Bipod for Antelope Rifle

I’ve talked to 2 people who have solid antelope hunting experience and both have conflicting opinions on bipods. One says they are not really necessary and the other says they are required.

I already own this Swagger bipod. It’s made for sitting. Which might be okay given that we may be in sage (central WY.) - https://swaggerbipods.com/products/stalker-qd42

The bipod I’m considering is the opposite end of the spectrum. It has a limited height and seems to be primarily made for prone. - https://javelinbipod.com/products/javelin-lite

Not sure which direction to go here.

Any thoughts or experience shooting from bipods would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BDWMT

FNG
Typically a tall bipod is going to give you a lot more options considering most antelope are on semi flat terrain with sagebrush or grass. The short bipods work better in the mountains in my experience. I’m considering switching to a tripod for antelope because I’ve had several stalks that would have offered shots if I had a higher shooting platform than off the ground.

cmahoney

WKR
I used a tall bipod to take a 300 yard shot over sage from a high kneeling position a couple years ago. I had a tall Harris then, I am now using a hatch. Depends on the country but flat stuff with high sage is where you would want a bipod or tripod to get you up.

JFK

WKR
The spartan is nice and not really a hindrance since it stays detached until you need it. Brush will keep you from using it often though hunting antelope. A good combo that I’ve used and practice with is supporting the fore end with a shooting stick and tucking your pack vertically up under your arm and supporting the butt. It creates a stable platform and is fairly quick to get in position. I’m not a fan of the massive bipods that stay mounted on your rifle.

I have shot an antelope buck and had at least 2-3 others use my Caldwell prone type bipod. Not a ton of sage where we hunt with this though.

I have bi pods on my rifles for antelope hunting but usually find shooting off my back just as good, saying that it never hurts to have options.

hunterjmj

WKR
I have a javelin and it's the best bipod I've owned but over the years I've killed antelope with the javelin, off a fence post, off my backpack and rim rock . They are nice but not necessary imo.

Mt Al

WKR
Harris or Harris-type tall bipod with 'canting' option. Fixed/short bipods are of zero use to me for how I hunt (prairies/mountains/all over Montana). If you're prone you can use your backpack. Highly likely, as above, that you'll be in tall grass or around sagebrush. Being stable sitting straight up, shooting over vegitation, is how I've shot about 75% of 20+ antelope.

Of course you don't need a bipod, it's not necessary. I've shot sitting, resting elbows on my knees, used my pack frame, etc..

Reactions: Duh

Duh

WKR
Harris or Harris-type tall bipod with 'canting' option. Fixed/short bipods are of zero use to me for how I hunt (prairies/mountains/all over Montana). If you're prone you can use your backpack. Highly likely, as above, that you'll be in tall grass or around sagebrush. Being stable sitting straight up, shooting over vegitation, is how I've shot about 75% of 20+ antelope.

Of course you don't need a bipod, it's not necessary. I've shot sitting, resting elbows on my knees, used my pack frame, etc..
I second the Harris tall bipod. The swagger will work just as well if you got it already. I’ve got the accutac, atlas, tripod, Harris, and swagger. I always come back to the Harris for mulies and antelope just because they work. There are better options out there but you can’t shoot prone in the sagebrush or fall grass. The hatch is tempting too, I’m just broke.

Depends on lay of the land.

Even possibly a tripod because of flat land and possible tall grass

Be ready for any scenario for the speed goats

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Even consider a tripod with the Spartan Davros head on it to get above any taller grasses. You can get stable enough to make a good 300-400 yard shot. If you decide on a Spartan we have a promo code for RS member on our website FBFREE gets you an extra free adapter.

j_volt

WKR
I am a big fan of a "short" bipod on the rifle (I have an Atlas) and a tripod with a saddle that can be used to shooting from sitting to standing. I have shot 5 antelope... 3 have been prone (100, 305, 455), 1 was from the tripod in a kneeling position (320), and 1 was from the tripod while standing (115). I am not a huge fan of tall bipods.

Never had one for antelope but of the 4 or 5 goats I've shot(not including shot at) all were from the prone position(military sling for support)

Fetty Wapiti

Lil-Rokslider
I would say ditch a short bipod. If you are prone you can just use clothing, your pack, etc. If it is flat, you will need height. Any bipod/tripod that adjusts from sitting to standing is your best bet.

Get a normal bipod and then a set of wiser quick stix. So easy quick and cheap to use if you have brush to deal with

Rich M

WKR
I have a short bipod and a little shooting stick in my pack. The stick is for sitting, elbows on knees and gun in the stick, very-very stable.