Smoked Pulled Bone-In Black Bear Shoulder

OP
SteveAndTheCrigBoys
Finally getting around to doing this. Seasoned last night so it's ready to go. Thinking about the following times:

Uncovered at 225 in the smoker for 5 hours
Wrapped at 275 for 2-3 hours until it hits 205* or so.

How do you feel it turned out over all? The shredded meat looks really good.

Anything you would do differently? Aside from using less pepper?

Most of my game meat on the smoker adventures end in some level of disappointment or it's a short smoke followed by a braise. I find that the lack of internal fat marbling often results in a very dry final product.

OP
SteveAndTheCrigBoys
How do you feel it turned out over all? The shredded meat looks really good.

Anything you would do differently? Aside from using less pepper?

Most of my game meat on the smoker adventures end in some level of disappointment or it's a short smoke followed by a braise. I find that the lack of internal fat marbling often results in a very dry final product.
I'm pretty impressed. It's not tough, dry or stringy at all. I imagine the bone-in aspect helped with moisture. I wouldn't try this same thing with a boneless cut.

I'd maybe brine or inject it just to experiment with stuff. Maybe use some rendered bear fat instead of butter in the wrap. And definitely add brown sugar to the wrap. Didn't have any so it was just butter.

Looks good. What kind of sauce did you add?

Look up Memphis Dust for a rub. It works really well on pork and bear.
Haven't added any sauce to it other than some Kinders Mild BBQ on a sandwich last night. Just kept all the juices from the wrap in the pan there.

Memphis Dust looks like a sugar-y rub, I can definitely see where that would work. I had some Meat Church Holy Cow on hand for this.