Boot Review: Crispi vs Kenetrek vs Schnee vs Lowa vs Meindl vs Hoffman

chilly460

FNG
I just registered but have been around this site for awhile. I just put together a review of a fair bit of mountain hunting boots and figured it would help out a lot of guys here as it covers many of the boots I see covered in this forum. Hope it can help answer questions for guys.

Boots reviewed are:
Crispi Guide
Kenetrek Mountain Guide
Hoffman Explorer
Lowa Tibet
Meindl Perfekt Hunter
Schnee Beartooth

I just registered but have been around this site for awhile. I just put together a review of a fair bit of mountain hunting boots and figured it would help out a lot of guys here as it covers many of the boots I see covered in this forum. Hope it can help answer questions for guys.

Boots reviewed are:
Crispi Guide
Kenetrek Mountain Guide
Hoffman Explorer
Lowa Tibet
Meindl Perfekt Hunter
Schnee Beartooth

Great review! I've been a Lowa guy for a long time but definitely want to try out some Hoffmans.

OP
C

chilly460

FNG
Thanks. I like my Lowa’s for sure, but like the Hoffman as well. I feel like they’re not as well known but they’re every bit as good as the other brands

Question for you OP. How are the Hoffman’s toe box for width compared to the schnees and crispi guide? I am looking to try a pair of Hoffman’s. Schnee's are too narrow and crispi are too wide. I get heel lift in the crispi as well. Thanks

Been watching your video a couple times over the last week: great review. Hope Youtube's been getting you some of their advertising $$$!

How is the heel width between the Kenetrek's and Hoffman? I tried on the Kenetrek Mtn Xtreme NI and loved the toe box and rigidity but felt like my heel could move sideways (though not up and down).

Last edited:
OP
C

chilly460

FNG
Still waiting on that YouTube money 😬

I get a bit of heel slip, especially the left, with my Kenetrek Mountain Extremes that I do not get with the Hoffmans.

Hoffman Boots

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Still waiting on that YouTube money 😬

I get a bit of heel slip, especially the left, with my Kenetrek Mountain Extremes that I do not get with the Hoffmans.
A lot of the heel slip comes from the stiffness of the boot and also the volume of the heel. Hoffman's uses a tapered nylon mid-sole that keeps the stiffness of the platform in most of the foot area but does have some flex in the front portion / ball of the foot area. This light flex allows the heel to stay seated better as the foot tries to flex. If to stiff, when the boot flexes, if the boot does not bend, the heel will pull up a bit. Our heal volume, not to be biased, is great also. Seams to fit most heels of individuals very well. A lot of good choices out there guys, we hope to earn your trust and try a pair of our Hoffman boots.
Jim Hoffman

OP
C

chilly460

FNG
Timely discussion. I just wore my Crispi Guides and Hoffman Explorers back to back this weekend, chukar hunting. I basically always get heel slip, something I'm resigned to, I use leukotape and manage best I can. As in my review, I don't try to give recommendations on boots as we're all different but will give my observations.

First day by my standards went well with the Crispis, left heel started to blister even with the tape, but it wasn't terrible. Second day, a longer hunt but same basic terrain, I wore the Hoffmans. No heel slip at all, and didn't really notice the sore left heel.

I have no affiliation with Hoffman but glad to see Jim participating, very happy with your boots.

OP
C

chilly460

FNG
Did you watch the review, or just wanted to get a quip in? I specifically addressed this in the video. If you have 100mi on 6 different pairs of boots, feel free to do your own review.

No I started to watch and thought hmm, no way you know these boots very well, they arent worn enough

OP
C

chilly460

FNG
Well, feel free to get out from behind the keyboard, round up 6 pairs of boots and put in 100s of miles on each pair then report in.

I addressed mileage in the video and conceded I couldn't speak to long term reliability until I had several seasons on them.

I really REALLY wanted to give Hoffmans and Crispi's a try before I made a decision but I discovered I could buy Kenetreks with credit card points and only the Kene's (and that's probably the only way I would be able to afford a pair of good trekking boots before the hunting seasons end). So I bit the bullet and they arrived with Kene's alaskan socks yesterday. Wearing with a silk liner, no k-tape (it's on the way just not here yet). Some heel movement even with ankle-locked lacing (e.g.
) which honestly might be the liner slipping on the sock. Otherwise I do enjoy the kind of ski-boot-esque rocking walk these give. Gunna keep wearing around the house a few more weeks before trying a hike of any sort.

manitou1

WKR
I have several brands, including Meindl and Lowa Tibets.
I decided to try the Hoffman Explorers this season and they are all I have been wearing this season. After about ten miles, they settled in really nicely and are comfy. No slippage at all. Definitely a good boot.
My only complaint... and it drives me crazy, is the "corner" lace eyelet that goes each side of where the foot/shaft meet. Dunno how to better explain which eyelet... but when lacing these boots, the laces slip out of that eyelet sometimes 3-4 times. It is a pain to get them laced. The eyelet "leans inward" toward the tongue once broke in. Many times, the laces will pop out of this eyelet while hunting. I have put over 100 miles on these boots this season elk, mule deer and antelope hunting and would call them about perfect if not for that particular eyelet. Called a local boot repair place to see if they could put a more substantial eyelet there, but he talked me out of it for fear of damaging the water proof properties.
I have also tried smaller diameter laces and bending the eyelets. Still a problem.
I would like to see a "corner" eyelet similar to the Tibets, as those have nailed it in the hardware dept.
Good review. Thanks for the time you put i to it.
I hope you read this Jim! It would make a really good boot great!

kpk

WKR
Funny - I was watching this video last night and then come across this post this morning. Do you know if any of these fit similar to the Salomon Quest 4D II??? The Salomons are perfect for me but durability is an issue and I'm in need of a new pair.

I thought the Hoffman Explorer boots looked very interesting when I was shopping this summer but couldn't find info on what they weighed. Have a pair of their pac boots that I enjoy very much.

I've got around over 1k miles on my 3 pairs of Hoffmans, great damn boot, runner up and feeling nearly identical are the kenetrek, cant speak much for the others. If you dry regularly, condition when needed, they will remain water proof and hold up extremely well. Gotta be pushing over 500 miles on just one pair of 8in explorers (had to replace laces, and about to again). Although they could probably use new soles soon, the boot itself is in respectable shape. Only downside is that Hoffman is becoming so popular-getting a pair is becoming harder and harder. That being said maybe I shouldn't be telling you guys how good they really are!