Bikini Frame Problems

Straight6

FNG
I went on my morning hike this morning with my nomad/bikini. I only had about 50 pounds in it, this is the most weight I have put in it so far. The pack carried great but seemed to be hanging to the left, probably from my loading the pack. When I got back to the trailhead and looked over my pack t make sure the shoulder straps were even, I found the stitching where the frame and nomad connect together on the back of the lumbar pad to be separating. Has anyone had this happen before? This is my first Kifaru pack, how does Kifaru usually handle these types of situations? The biggest problem is I am leaving for my Colorado archery deer hunt on Friday. A few pics to show what I'm trying to explain. One side is separating more than the other, the right side is just starting to come apart.
IMG_2068 (256x192).jpg
IMG_2070 (256x192).jpg
IMG_2071 (256x192).jpg

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Is that where the grabit attaches? If so its double stitched, my guess is it will hold. I would tell Kifaru the issue, go hunting and send it back when you get home. You also have another loop below that to attach to if it did break.

I'm using the lower loops to attach the Nomad because I didn't like the way the Nomad peeled the upper loop away from the frame. I can still use the upper loops to attach a grab-it.

wapitibob

WKR
The Nomad will pull up on the upper loops, but, they won't pull any more than you tighten the straps. None the less, I changed how I attached all my stuff.
I went to the lower loops with the Nomad straps, then slipped the upper loops into the G hook slot to expose them.

attachment.php

I also use a long pocket and hooked the upper buckles to the Nomad straps and the lower buckles to the lower frame loop. I have a grab-it for my bow and attach it to the lower loops via G hooks as well.
Long Pocket buckles in place and G hooks/Grab-IT:

attachment.php

Nomad with hunt gear, long pocket, and Grab-IT:

attachment.php

Last edited:

Ramoniac

FNG
I've had this happen on the bar tacking of two kifaru packs I've owned in the past (a Mollex, and a Xing). Both times, they were really good about fixing the mistake quickly and paying for return shipping. Kind of a bummer that for the price these packs go for these sometimes sloppy stitching and quality control issues happen on occasion, but I have not once been let down by Kifaru's great customer service in getting it corrected, which is one of the main reasons why Kifaru continues to be my go-to when making purchases for packs and other outdoors gear. I think Ryan Avery's advice is probably your best course of action. I have no doubts Kifaru will do right by you in fixing the problem.

OP
S

Straight6

FNG
Thanks for the suggestions. Wapitibob, I like the way you rigged yours up, I think I will try that. Ill have to give them a call Monday and make a plan for after my hunt.

wapitibob

WKR
My upper loops pull up and stretch the stitching exactly like yours do if I attach the Nomad to them. By attaching to the lower loops and slipping the D ring loops into the G-Hook slot you'll still have access to both loops. In my opinion, that's how the Bikini/Nomad should have come from Kifaru.
The D-ring loops are sewn to be pulled in a downward direction, not upwards, which is fine if your grab-it sits low on the frame for meat hauling, etc. If it sits higher, as mine does when holding a bow, then the lower loops come in to play.
My Grab-it had 3 bars for attachment which limited my choices to those D-ring loops so I cut the cross bar out of a set of G-Hooks and ran the 3 bar into the G-Hook. I can now run the Grab-it just about anywhere.
fyi, You can't get a 3 bar and Highlander webbing thru a G-Hook without cutting the center bar of the G-Hook if you want to be able to get the 3 bar back out.

Wapitibob, would mind showing a picture of your cut g-hook? I've been thinking about doing the same thing but would hate to ruin a good g-hook. Thanks, Bill

Thanks for posting that sir. The picture in my head looked more like the cut in a split bar ladder lock. Greatly appreciate you