Best sub $400 scope for browning x bolt in 30-06?

DMR69th

FNG
Classified Approved
Hey all looking to get some advice on what the best hunting scope would be sub $400. I’ve been looking at the vortex diamondback tactical ffp for about $400, anything that you think beats it in value?

I think the Trijicon 3-9x40 is about 400 bucks, but it’s not FFP. Not familiar with Vortex but if you are set on FFP that seems like a steal. Been playing around with a Maven here lately that I’m impressed with, paid about that much for it but also SFP.

diverc18

Lil-Rokslider
+1 for the Arken EPL-4. Good scope for the money. Can also be bought well under 400 with the use of some of the discount codes that are floating around.

Another option is the sightron stac. The sfp has a much more user friendly reticle than the ffp. Best wishes

I had the vortex tactical scope and it leaves something to be desired at low light. other than that it served me well on my weatherby.

TaperPin

WKR
Many of the cheap scopes have short eye relief - I wouldn’t want a Huron‘s 2-1/2” eye relief on a 30-06.

It’s no wonder there are so many scope cuts on eyebrows.

Anything under 3” is a no go for me on any rifle, and 3-1/2” for something with decent kick is much better.

Last edited:
How do you plan on using it?
Burris Fullfield is pretty solid in that price range.
I have a few and wouldn't hesitate to buy more.
Meopta is overlooked and their glass and construction is excellent.

WKR
Many of the cheap scopes have short eye relief - I wouldn’t want a Huron‘s 2-1/2” eye relief on a 30-06.

Anything under 3” is a no go for me on any rifle, and 3-1/2” for something with decent kick is much better.
I was concerned about that as well, but having it in hand and comparing it to the swfa 3-9, I didn't think there was a discernable difference in eye relief. I'm hoping to compare it to an accupoint 3-9 this evening, and it's ER is listed at 3.2-3.6, so I will report back.

TaperPin

WKR
I didn’t mean to sound like I was poo pooing cheap scopes - just that they seem to be the biggest offenders for short eye relief, so you have to watch the specs.

Why do less expensive scopes tend to have short eye relief? There has to be a reason. I was always under the impression that field of view is reduced with longer eye relief, but looking across different 1” 3x9 specs, some with short eye relief also have the narrowest field of view. Hmm? Maybe it’s an optical trade off and the shapes or orientation of lenses to get longer eye relief are more expensive to produce? This is nothing new, because 40 years ago the Bushnell’s, Tasco’s and Nikon’s also had short eye relief.

180ls1

WKR
The listed eye relief on the Huron was a concern for me too. But after reading quite a few reviews on the scope, users reported that the eye relief was closer to 4 inches. Might be worth it if the reports are accurate.

If you can find it on sale, the Athlon Helos BTR G2 is quite a good short-mid range scope. I’ve got a 2-12x42 one on my Grendel AR setup and have been very happy so far.

Here’s a great review on it:

I'd jump on this....

Got my hopes up, til I saw 3-6 month shipping time.

WKR

Reporting back on this, messing around with a Huron and Accupoint 3-9, I would say the eye relief on the Huron is a little longer than the accupoint if anything. The Huron is a really nice scope.

I think the stated 2.6 inch eye relief was an oops and that's why the scope is so heavily discounted. Not buying another one is an absolute exercise in self control.

Tmac

WKR

The eye relief is actually 2.5” - 3.7“. Dial the power down a bit and you are fine.