Best way to set up the Kifaru gun bearer?

Elite

WKR
I have been using this gun bearer for a few years now and I am wondering how everyone sets it up on there backs? I can never find a good position for it. It’s either pointing to far out and every time I turn a bit the barrel goes
I’m front of my line of sight which get annoying when it happens constantly and then tight against the body the barrel is hitting my hats cap. Curious to see some pictures or solutions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PNWGATOR

WKR
I switched to the Stone Glacier rifle carrying system due to the aforementioned reasons. Rifle is still readily accessible, but rides on the waist belt and pack frame. It’s out of the way, carries nicely and is still convenient.
That said, with the Kifaru it was more or less immediately in my field of view and I dealt with it. Headlamp made it more annoying.

Chris B

Lil-Rokslider
Took me several trips with a lot of adjustment to get it right . Once I got it right I personally find it superior to any other method . Some guys are never comfortable with it .

Watching...I have one that I have never used yet. All my backpack hunts have been bowhunting. This year will get used for the first time.

I couldn’t get the rifle to stop swinging around either. Ended up adding a piece of webbing from the cradle to one of the plastic loops on the bottom of the pack. Put a little tension on it and the rifle swing is eliminated. I’m sure you could use any cord you have laying around as well.

Decker9

WKR
I run my butt in the cradle, but I run my rifle up my side compression strap of my bag. I couldn’t get comfortable with my rifle swinging out infront of me. I also found after 2-3 days of front carry, that shoulder would start to get lame.

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
I've struggled with the GB for a lot of seasons with much of what was said above and finally went for the EXO solution. It's a bit different, but I like it. I set a hunter partner's up on his side and I put mine on the back of the pack. I really like it out of the way on the back. Still pretty easy to deploy when you slide the pack off.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
I switched to the Stone Glacier rifle carrying system due to the aforementioned reasons. Rifle is still readily accessible, but rides on the waist belt and pack frame. It’s out of the way, carries nicely and is still convenient.
That said, with the Kifaru it was more or less immediately in my field of view and I dealt with it. Headlamp made it more annoying.

How do you like the SG? I have been eyeing that one up. Does it deploy quick and easy like it shows on the videos? I hunt in serious grizzly country

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
I run my butt in the cradle, but I run my rifle up my side compression strap of my bag. I couldn’t get comfortable with my rifle swinging out infront of me. I also found after 2-3 days of front carry, that shoulder would start to get lame.

Could you still quickly deploy?

madcalfe

WKR
the SG you can still quick deploy as long as you keep the tail handy. The kifaru is quicker though.
I have no issues at all with my kirfau, although I only have a 20' barrel so that could make a difference.
I also like the kifaru for going through thick stuff better.
Running the SG my barrel always seemed to snag on branches

PNWGATOR

WKR
the SG you can still quick deploy as long as you keep the tail handy. The kifaru is quicker though.
I have no issues at all with my kirfau, although I only have a 20' barrel so that could make a difference.
My experience is very similar. SG is very handy and accesible if you keep the tail handy. Not as quick as the Kifaru simply based on placement of the rifle and I agree the Kifaru is easier to navigate the thick stuff

Jethro

WKR
I'm right handed and have bearer on my right side. Bottom bucket is short and as close to pack as I can get on the hip belt. Barrel is pretty close to my face, I don't have it far out in front of me. Believe my top strap is between barrel and bell of scope. I keep my rifle scope down. I find it more comfortable/stable. Yes, I lose some "quick deploy", but 99% of the time I'm not looking for that feature. Most of my bearer use is hiking in/out mornings/evenings.

First couple hikes, barrel by face was awkward. That was 2 years ago. Can't say I really even notice it now. Of course I got highly acquainted with the bearer 2nd rifle 2021. 8 days and not a single reason to unleash my rifle.

When hunting with a buddy or daughter I may keep gun in bearer for longer periods of time. Definitely feel some shoulder and hip fatigue on that side after a whole day.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
I'm right handed and have bearer on my right side. Bottom bucket is short and as close to pack as I can get on the hip belt. Barrel is pretty close to my face, I don't have it far out in front of me. Believe my top strap is between barrel and bell of scope. I keep my rifle scope down. I find it more comfortable/stable. Yes, I lose some "quick deploy", but 99% of the time I'm not looking for that feature. Most of my bearer use is hiking in/out mornings/evenings.

First couple hikes, barrel by face was awkward. That was 2 years ago. Can't say I really even notice it now. Of course I got highly acquainted with the bearer 2nd rifle 2021. 8 days and not a single reason to unleash my rifle.

When hunting with a buddy or daughter I may keep gun in bearer for longer periods of time. Definitely feel some shoulder and hip fatigue on that side after a whole day.

This is Carly how I have mine but might try butting the scope facing down. The barrel still will be in the line of sight though.

Is there any other systems available?

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR

How did you have yours set up with a 20” barrel? Mine is 22” so not much longer. I agree the The kifaru is very good in thick bush which I hunt often around home

ThunderJack49

Lil-Rokslider
How do you like the SG? I have been eyeing that one up. Does it deploy quick and easy like it shows on the videos? I hunt in serious grizzly country

Either one feels really slow when you bump a bear unexpectedly. I did it once with the gun bearer (which I'm fond of). In my opinion, it's just not fast enough to be my primary grizzly weapon. It gets in the way sometimes but it is also handy to glass off of. Pros and cons to everything I guess.