average somewhere around 50-60 lbs.
I'm not in any way suggesting the Alps pack to be on par or even close in quality to the Barney's pack. It is however a less expensive alternative that works in the right scenarios. If I were still of the age where I was loading the pack up with 100 lb. loads the Alps probably wouldn't hold up. Because I'm of an age where I purposely limit the size of my loads the Alps pack works just fine for me.
The Alps won't replace my SO Fortress, but it does have its place.
Hope this adds perspective to your search.
Well, I needed another pack like a hole in my head, I've got an Exo system I use most of the time but something about the Commander Lite had caught my attention and with the same thoughts as what you're doing with it. I just googled them and sportsmans guide had them for $100 with the bag. After a promo code and whatnot it was $98 out the door.

I had the alps commander and carried it for about three years, backpacking and hunting. With a 40 lb load it was comfy enough to carry all day. 50 lbs … 6-7 miles and it was starting to pinch. 1/2 a boned mule deer and my gear….(about 80 lbs) 1 mile starting to hurt, 2 miles oh god this hurts, thank God camp was only three miles. I have no experience with Barney’s. YMMV

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Nothing even comes remotely close to a Barney’s freighter frame. Get some NRS ratchet straps and you are in business.

Wrench

WKR
That's the one.

There's another company that didn't survive called "Alaska Range" which uses the heavily padded straps and tough mounts that Barney's does. The Ak range has a welded in load shelf and will haul a spine crushing load too.if you see one used....don't be afraid.

Voyageur

WKR
I had the alps commander and carried it for about three years, backpacking and hunting. With a 40 lb load it was comfy enough to carry all day. 50 lbs … 6-7 miles and it was starting to pinch. 1/2 a boned mule deer and my gear….(about 80 lbs) 1 mile starting to hurt, 2 miles oh god this hurts, thank God camp was only three miles. I have no experience with Barney’s. YMMV
Your post reminded me that I recently added the Seek Outside strap-on lumbar pad to my Alps and it made a big improvement in the comfort factor.

Your post reminded me that I recently added the Seek Outside strap-on lumbar pad to my Alps and it made a big improvement in the comfort factor.
I have a mystery ranch metcalf now. It’s quite comfy with 80 lbs. OTOH I’m 66 years old and 80 lbs is 80 lbs.

roymunson

WKR
Barney's may not be the most comfortable, but it handles the weight better than my KUIU did. That said, both got the job done.