Blackhorn 209- Do not be like me

OXN939

WKR
I am still in my stand right now, trying to collect myself.

I started using BH209 when it came out after reading reports it was super clean. Tried it, went fairly well, had a misfire or two over the years but tweaked enough things and ran enough ranges to convince myself it was good to go despite knowing very well that it is harder to ignite- read, more finicky- than other propellants. I've hunted for a few years with it, and used it to kill several deer.

15 minutes ago, my #1 hit list buck walked in on the trail of a doe. I played everything perfectly, wind in my face, sun at my back, concealed well, let him clear some obstructions. 45 yard chip shot. I breathe up and squeeze... a loud pop. I instinctively look at my breech to see what's up, which in hindsight I realize was a vestige of military weapons malfunction training. A second or so later, BOOM... sails it a foot or two over his back.

I am physically sick. I clean my rifles obsessively from crown to comb and know with absolute certainty that it is not possible for the rifles condition to have caused this issue. I have NEVER had a hangfire with any other powder. The charge and primer were both brand new, and every square millimeter of the rifle from firing pin to breech plug to bore to crown was just cleaned. I cannot believe how stupid it was of me to continue trusting a propellant with widely reported reliability issues even after encountering them myself in the past. If you are reading this, please learn from my mistake. Use a propellant that goes off.

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
To get ahead of any questions. Blackhorn specific breech plug, magnum 209 primer per Western Powders' recommendation. Sabot seated fully. Flash channel cleaned with drill bit, flash hole cleaned with torch tip cleaner. Bore clean and swabbed with bare dry patch before loading. Blackhorn jug was from '21, stored in a climate controlled area since being opened. Rifle was loaded two days ago and stored outside overnight in a covered environment, zero precip encountered. Small amount of breech plug grease used, visually verified there was none in the bore. Think that's it.

I am physically ill right now

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
Its an ignition problem, not a propellant problem.
Have you cleaned the carbon out of the flash channel of your breech plug? You CAN NOT clean it with cleaners. You have to chip it out with a drill bit...... TURNED BY HAND.

View attachment 628092

Read post #2. The breech plug was clean. I've been doing the 1/8th drill bit deal after every range for years. There was no oil in the flash hole or flash channel.

I would bet my life that there is nobody out there hunting with a meaningfully cleaner setup than the one that just experienced this hangfire. If it happened to me, it's waiting to happen to you.

Read post #2. The breech plug was clean. I've been doing the 1/8th drill bit deal after every range for years. There was no oil in the flash hole or flash channel.

I would bet my life that there is nobody out there hunting with a meaningfully cleaner setup than the one that just experienced this hangfire. If it happened to me, it's waiting to happen to you.
It’s still an ignition problem. Blackhorn isn’t the problem, but my question would be is what is your setup. And also, what primer

ENCORE

WKR
Read post #2. The breech plug was clean. I've been doing the 1/8th drill bit deal after every range for years.

I guess it just hasn't happened to me yet. I've shot it since it hit the market decades ago and have never had a hang fire. If it hang fires, there's an issue with the ignition system of some kind or another.
With the correct ignition system, in cold temperatures it will ignite properly.

It'll also ignite without any sabot/bullet combination or, bullet being shot bullet to bore.

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR

Sweet. I used it successfully for 5 years, just like you demo in your videos. Then this happened.

Take whatever you want from this. I don't want anyone else to experience what just happened to me.

CorbLand

WKR
That sucks. It would be interesting to know what happened overall. Sounds like you have shot from this can of powder before? If so and you didnt have any failures, something changed with the gun or something contaminated the powder.

Only hang fire I have had with BH209 is when I tried it without the proper plug.

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
That sucks. It would be interesting to know what happened overall. Sounds like you have shot from this can of powder before? If so and you didnt have any failures, something changed with the gun or something contaminated the powder.

Only hang fire I have had with BH209 is when I tried it without the proper plug.

Took one charge from this jug of powder in '21, which I killed a deer with actually from the same stand where this just happened. Closed it, put it in a climate controlled safe with all my other components. I would be willing to bet my life that nothing contaminated the powder.

Switch to LRMP breech plug. Sucks big time that happened...

I use the "Blackhorn 209 breech plug," as recommended by Western Powders.

CorbLand

WKR
In your post you say that you have had hang fires with Blackhorn in the past?

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
In your post you say that you have had hang fires with Blackhorn in the past?

Yeah I had one the first season I used it which was 2018. That was in my T/C Encore. Didn't like that so switched to my CVA and got the Blackhorn specific breech plug. That worked great for two years. Then I had another hangfire just like what happened to me today when I was verifying zero on my CVA before season, in 2020. Got a brand new jug of Blackhorn and put probably 10 more rounds through it. Got rid of the old jug and called it good.

I initially got interested in trying it because of how it is advertised as being less hygroscopic than competitors. Funny, my triple seven went off just fine in September after three days of trekking around a rainy wilderness area of Colorado at 11 thousand feet...

WCB

WKR
Shot a lot of rounds of BH209 (tc triumph) with Fed 209A and even triple 7 primers and zero issues. 90 degrees to single digits after being loaded for 2-3 days at a time. Also have shot 6 shots in a row with zero cleaning multiple times and again no issues.

Lytro

WKR
Took one charge from this jug of powder in '21, which I killed a deer with actually from the same stand where this just happened. Closed it, put it in a climate controlled safe with all my other components. I would be willing to bet my life that nothing contaminated the powder.
Did you shoot it recently before this hunt, or have you not fired the powder since the one charge you took from it in '21? Also, why did you shoot triple seven in CO and switch back to BH for this hunt?

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
Did you shoot it recently before this hunt, or have you not fired the powder since the one charge you took from it in '21? Also, why did you shoot triple seven in CO and switch back to BH for this hunt?

I fired it once this year to confirm zero. Cleaned it and put it away, then loaded two days ago.

I shoot a completely differrnt rifle for western hunts, since I can use a scope here in VA. Use Triple seven in that setup because of the potential *ignition reliability issues* with Thors.

Bottom line, it would just be truly insane for me to give BH209 another chance at this point IMO. Yeah it cleans well and you can fire multiple rounds without swabbing, but reliability is #1.

KenLee

WKR
Oh the warm and fuzzies of muzzleloader hunting.
My brother has absolutely refused to muzzy hunt the last 15 years due to all his jollies.

Lytro

WKR
I fired it once this year to confirm zero. Cleaned it and put it away, then loaded two days ago.

I shoot a completely differrnt rifle for western hunts, since I can use a scope here in VA. Use Triple seven in that setup because of the potential *ignition reliability issues* with Thors.

Bottom line, it would just be truly insane for me to give BH209 another chance at this point IMO. Yeah it cleans well and you can fire multiple rounds without swabbing, but reliability is #1.
Did you clean it with BH209 cleaner, or something different? Sorry if I missed this above, but what primer were you using?

Edit - Just saw where you said magnum primer.