Best pieces from each hunting brand including gloves and why?

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
What are the best pieces of gear you have used and continue to use from each hunting brand? Including gloves from each company.

TBHasler

WKR
Interesting question...I’ll kick it off.
Jetstream by Sitka - best soft shell out there. I know there are guys/gals that are NOT soft shell fans, but if you decide there’s a place for one in your lineup, nothing beats this piece, imo.

In this topic, I now have more Kuiu pants than any others. More tops and outer pieces from Sitka. Two earlier season pieces from Firstlite. I don’t care about the “fashion” aspect, I’ve started only trying to buy the best built/designed piece that fits the need, regardless of brand.

This was my first time buying kuiu, and after reading reviews and getting advice I tried the guide pants and attacks. Both are awesome and have their places. Attacks down to 45 degrees, guides get you to 30 with a base. This is primarily stand hunting. My personal favorite is peloton 240. Lightweight, wind resistant and warm. For reference I trout fished the other day with a 250 base and the peloton. It was 40 with winds. I was chilly but not cold. Best wishes and I’ll be following.

The m5 rain gear from stone glacier is very legit, makes me want to try more pieces from them. I also am a big fan of the sitka apex top and bottoms and the timberline pants. I really like the minus33 zip off thermal bottoms. I have yet to find gloves that i think are worth the money so I'll be interested to see what people recommend.. my sitka stormfront gloves are still usable but i don't think they're worth the money

Mtnboy

WKR
Couple for me:

Sitka - Timberline Pants - Simply awesome. Super durable, fairly quiet, comfortable to hike in all day for days on end, love the waterproof seat and knees. If I could only have one pair of hunting pants to wear from early archery to late rifle, these would be it.

First Lite - Uncompaghre Jacket - Maybe not the best in any one category of "puffy" but to me this is the most versatile insulated jacket on the market. Durable. Warm when wet. Dries quickly. Cuts the wind well. Pulls moisture from the layers underneath amazingly well. Can shoot a bow while wearing it no problem. Hands down my favorite jacket....so much so I own 3 right now. This is the one item clothing item that I take on 100% of hunts.

Stone Glacier - Krux Frame (the original) - This pack has been amazing. Period. I have a Solo Bag and a 5,900 bag. 7 years later I'm at over 30 animals packed out, 180+ days of field use and I don't even have any stitching coming loose that I can find. Would (and will) gladly buy another.

Jetstream by Sitka - best soft shell out there. I know there are guys/gals that are NOT soft shell fans, but if you decide there’s a place for one in your lineup, nothing beats this piece, imo.

In this topic, I now have more Kuiu pants than any others. More tops and outer pieces from Sitka. Two earlier season pieces from Firstlite. I don’t care about the “fashion” aspect, I’ve started only trying to buy the best built/designed piece that fits the need, regardless of brand.
To each their own, being in oregon my jetstream jacket was definitely not worth what i paid for it in my opinion. It has been my biggest disappointment by far in terms of clothing ive bought

elkyinzer

WKR
Just a few that have really stood out, there's a lot out of stuff out there without much differentiation.

Sitka Kelvin Lite has been my favorite puffy. Perfect amount of insulation when you just need a bit, and a good layering piece. I prefer synthetic over down.

Outdoor Research Ferossi Hoody - everything I need in a soft shell, very light weight, comfortable, good wind resistance, brush resistance, a little water repellant

Patagonia Field Pants - Awesome brush pants that behave like mountain pants. Maybe the best piece of hunting clothing I've ever bought. Hard to find, and not even sure if they still make it. FL Sawbuck are garbage in comparison, stiff, ill fitting, shallow hip pockets and no cargo pockets.

GORE merino blend socks. Do they still make these? They are great.

Cabelas Space Rain - Putting this one as a standout on the price/quality continuum. For the price it's everything needed for packable DWR raingear to face intermittent rain. Throwing more money at ultralight DWR raingear for prolonged rain isn't the right approach, it's to get away from DWR.

OP
U

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider

I agree on finding the best pieces that fit your needs. I started doing the same thing, I am trying to build a good set up with the items that work for me. I do love the peloton 240 from Kuiu has water resistance and wind protection. I can even use it when in dry weather to protect my base layer when hiking through brush. The ascent pants from Sitka had to make my list for hot weather as well love the knee pad option which my tiburon pants don’t have.

OP
U

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
I’m
The m5 rain gear from stone glacier is very legit, makes me want to try more pieces from them. I also am a big fan of the sitka apex top and bottoms and the timberline pants. I really like the minus33 zip off thermal bottoms. I have yet to find gloves that i think are worth the money so I'll be interested to see what people recommend.. my sitka stormfront gloves are still usable but i don't think they're worth the money
Any other gloves that you like for when hunting in cold weather from the 60s down to 30s? I was looking at the catalyst soft shell from first lite they have some decent reviews.

Sitka-Timberline series, Apex pants, Fanatic hoodie, Cold weather traverse hoodie, lightweight hoodie

FL-Kiln and furnace bottoms/undies

Black Ovis- Aerowool gloves, midweight and lightweight pants

Crispi-Colorado's

Kenetrek socks

Adak bino harness (cheaper, lighter and quieter than marsupial, FHF, Kuiu, Sitka)

Carhartt-wool beanie

OP
U

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
What are the best pieces of gear you have used and continue to use from each hunting brand? Including gloves from each company.
Any gloves you guys would recommend for 60s down to 30 degree weather from any brand that are good while hunting?

OP
U

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
Sitka-Timberline series, Apex pants, Fanatic hoodie, Cold weather traverse hoodie, lightweight hoodie

FL-Kiln and furnace bottoms/undies

Black Ovis- Aerowool gloves, midweight and lightweight pants

Crispi-Colorado's

Kenetrek socks

Adak bino harness (cheaper, lighter and quieter than marsupial, FHF, Kuiu, Sitka)

Carhartt-wool beanie
Great list thank you! I do love my bino harness from Kuiu as well comes with a rain pouch I believe it’s the older model. The new model they have now it’s waterproof from what I heard.

OP
U

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone using Kryptek? I have been looking at their altitude line. It’s just kind of more expensive than the other brands. The Ghar Jacket looks well made any thoughts?

I’m not much of a glove guy but I picked up a pair of these this year and have been extremely impressed for what I need. They are uninsulated but are fleece lined with gore-Tex. I can say they are definitely wind proof and water proof. They were $25 and if it’s crazy cold I wear the cabelas m50 muff. It’s like a furnace for your hands even without adding hot hands. These will easily get you to 30 and possibly little less.

KODIAK" GORE-TEX® INFINIUM GLOVE - REALTREE EDGE​

made by hot shot

OP
U

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
[/QUOTE]

Do you have the Talus Hybrid pants by any chance?

dlee56

WKR
These leather insulated mittens have been one of the best purchases I've made in the last 5 years, from October on they live in my pack for hunting, beaver trapping, etc.
Flylow Mittens

Also, goes without saying but the Kifaru puffy is worth its weight in gold. Cold, wet, windy, keeps you warm. Bulletproof.
Kifaru Lost Park Parka

Mtnboy

WKR
Any gloves you guys would recommend for 60s down to 30 degree weather from any brand that are good while hunting?

I have some Sitka Jetstream gloves that I love for that application and even a little colder, however they don't make them anymore and I'm not sure what the new equivalent is.... anybody know? I believe there is one and if it's similar they should be pretty damn good.

I've already patched some small holes in the fingers of mine with seam sealant, probably get one more year out of them but I'm gonna have to make a switch at some point.

elkyinzer

WKR
I don't know who would need gloves in the 60's but I guess in Florida that's cool weather.

Ragg wool gloves for 30-40's
Ragg wool glomitts for 10-20's

OP
U

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
These leather insulated mittens have been one of the best purchases I've made in the last 5 years, from October on they live in my pack for hunting, beaver trapping, etc.
Flylow Mittens

Also, goes without saying but the Kifaru puffy is worth its weight in gold. Cold, wet, windy, keeps you warm. Bulletproof.
[URL='https://kifaru.net/store/logo

Will definitely check them out thanks!

jfs82

WKR
Anyone using Kryptek? I have been looking at their altitude line. It’s just kind of more expensive than the other brands. The Ghar Jacket looks well made any thoughts?
I use some kryptek pieces, like them plenty (most of my clothing is kuiu and kryptek). Regarding the altitude, there is indepth reviews from rokslide staff if you do a search.

Really like:
Peloton 240
TIburon series (my seasons start in 90-100 degree weather)
Attack pants
Ghar
takur gaiters
peloton 97
sonora shirt