BLM Grazing Lease Holders, Harassment, Misrepresentation

Just walk away? Not one person I hunt with after decades of hunting public land across Western states would or has backed down from someone who thinks they're an authority. Zero. I'm the farthest thing from a badass and laughed at two cowboys in two separate incidents, both miles off any road, and asked them if they really thought they were going to stop me from hunting public land. Both could have kicked my ass easy. But walk away? Get real. One even apologized and we hunted together for a few hours, said he'd never met anyone dumb enough to walk that many miles to shoot wild birds. I thanked him for not kicking my ass or tossing me in a mine shaft. He said, "the day isn't over..."

Honestly, do you actually know even person would answer "well....OK....I guess I'll leave and not hunt here since you seem to be in charge...I'll just walk away...I heard rumors on Rokslide about human bones in the sagebrush..." if a "live off horseback" cowboy got in their face? I admit, I have one friend who did because his young daughter was with him: circumstances. He went back the next day though.

95+% of cowboys, ranchers, leaseholders I meet way off the road are awesome, friendly people and I've met a ton. I have a pile of multi-generation cowboys and ranchers in my family. They might get a kick out of this thread.

Thanks Marbles: "Respect everyone/fear no one".
Every person in this thread advocating confrontation or physical violence over a hunting spot has lost their mind. If you have ever been in a real fight, or even taken the most basic CCW class you know that confrontation is to be avoided at all costs. That's how you or the other person ends up dead. Either outcome changes your life forever. Never EVER escalate. I hope it never happens to you.

Mt Al

WKR
Every person in this thread advocating confrontation or physical violence over a hunting spot has lost their mind. If you have ever been in a real fight, or even taken the most basic CCW class you know that confrontation is to be avoided at all costs. That's how you or the other person ends up dead. Either outcome changes your life forever. Never EVER escalate. I hope it never happens to you.

Thanks for predictably not answering the question.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
No.

Some of you don’t have much life experience outside of a phone screen and it shows.
#1 I don't even have cell service within a 50 mile radius of my house, and never owned a cell phone till i was like 30 years old, and even now it only has minutes on it when I travel. So please make up some other snappy comeback, preferably a funny one so i can at least get a good laugh this morning

#2 some of us who were raised in the southern most parts of WV in the coalfields just aren't afraid of "cowboys" no matter how tuff you try to make them sound, do you think there aren't "bones" found in the deepest hollers in WV as well?? lol Posts like yours might work on city boys, but us rednecks don't give a f**k and will confront bullies

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Yep. Just move on. That’s what all those tough guys want.

I doubt rarely will any guy living on a horse will be stronger than me. And, I doubt very seriously he’s trained more than me.

Step up and be the man or pack up and move. But, no cowboy is going to make me do that. That same desolate place offers everyone the same options.
would you look at that, a WV boy proving my point!!! lol

I love it when I see a property for sale, and the listing starts off with something like this: "600 deeded acres, and 12,000 leased BLM acres for only $20 million". Do people really think that they own that public land that they run cattle on.......or think they will own it if they buy it? $20 million.......SMH.
Plenty of them do.

Wyo corner crossing, Bundy...

#2 some of us who were raised in the southern most parts of WV in the coalfields just aren't afraid of "cowboys" no matter how tuff you try to make them sound, do you think there aren't "bones" found in the deepest hollers in WV as well?? lol Posts like yours might work on city boys, but us rednecks don't give a f**k and will confront bullies
While I don't doubt you...

There's plenty on both sides who will, and won't do anything.

The last redneck who was gonna "whip my ass" made sure I knew how willing he was to fight and didn't care at all, because of where he came from. In reality he paid my bar tab and left without even saying bye!

And I've got city slicker friends with less than zero qualms about escalating a situation.

There's only one way to find out which one you're actually dealing with.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member

The last redneck who was gonna "whip my ass" made sure I knew how willing he was to fight and didn't care at all, because of where he came from. In reality he paid my bar tab and left without even saying bye!

And I've got city slicker friends with less than zero qualms about escalating a situation.

you are very correct!

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved

Agree. A barking dog is not biting, and a growl is more likely to signals an impending bite. Humans are not much different.

#1 I don't even have cell service within a 50 mile radius of my house, and never owned a cell phone till i was like 30 years old, and even now it only has minutes on it when I travel. So please make up some other snappy comeback, preferably a funny one so i can at least get a good laugh this morning

#2 some of us who were raised in the southern most parts of WV in the coalfields just aren't afraid of "cowboys" no matter how tuff you try to make them sound, do you think there aren't "bones" found in the deepest hollers in WV as well?? lol Posts like yours might work on city boys, but us rednecks don't give a f**k and will confront bullies.
It’s like they don’t sell certain books outwest. And teach American history. The federal government couldn’t bluff or defeat these people in armed warfare in the early 1900’s. Paid Pinkerton men were no help in doing so either. They were persecuted by missionaries and still wouldn’t leave. So, no cowboy in the middle of public land is going to scare these kinds of people.

Could you imagine rolling in on a bunch of coal miners, that have crawled around in 30 inch coal their whole lives mining. And, getting out of line with them? When they know they aren’t in the wrong?

You’d better bring the rodeo because it’s going to get western pretty quick.

AG8

Lil-Rokslider
I think the bigger issue that posters are objecting to is that your original post implied (or rather outright stated) that ‘cowboys’ or whatever we want to call them are somehow superior to the rest of us. “They are stronger than you”. Maybe. Maybe not. But you can’t be surprised that a statement like that will raise a few eyebrows and draw a strong reaction on a hunting forum. I’m sure some of them probably don’t care about the law. Neither do some of my neighbors, or a whole lot of people in the city. As others have pointed out, there are plenty of places to run into the same type of people beyond the ranching industry. You are right, you shouldn’t intentionally escalate, and certainly should never go out looking for trouble. Me, I try to ignore people like that, not engage and go about my business. Be respectful but walk on by and keep doing what I was doing if things turn negative. Document and take it to whichever authority has jurisdiction after i get back out. However, if a “stronger than me and armed” individual chooses to peruse and threaten my life (as by your ‘bones in the desert’ comment), well then I have the same right to defend my life there as I do walking down the sidewalk downtown (in my state anyway). Obviously no one wants that to happen.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
This just needed repeating.

@GlendonMullins , You out in Green bank?

I thought you were well within 50 mile radius of me, granted it's twice as far by road.
If I walked out my front door, and crossed the mountain that I hunt and one smaller one I would be looking right at the big dish. So not very far as the crow flies. Takes me about 45 minutes or so to drive to greenbank, i go to the dentist there (insert WV tooth jokes now fellas) because my insurance pays better "in state" because I actually work in WV. I live very close to Frost, so i can be in WV in like 5 minutes

If I walked out my front door, and crossed the mountain that I hunt and one smaller one I would be looking right at the big dish. So not very far as the crow flies. Takes me about 45 minutes or so to drive to greenbank, i go to the dentist there (You know how you can tell the toothbrush was invented in WVa?

Anywhere else it would be called the teethbrush) because my insurance pays better "in state" because I actually work in WV. I live very close to Frost, so i can be in WV in like 5 minutes

Joke inserted

I see now you are other side of ridge from MG

Last edited:

eye_zick

Lil-Rokslider
There's nothing you can do involving the sheriff or the BLM that will result in your desired outcome.

Complain about welfare ranchers to the system? Join the crowd. You'll find out these fake ranchers have learned they can basically get away with everything.

Dont take my word for it, read about it in the 2016 GAO study involving unauthorized grazing. Bottom line is local law enforcement with informally resolve it and nothing will change.