Bino Harness

For me as a bowhunter I thought the alaska guide creations were a bit bulky. I'd personally either go with FHF or Kuiu. I am currently running the Kuiu and like it so much I sold my FHF.

For me as a bowhunter I thought the alaska guide creations were a bit bulky. I'd personally either go with FHF or Kuiu. I am currently running the Kuiu and like it so much I sold my FHF.

Did you sell off your Alaska Guide Creations one yet?

Here's my opinion on the AGC vs. the KUIU now that I have them both...

AGC... It's beefier, I like the harness straps much better than the KUIU. I was concerned with the lid since I like to grab my binos often while I'm hiking around. The lid folds right inside with no problems which was great! Now I can fold the lid in while hiking around hunting and close it up if it starts to rain, snow or I'm on a 4 wheeler etc. I can crawl with no problem and not have my binos fall out with the lid open too. My Leica 1000R fits perfectly in the front pocket. I also carried 5 rounds of ammo in the side pocket, wind indicator in the other side pocket, and my license and ink pen in the back pocket. Dropping my pack for a stalk and having everything I need is great. Here's the only bad I found... It's definitely a little bulky but after I started hunting and not paying attention, I didn't even notice it. You get used to it really fast. I like to run the harness as high up on my chest as it will go. I noticed a couple times the straps loosened up a little bit and I had to retighten them. I think I can fix that with a small modification without any problems. The other thing is having the lid open all day, there was some debris (leaves, and such) in the bottom. It would probably depend on the terrain your hunting if this would be a problem or not. Really not a big deal, you just flip it upside down at the end of the day to empty anything out.

KUIU... It's definitely smaller, and more compact. Unfortunately that's the only area where it really shined. The harness straps are thin which makes it feel unstable. The fact that the harness doesn't hook to the pouch but instead to the binos itself is a major issue for me. It just doesn't feel right. I didn't find it one hand operational very easily as it's advertised. If I leave the lid open like I like to do and crawl around the binos fall out, which is a big problem. There's not much extra room to carry anything else. I really liked having my range finder in my bino harness.

Of course this is all personal opinion and everyone has a different one. There's probably not one that's better than the other. It just depends on what works for you. That being said the KUIU is packaged up for return! I'm really happy with my AGC!!!

I've been testing an Alaskan guide compact. I like it. Seems secure and good protection for the Binos. I don't like bulky stuff and don't carry and bunch of stuff in the bino.

I like the Alaskan guide compact but also like the KUIU. I think the KUIU is still sleeker and quieter.

Why isn't anyone a fan of the badlands? I've had one for two years now and think it works perfect?

I know 3 people personally that have said that very thing and they were rocking FHF and then saw my AGC bono pack in person and were sold. They always said "I was worried they'd be too big". Not they all 3 use Alaska Guide Creations. Worth trying and using one for a week long hunt. I personal don't like the pocket for this pocket for that pocket for that system of the FHF at all…..too gimmicky for my liking.

I have both and use both a lot for different applications. Mounting the FHF range finder pouch to the AGC harness works well for housing my Olympus TG-3 camera. This way I can use the front pouch on the AGC for the zoom lens and the spotter adaptor.

I've had the Badlands, S4, Alaska Guide Creations, Sitka, and am now using the FHF for both my Razor 10's which uses the medium FHF and my Swaro 15's which uses the XL FHF. I can keep my licenses, chap stick, windicator, a multi tool, a secret scent cover, and my rangefinder on both without being bulky or sagging. This surprised me considering the weight of the 15's. I have used FHF for 2 seasons now and have no need to look elsewhere.

Why isn't anyone a fan of the badlands? I've had one for two years now and think it works perfect?

I had one for years. The upper strap locations force the top of the bag to tip away from the body. The lid opens forward, which after opening and removing the binos, will snap closed forcing you to use two hands to put the binos back. The forward opening lid grabs weeds, opening the pouch and dumps your $1500 binos in the dirt when belly crawling on antelope hunts.

Love my KUIU harness. Snug to the body, light, compact, and one handed operation.

I really liked my Badlands too. Until I tried something that hugged a little tighter to my chest and seemed more compact. I bought an FHF a few months ago and I like it better.

Hmm maybe ill have to break down and try something else. Does the FHF allow dust to get into your binos?

Hmm maybe ill have to break down and try something else. Does the FHF allow dust to get into your binos?

Yea it can. There is a gap in the bottom where dust could get in. But not much. The Alaskan guide compact is completely enclosed.

I tried a badlands and it was huge and I didn't like the magnets and the slap that came with it.

Dust with the FHF is not an issue, the lid holds the binos in tight and completely covers both lenses on top and bottom, the openings Justin is talking about can alow dust to get on the bino housing but little chance they make it onto the lenses and you will not get a ton of dust, if any that is even noticeable, on your bino either. It is kind of like the floorless tarp and water issue people have a hard time with. The dust really isn't an issue or concern and has not been an issue for me after 3 years of use with the FHF.

But I guess unless you have a fully sealed compartment like a zipper or something there is always a chance a few particles of dust can get on the lenses in any bino case. You'll get more on the lenses glassing then when it is in the case with any of the bino cases imo.

Ill throw a few pennies in on this. I had the ol CH system as most of you know...there junk! I tried the FHF system nice system just a few things I hated. I went to the S4 X lockdown and love it, I love the simplicity of it...very easy one hand operation, holds binos tight on your chest and still covers the lenses on you binos.

HuntCrazy, I hear what your saying about the S4's simplicity, but I kinda want a little more protection. I do like them for early season scouting though.
One issue I have w/ bino's, particularly late season, is condensation/fogging of the lenses.
I think w/ a fully enclosed bino case, I could drop a hand warmer in the bottom and it should help keep the glass above the dew point and prevent fogging.
I also like the idea of having a couple side pockets for RF and puffer. But I don't want it huge and heavy though.
No Velcro and the fewer the buckles the better, less to chatter when belly crawling IMO.
Hunt'nFish

I keep reading and re reading these post and my head still spins. I never would have thought I would have spent this much time contemplating bino harness. Dang. From what I have seen, I like the AGC and Kuiu. I may buy both and give them a try. I don't like the attachment point with the Kuiu.

I have the AGC is well made, but it is to bulky for my taste. I prefer the FHF. My bino's, tags, windicator, and a coyote call are about all you can fit. I Prefer having everything else in my backpack/ belt pouches.

I have had the badlands and fhf. Really like the fhf but switched to a HPG chest rig for all the added utility. Now instead of just my binos, I have my gps, camera, leatherman, tags, SPOT, headlamp and knife all in one really convenient spot. On the rare occasion I drop my pack I still habpve everything I need to take care of the animal handy.

I had an AGC-too bulky for my style. Ended up w/ a Rick Young harness and a lens cover called "Clean Eyes" but I recall where I got the Clean Eyes. Ultimately, I'll probably opt for more protection but they're working good for now (looking at Kuiu).

Back