Best Value Rain Gear?

tfitter

FNG
Hi all, thanks in advance for any input.

My dad is looking for some decent rain gear at a decent price. He is not a backpack hunter and would not be as active as most of us while using rain gear. His uses for it would mostly be still hunting in the rain, fishing, and walking the dog. Looking for a waterproof option for jacket and pants. I really wanted to get him that core4 element torrent set, but they do not have his size any longer. Just thought I would ask for any other options.. Budget would be $100 to $200 for the set.

Thanks again,

Tyler

If he isn't going to be active at all, check out the Helly Hansen Impertech II stuff. I have a set I use for fishing and it's great and definitely waterproof. However, this stuff really doesn't breathe so if he will be doing much activity at all, it might not be the best. It's also not the lightest option but it won't wet out like breathable rain gear.

Check out the Sylo stuff. You can order if from camofire for $200 for the set.

I had a set and it was really nice stuff, just ran a little big I thought. I wear large in all my Sitka gear, and the medium Sylo jacket would've been plenty, even with a couple layers underneath. The pants were also way too long for me. I', 5'8", and I had about 6" of pant left at the bottom of mine, so if your dad is taller than I am, he would be alright.

Have you tried Amazon for the torent? Marmot precip pretty easy to find onsale should be under $200 for both and have earth tones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thanks for reply guys - fng, yes I have tried amazon for the core4, but no luck. I'll take a look at the options posted.

The Kuiu Teton does pack down nice if he needed it to and has kept me dry a few times on days that is wasn't supposed to rain. And it looks like it will fit the budget.

Core 4 Element Torrent Rain gear is at a good price point. A bit heavy, but quiet. The jacket I have can get saturated after a half-full hour of torential downpour, but it works for me. I got the jacket for ~$150.

You could look at the Kryptek Poseidon set. I don't know what it's going for now, but I picked it up last year for about $140 and that's the jacket and pants. It's lightweight and packs down small.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I say go on eBay and get Marpat gore-tex trousers and top (has pitzips, is quiet and durable). You can getnanset for $80+ dollars depending on sizing and if it's desert or woodland.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Best value is used brand name stuff. Buy off the classifieds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had good success with cabela's space rain. It is usually on sale for a decent price. Only down side is it doesn't breathe the greatest, but wasn't expecting it to for the price.

Check out new APECS rain jackets on eBay. I have one set on navy AOR2 and one in MARPAT. I took my time and waited for good deals and get the sets for around 200 each new with tags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back