Books

For the upland bird hunters: Grouse Feathers (Burton Spiller), a Grouse Hunter's Almanac (Mark Parman)

My kids have enjoyed Bear Attacks of the Century (Mueller & Reiss). It's a collection of short, non-fiction accounts of... well, you can guess. I read them to my kids as bedtime stories, and I probably shouldn't.

DBird

FNG
Another vote for "The River of Doubt" by Candice Millard about Theodore Roosevelt nearly dying in the South American jungle. That man was tough.

I'm about halfway through Death in the Long Grass and I'm hooked. It's a great read. I've never had any desire to hunt lions or elephants, but it definitely intrigues me now. I still doubt I would actually ever shoot an elephant, though.

If you ever get charged by one you will change your mind in the blink of an eye, or likely die.
Trust me on this. It’s an experience you will remember for the rest of your life.

SFH

Another great book by a tough SOB...

Arctic Adventure: My Life in the Frozen North - Book by Peter Freuchen
https://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Adventure-Life-Frozen-North/dp/1626549990

294256.jpg

I just finished this one.
The dude in the pic is way tougher than the image can relate. Notice that you can’t see his left foot?
He doesn’t have one. Froze and had to cut it off.
One tough Dane. Still shaking my head that he lived to write his book.

SFH

1000yrds

FNG
There are plenty of other good choices, Richard Graves' "The 10 Bushcraft Books" for example, but there are also lots of rather superficial works cashing in on the recent blossoming of interest in this area. Many of them, as was the case with numerous older books, have a habit of repeating information from previous books without really testing it and giving undue weight to somewhat marginal techniques. You can see this clearly with the classic illustrations of building a campfire: the old cone "teepee" of twigs is actually a surprisingly poor and unstable way of making a fire, but it looks lovely and neat on the page. Plenty of books show those same old illustrations, though; and the same is true for other information.

ODB

WKR
If you ever get charged by one you will change your mind in the blink of an eye, or likely die.
Trust me on this. It’s an experience you will remember for the rest of your life.

SFH

Indeed. You start to feel very small when you are on the ground with elephant or buffalo or lion. When they turn your way and take a few quick steps toward you and you have no idea if or when they will stop, well, that’s something rather indescribable.

Indeed. You start to feel very small when you are on the ground with elephant or buffalo or lion. When they turn your way and take a few quick steps toward you and you have no idea if or when they will stop, well, that’s something rather indescribable.

Yessir! And rhino are so unpredictable they are spooky.

They all “quicken the pulse” rather easily.

Good Times,

SFH

Reactions: ODB

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
OP
E
Given the current situation around the country....I thought we should pick this thread back up. You guys got any new favorites?

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
Couple on my shelf I haven’t seen mentioned yet...

Meditations On Hunting by Ortega Y Gassett

To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth by Jeff Cooper.

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
Fatal Passage by Ken McGoogan, a book about arctic badass John Rae. He was the man who discovered the fate of the Franklin Expedition and discovered the Northwest Passage.

A good one that isn't all that well known is the Wind and The Caribou by Erik Munsterhjelm if you can find it.

Also a big fan of Lands Forlorn by George Douglas about his expedition to the Coppermine River. I used to guide up in that area and have been to what's left of his cabin.