Best rest for shooting out the window?

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm a quadriplegic and have to shoot out of the vehicle most of the time when I hunt (where it's legal). I've been using the Spartan Sucker Mount to attach to the window or door, and have increased my effective range by 200 yards.

Because of the stability this provides (I have very limited hand function) I think it's the ultimate shooting rest that I have found so far, but I'm always open to new ideas. Have any of you use this yet? Do you have any other ideas for blasting varmints and targets from your vehicle this spring?

sucker mount.jpg

Its probably dependent on what upper body capabilities you have but it might be worth looking into what bag setups top PRS folks use to shoot off barricades.

A game changer bag works. It’s not a mount, but does give a large flat surface to rest the rifle on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varminterror

Lil-Rokslider
A pint sized HFWC Gamechanger is my go-to support and it works very well from a truck window. Run a lanyard through the strap so you don’t drop it out of the window with a challenging retrieval.

Last edited:
OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks everyone so much for the suggestions! The Sucker Mount gives me an added level of precision over bags because I can load a little bit of body weight into it. With my limited upper body ability though, I don't have a very good range left to right. For able bodied folks it would be awesome, but I'm looking for another bag to run in conjunction with it for those shots that are farther off to one side or the other. I've got an old Caldwell bag, but I'm definitely going to check out some of these bags you guys suggested!

Armageddon gear makes a hole lone of bags as well.
Maybe email the they seem like a great company as well and I'm sure could help with a bag, technique.

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Armageddon gear makes a hole lone of bags as well.
Maybe email the they seem like a great company as well and I'm sure could help with a bag, technique.

You must have been reading my mind because I was just checking them out. Thanks for the suggestion!

Another option maybe be something like a tri clops or an arca swiss mount, and then adapt it to a spotting scope window mount.

My game changer is from Armageddon and it’s rad. Also there’s a company that makes a similar one called ‘the udder’

I wonder if there’s a strong magnet type mount with an arm to maneuver like you need. With a clamp or arcs rail type attachment. More solid than the bag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Armageddon Gear's - Pint Sized Game Changer ……. is absolutely awesome and most likely a perfect fit for this application. If a shooter wants to load a little bit of weight into the rifle, it's easy to accomplish by lightly pressing the magazine or trigger guard into the bag. Also, because you don't need to have the window raised up 6 inches, like you do with the Spartan Sucker Mount, you have more options for the shooting height/angle of the rifle (think shooting uphill/downhill out of the vehicle)…..it's easy to do, simply raise or lower the window.

Thanks everyone so much for the suggestions! The Sucker Mount gives me an added level of precision over bags because I can load a little bit of body weight into it. With my limited upper body ability though, I don't have a very good range left to right. For able bodied folks it would be awesome, but I'm looking for another bag to run in conjunction with it for those shots that are farther off to one side or the other. I've got an old Caldwell bag, but I'm definitely going to check out some of these bags you guys suggested!
Another bag to consider is Armageddon Gear's - Fat Bag (comes in 3 different sizes). This bag is really helpful in providing support for the upper body and firing hand /arm.

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
In the video, it appears that the Spartan Sucker Mount, is collapsing under recoil.

You're right, it did collapse a little. With my limited mobility the way I shoot, it let's the rifle kick back much harder then it would for an able bodied shooter. I left the adjustment of that little finger that plugs into the stock totally loose so that the rifle didn't kick back and potentially break the window. It wouldn't be a problem for able bodied shooters because they can actually hold the rifle. Good eye!

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Armageddon Gear's - Pint Sized Game Changer ……. is absolutely awesome and most likely a perfect fit for this application. If a shooter wants to load a little bit of weight into the rifle, it's easy to accomplish by lightly pressing the magazine or trigger guard into the bag. Also, because you don't need to have the window raised up 6 inches, like you do with the Spartan Sucker Mount, you have more options for the shooting height/angle of the rifle (think shooting uphill/downhill out of the vehicle)…..it's easy to do, simply raise or lower the window.

Thanks for the great idea! Armageddon gear has been referred to me a couple times, so I'm looking at their website now. I think the bag you recommended could work great for when I need to shoot further to the left or right without moving the vehicle. I'll use it in conjunction with the sucker mount so I can still use the Spartan Sucker Mount when I need the best precision for long range shots.

stonewall

WKR
@Oregon Hunter

I know this is an old thread. I’m looking for a truck window system for my kids at the moment. I found a product out of Australia that looks pretty cool and thought I’d share:

For now, considering cost and shipping time, I’m planning to go with the bog death grip mount on a window mount. Should have the setup by the weekend and can test it out

Do you think I need to be concerned about recoil damaging the truck window?