Smoked whitetail shanks... Good Lord, so good...

I used to not worry about the shanks outside of canning venison, but started smoking them and boy are they good. I'm using the easy smoker in a PitBoss. I gnaw on them like a caveman.

shanks.jpg

Lytro

WKR
Thanks for sharing. I'll have to give this a try!

I always season and sear the outsides of mine before putting them in a slow cooker overnight. By morning they're perfect and they make for fantastic shredded meat in tacos or anything similar. I always hate to hear hunters say they leave them in the field, especially on elk.

Marshfly

WKR
I did this yesterday. Make note that it took way longer than I expected for two front shanks. Mine did not get quite done when we needed to eat so I chopped them up and made tacos. Still a good bit left so it'll go into a braise for leftovers.

Way better than tossing them in the grind pile.

woods89

WKR
The best chili of my life comes from smoking shanks for 3-4 hours, braising overnight, pulling the meat, and then making chili with it. We also like osso bucco, as well as just braising them and then browning the meat for tacos.

Marshfly

WKR
Ok follow up. Took the rest of the meat from our smoked shanks and put them in with some caramelized onions and a can of beer to braise for a couple of hours. Fishing with a little sear like carnitas. Ho Lee crap. Fricking amazing on tortillas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kodiak06

FNG
It's not near the best piece IMO but I've cooked it a few times over the years. Youtube has plenty of videos on it...

I've smoked them followed up by the pressure cooker to make them fall of the bone for a venison ramen recipe that is amazing.
Second that, and will do them in either the pressure cooker, the crockpot, or cast-iron, depending on my time.

The smoke put some really nice flavor, and then that low, slow, and moist cooking makes them super tender.

Almost makes me want to throw rocks at back straps…

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
Front shoulder, rear shanks, rumps, and calf roasts took a good long smoke today.

Slice, salt, pepper, and enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_5507.jpeg
    IMG_5507.jpeg
    310 KB · Views: 23
OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
I love them in a crock pot. Going to have to try smoking them now!
I took the smoked shanks, which are fine all by themselves, and threw them in a crock pot with an au jus mix for 8 hours on low. This may be my favorite prep so far. At the end of the 8 hours, they're falling off the bone and all the smoke, meat, marrow flavors meld into the au jus creating an incredible broth. I took them out, pulled off the bone, chopped roughly and threw the meat back in to say warm. Goodness gracious was that good.

Spike elk

WKR
I took the smoked shanks, which are fine all by themselves, and threw them in a crock pot with an au jus mix for 8 hours on low. This may be my favorite prep so far. At the end of the 8 hours, they're falling off the bone and all the smoke, meat, marrow flavors meld into the au jus creating an incredible broth. I took them out, pulled off the bone, chopped roughly and threw the meat back in to say warm. Goodness gracious was that good.
I am going to have to give that a try. Sounds bueno!