BLM to open 22 mil acres in Western states to solar

Old Dog

FNG
The solar farms would be only one aspect of the proposal. There will have to be substantial infrastructure built to get the power from the solar farm to the end user. Roads, power lines, substations, all crisscrossing this BLM land.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Harnessing incoming solar radiation is the long term solution for sustaining our species and advancing our technology….

However, solar panels and solar farms as we know them today are absolutely not the answer.

The solar farms would be only one aspect of the proposal. There will have to be substantial infrastructure built to get the power from the solar farm to the end user. Roads, power lines, substations, all crisscrossing this BLM land.
True but even those components are not that impactful (minus the visual appeal).

Animals do not care about power lines and roads expect possibly when being built. Substations are not even that large. The plant designers will need to figure out just how high to build the fencing on the substations; low enough to allow the peaceful protestors to have easy access but high enough to keep the wildlife out.

See it’s not that I disagree with the idea that blm shouldn’t have solar on it. This happening would certainly result in less room for recreation on public land. I sometimes I find it funny how people here get their panties in a bunch over certain things.

Yes see the wolf discussion. I had minimal context and understanding of the wide array of issues that people who didn’t like wolves saw as important so I posed the question. And I got great answers that changed my perspective. Is there a problem with that? Who cares if I don’t agree with most of the gents here. This is a forum to discuss hunting and hunting related topics. Not a “you have to be part of this echo chamber” forum.
This is why you are a troll, its not about recreation, its the fact that its the equvilant of slash and burn deforestation. They will bull doze and level it to a clean slate. Then drill holes every 10 ft and insert hot dip galvanized i beam. Solar field will be fenced, and mowed/herbicide to keep all grasses out or at low none fire risk level. No wildlife will exist or will be permitted. There will be no thermal cover. They disturb water run off patterns and wild life migration, not to mention loss of winter grazing.

Spin it all you want. There is thousands of acres of solar next to me and growing. I see it first hand.

You support solar you support deforestation

Last edited:
This is why you are a troll, its not about recreation, its the fact that its the equvilant of slash and burn deforestation. They will bull doze and level it to a clean slate. Then drill holes every 10 ft and insert hot dip galvanized i beam. Solar field will be fenced, and mowed/herbicide to keep all grasses out or at low none fire risk level. No wildlife will exist or will be permitted. There will be no thermal cover. They disturb water run off patterns and wild life migration, not to mention loss of winter grazing.

Spin it all you want. There is thousands of acres of solar next to me and growing. I see it first hand.

You support solar you support deforestation
Please explain why snake chaps are sometimes required PPE when out in the field at some of the solar power plants that I go to for work. Since you are the expert and have stated that "no wildlife will exist or will be permitted", why is it required PPE? I genuinely want to know so that I can bring it up the next time I am on site.

Gas, coal, oil, etc all have no impact on the locations where it occurs? No vegetation, animals, water flows/tables, are impacted? If you truly believe that, then I have some cheap ocean front properly in AZ for you.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Please explain why snake chaps are sometimes required PPE when out in the field at some of the solar power plants that I go to for work. Since you are the expert and have stated that "no wildlife will exist or will be permitted", why is it required PPE? I genuinely want to know so that I can bring it up the next time I am on site.

Gas, coal, oil, etc all have no impact on the locations where it occurs? No vegetation, animals, water flows/tables, are impacted? If you truly believe that, then I have some cheap ocean front properly in AZ for you.
Company liability period. Liability plans don't need to take in account the probability of an actual event happening only the legal impacts if one does.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Company liability period. Liability plans don't need to take in account the probability of an actual event happening only the legal impacts if one does.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Fair enough to a degree but there still are an assortment of animals, including rattlesnakes, on-site despite what CV professed and your "pure liability" stance.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Fair enough to a degree but there still are an assortment of animals, including rattlesnakes, on-site despite what CV professed and your "pure liability" stance.
Rattle snake habitat does not equate mule deer habitat or pronghorn habitat… seen some shake snakes that are living on basically a moonscape…

jmez

WKR
Dont believe anyone has said gas , coal and oil have no impact. Can these solar fields be placed elsewhere? Could rooftops and parking lots be used? Would there be less environmental impact using those sites?

Can gas coal and oil be mined in residential areas?

Feasibility of one vs the other. Money, always comes down to the money. "Green Companies" won't get a free ride if they have to pay rent for sites.

Where are the studies showing generation capacity in a concrete jungle vs an undisturbed natural environment? What are cost differentials of having infrastructure close or in place vs building it all over in the middle of nowhere?

See this has nothing to do with green. If it did those would be the first questions to be answered. No one is even asking them. They care about optics, political points and political paybacks.

Development of public land is development of public land.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

Lol. are you real? I have 20k acres leased around me and close to 8-10k in panels or in construction around me.

I watch them turn the panel vertical and mow it to carpet. I have watched them level an entire ranch, hills and all. I watch the water roll through since there is no more grass.

Cool a snake …. what a Joke.

The green mesquites are now gone in this photo, all panels for 4 plus miles and growing on just that side of the road. Has 8’ fence with barb at the top. Only unglutes, are the occasional sheep that got put in for grass control.

Private land do as you please…. but dont ruin public land!! Solar foot print is not even arguable

IMG_4208.jpeg

Last edited:
The only way for humans to decrease our carbon emission is to lower population. Humanoids have been contributing to global warming the first time they intentionally started a fire.

This whole public land giveaway disgusts me. All these solar companies are being subsidized by our tax dollars. 100% of the panels are from China.

If you have OnX or another land view app, look at the images.
33.69932, -115.22241
IMG_1360.jpeg

33.82097, -115.38947
IMG_1361.jpeg

33.69887, -114.76187
IMG_1362.jpeg