Big Binocular Options

TreeDux

FNG
I’m in the market to drastically upgrade my glass. Binoculars with a tripod are the most appealing option at the moment. I’m primarily interested in the Meostar B1 in 12x50 or 15x56. Also looking at Geovid R 15x 56. First question is how effective are the 56s without a tripod? Are they too big to be steady for more than a quick glance when hand holding ? And with the Geovid R can you effectively range find without a tripod? My need is driven for now by an upcoming Arizona mule deer hunt. I expect it to be glass dependent but would prefer to take just one set of glass.

All glass is better when tripod mounted.

The bigger the glass the bigger the benefit of tripod mounting.

Don't skimp on tripods and heads, your setup is only as good as your weakest link.

10s- surprisingly big benefit from use with a tripod, yet able to handheld steadily

12s- tripod is necessary but can still be handheld fairly ok. Not near as comfortable as 10s but doable.

15s and bigger- tripod only

In my opinion, 12s are a great standalone bino but rangefinding 10s combined with 15s is a killer setup. 10s on the chest and 15s in the pack.

CorbLand

WKR
15X56 (any brand you want) are by far the best option for being behind the glass for a long period of time.

You can free hand 15 powers but not for long and not very effectively. They really need to be put on a tripod.

Any set of binos effectiveness is increased by putting them on a tripod. I put my 8s on a tripod if I am going to be glassing for more than about 5-10 minutes. Its remarkable.

OP
TreeDux

TreeDux

FNG
10s- surprisingly big benefit from use with a tripod, yet able to handheld steadily

12s- tripod is necessary but can still be handheld fairly ok. Not near as comfortable as 10s but doable.

15s and bigger- tripod only

In my opinion, 12s are a great standalone bino but rangefinding 10s combined with 15s is a killer setup. 10s on the chest and 15s in the pack.
Yes, that seems like a very solid combo. I’m even seeing where guys throw a spotter in to go with 2 sets of binoculars. It’s probably common but it’s also hard for me to fathom carrying all that. I will consider 12s and lower power rf binos.

OP
TreeDux

TreeDux

FNG
15X56 (any brand you want) are by far the best option for being behind the glass for a long period of time.

You can free hand 15 powers but not for long and not very effectively. They really need to be put on a tripod.

Any set of binos effectiveness is increased by putting them on a tripod. I put my 8s on a tripod if I am going to be glassing for more than about 5-10 minutes. Its remarkable.
Thanks for the insight. I went and held some 15s in the store yesterday. You can’t tell much in the store but they certainly were not as unwieldy as I expected. Glassing would all be tripod work but it’s nice to know I can take a peak at something without setting up a tripod.

CorbLand

WKR
Thanks for the insight. I went and held some 15s in the store yesterday. You can’t tell much in the store but they certainly were not as unwieldy as I expected. Glassing would all be tripod work but it’s nice to know I can take a peak at something without setting up a tripod.
Quick looks are definitely doable. Especially if you use squeeze them against a hat brim or use a trekking pole to help stabilize them.

Spent a lot of time behind the glass last year looking for sheep and headed for aoudad in a couple of weeks. Do not skimp on a tripod, get a quality one. They dont have to costs thousands. A decent head also makes a difference.
E008E3B4-1FFF-4ABB-B3A6-608C12612612.jpeg

OP
TreeDux

TreeDux

FNG
Quick looks are definitely doable. Especially if you use squeeze them against a hat brim or use a trekking pole to help stabilize them.

Spent a lot of time behind the glass last year looking for sheep and headed for aoudad in a couple of weeks. Do not skimp on a tripod, get a quality one. They dont have to costs thousands. A decent head also makes a difference.
View attachment 601805
I regularly apply for auodad and bighorn sheep. Do you find 12s sufficient for that level of glasswork? And where’s a good place to start with a quality tripod? I have done a fair amount of western hunting, but the majority of it required very little glass work. For the reminder, I just made do with what I had. Admittedly, this is a bit new to me, but my eyes are not what they used to be but fortunately, neither is my budget.

CorbLand

WKR
I regularly apply for auodad and bighorn sheep. Do you find 12s sufficient for that level of glasswork? And where’s a good place to start with a quality tripod? I have done a fair amount of western hunting, but the majority of it required very little glass work. For the reminder, I just made do with what I had. Admittedly, this is a bit new to me, but my eyes are not what they used to be but fortunately, neither is my budget.
I havent really ever used 12s to be honest. Always had 10s and my current NLs are in 8s. I know a lot of people like the 12s though and if I only could have one pair, I would give 12s a serious look.

I personally think Slik, Vanguard and Manfrotto all make affordable and good tripods. I personally like the flip locks but I am using a Slik 824 right now that has the twist locks. Carbon vs aluminum is up to you and how much you will be packing it. I like carbon because you can get a more solid tripod for the same weight as some of the smaller aluminum ones are.

Tripod heads. I know the least amount about these. A lot of people really like the Siuri VA5 but I have a Vanguard PH114V. I like the Vanguard but it does have its issues. One is that it gets really hard to pan when it gets cold and the second is when you lock it down, it will flex the head and move your binos a little from where they were looking. I bought it knowing this but it has the same plate as my window mount and I got tired of switching plates.

If you are not in a hurry, you can get a good tripod setup for 200-300 bucks. Watch for things to go on sale.

Give CameralandNY a call. They deal with this stuff everyday and I would imagine they can help you get something that will work and fit your budget. I also hear good things about the optics dude at Gohunt.

Last edited:
OP
TreeDux

TreeDux

FNG
I havent really ever used 12s to be honest. Always had 10s and my current NLs are in 8s. I know a lot of people like the 12s though and if I only could have one pair, I would give 12s a serious look.

I personally think Slik, Vanguard and Manfrotto all make affordable and good tripods. I personally like the flip locks but I am using a Slik 824 right now that has the twist locks. Carbon vs aluminum is up to you and how much you will be packing it. I like carbon because you can get a more solid tripod for the same weight as some of the smaller aluminum ones are.

Tripod heads. I know the least amount about these. A lot of people really like the Siuri VA5 but I have a Vanguard PH114V. I like the Vanguard but it does have its issues. One is that it gets really hard to pan when it gets cold and the second is when you lock it down, it will flex the head and move your binos a little from where they were looking. I bought it knowing this but it has the same plate as my window mount and I got tired of switching plates.

If you are not in a hurry, you get get a good tripod setup for 200-300 bucks. Watch for things to go on sale.

Give CameralandNY a call. They deal with this stuff everyday and I would imagine they can help you get something that will work and fit your budget. I also hear good things about the optics dude at Gohunt.
Thank you. That’s a solid start and I appreciate it. Good luck with the auodad hunt. I have not drawn one yet but NM has been good to me on the javelina tags.

Yes, that seems like a very solid combo. I’m even seeing where guys throw a spotter in to go with 2 sets of binoculars. It’s probably common but it’s also hard for me to fathom carrying all that. I will consider 12s and lower power rf binos.
If you're going to get rf binos in my opinion there is no reason to carry 12s. Opt for 15s or 18s since you'll have the lower end covered. I don't find a big enough difference in 10s and 12s to justify both

OP
TreeDux

TreeDux

FNG
If you're going to get rf binos in my opinion there is no reason to carry 12s. Opt for 15s or 18s since you'll have the lower end covered. I don't find a big enough difference in 10s and 12s to justify both
I agree with that. No need to double up too closely at comparable magnification ranges. I am considering the 2 pair option but will most likely try to roll with 12s and a separate rangefinder. Weight, costs, and my anticipated applications all play a part in that.

Imo

There is a subtle but noticeable difference between 10x42 els and 12x50 els. Each have their strengths and weaknesses. I find them very use specific.

Any binocular is only valuable when on your chest or in your hands and not in the safe or truck. Choose wisely.

15x binos are my go-to for any long range glassing session, from long sits on a hunt to spotting/ROing rifle matches. A good tripod is a must; I am firmly in the RRS with anvil camp because they are really good kit and should you need it, have great CS. For almost all other uses I carry an 8x42 RF bino.

I agree with that. No need to double up too closely at comparable magnification ranges. I am considering the 2 pair option but will most likely try to roll with 12s and a separate rangefinder. Weight, costs, and my anticipated applications all play a part in that.
I cannot emphasize my love for rf binos enough. I went from 12s and a rf, to rf 10s. You couldn't pay me to switch back. Your preference may be different, though I'd be surprised if that were the case.

I've used the vortex furys, leica geovid r, and meopta optika lr...of the 3, I still have the meoptas.

jaric

FNG
This spring I got 15x56 geovid R’s to compliment my swaro 8.5 ELs. I couldn’t be happier with the option. To answer your question, glassing with them more than just a peek at something freehand is difficult, even when supported… but you can usually squeeze a range out of them pretty easily. I find myself using my 15s way more than I would have guessed initially.

OP
TreeDux

TreeDux

FNG
This spring I got 15x56 geovid R’s to compliment my swaro 8.5 ELs. I couldn’t be happier with the option. To answer your question, glassing with them more than just a peek at something freehand is difficult, even when supported… but you can usually squeeze a range out of them pretty easily. I find myself using my 15s way more than I would have guessed initially.
That’s very helpful. I am considering those and had little choice but to assume that you would need to setup the tripod to get a range out of those 15s.

Hey guys, I didn't want to start a new thread on this topic. But I wondered where you ended up? I'm in the market to replace some older Vortex 15x glass. Looking at Maven, Zeiss, Leupold, and maybe Swaros (but those are tough on a civil servant budget). I'm leaning toward the Maven, can anyone send some comparisons or suggestions?

OP
TreeDux

TreeDux

FNG
Hey guys, I didn't want to start a new thread on this topic. But I wondered where you ended up? I'm in the market to replace some older Vortex 15x glass. Looking at Maven, Zeiss, Leupold, and maybe Swaros (but those are tough on a civil servant budget). I'm leaning toward the Maven, can anyone send some comparisons or suggestions?
I went with the Meopta Meostar 15x56 B1 Hd. This was my first set of higher end glass so maybe I don’t have much to compare to, but they are awesome. Clear and crisp. I couldn’t believe what became visible to me when I made the step up. And price wise I am not sure you can do much better.