Boot durability

gobears870

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the market for a solid pair of rifle season boots. I'll be hunting in a pretty rugged area, 9000+ elevation, with good chances of snow. My lighter backpacking/early season boots probably won't cut it. One thing I keep seeing in some negative reviews of some boots are complaints on durability. But for my purposes, I'm probably only wearing these boots for a 7-day hunt out west and a few days whitetail hunting each year. I'm wondering if I could get by with a boot that might be "less durable" but fits and supports better and might be less expensive. Thoughts?

I have a couple pair of 10 year old Keen insulated boots that have held up well over the years, they work well in the cold and snow but don't get worn a whole lot. I see no need to spend $1000 on boots that will see limited use, save that money for a good pair of hard used hikers.

I'm always wary of other people's opinions regarding footwear. Meaning I don't always believe someone's word when they speak about durability and fit. Some people don't take care of their gear and it doesn't last as long. If you clean and wax a cheap pair of boots, then they'll last longer. Also, I've noticed the way people plant their foot affects the wear of the boot. People who walk on the ball of their foot usually scuff the toes of their boots to the point where the rand separates from the body of the boot. Whereas people would step heel to toe don't wear out the Rand as quickly.

Hope this makes sense. I rambled a bit.

Back