Boot Review: Crispi vs Kenetrek vs Schnee vs Lowa vs Meindl vs Hoffman

I was hoping to find a local store in the PNW that carried a variety of boots and ended up at Sportsmans Warehouse. They had the Crispi's and the Kenetrek. I wore one of each and they let me walk around the store for about a half hour. For some reason the Crispi made my foot go numb and had extra pressure on my toes so I walked out with the Kenetrek. I will say the Crispi's felt broke in from the moment I put them on and the Kenetrek were stiff and still are after two hunting trips. I need to start wearing them around just to break them in more.

I have several brands, including Meindl and Lowa Tibets.
I decided to try the Hoffman Explorers this season and they are all I have been wearing this season. After about ten miles, they settled in really nicely and are comfy. No slippage at all. Definitely a good boot.
My only complaint... and it drives me crazy, is the "corner" lace eyelet that goes each side of where the foot/shaft meet. Dunno how to better explain which eyelet... but when lacing these boots, the laces slip out of that eyelet sometimes 3-4 times. It is a pain to get them laced. The eyelet "leans inward" toward the tongue once broke in. Many times, the laces will pop out of this eyelet while hunting. I have put over 100 miles on these boots this season elk, mule deer and antelope hunting and would call them about perfect if not for that particular eyelet. Called a local boot repair place to see if they could put a more substantial eyelet there, but he talked me out of it for fear of damaging the water proof properties.
I have also tried smaller diameter laces and bending the eyelets. Still a problem.
I would like to see a "corner" eyelet similar to the Tibets, as those have nailed it in the hardware dept.
Good review. Thanks for the time you put i to it.
I hope you read this Jim! It would make a really good boot great!
I had a pair of crispi Thor’s and that lacing system made me crazy and I sold them. For me this laces are a no go for me. I don’t have the patience ha

landrun

FNG
From all this feedback, it looks like Hoffmans moved up on my list for my next hunting boot...my Lowa's are ready to be replaced.

Durran87

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought a pair of Schnee's Beartooth when they went on sale last month. These are my first high end pair of boots, and I must say that they're incredible. They fit perfectly, and on my first hike (5 miles) they already feel like they are broken in and ready for a hunting trip.

jooleyen

Lil-Rokslider
How is the Hoffman Explorer in E (wide) compared to the Schnees beartooth in E (wide) or Crispi Nevada/Guide in standard? I have the Schnees Beartooth in Wide and they're just a tad too narrow. The Crispi Nevada feels quite good widthwise (could probably go ever so slightly narrower and be happy.

I want to try the Hoffman Explorer, just not sure if I'd need standard or wide.

steve-0h

FNG
Great review, definitely helpful. Watched with a couple sizes of Schnee’s beartooth on my feet trying to decide which size is right!
Got a feeling I just heard you and your bud on exo podcast. Good luck on your hunt. Maybe we’ll run into each other.

Great video thanks for putting this together. I have used a handful of boots on this list and always come back to kenetreks.

Kenetreks have been great but I only get a season out of them.

I was wondering how the Hoffmans and the kenetreks stack up to one another as I just ordered a set of hoffmans bc I cant justify the price of the kenetreks any more.

I emailed Jim with Hoffman Boots and he was awesome! Got back to me super fast and I was able to place an order quickly!

Looking forward to giving the Hoffman explorer 8s a try

Last edited:

Hoffman Boots

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks. I like my Lowa’s for sure, but like the Hoffman as well. I feel like they’re not as well known but they’re every bit as good as the other brands
Thank you. We build our boots without cutting any corners. The best leathers, waterproof booties and outsoles. The best part is the fit of the Explorer is awesome and the company we partner with has been making hunting boots for over 50 years. A lot of experience and expertise goes into our boots.

Hoffman Boots

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I thought the Hoffman Explorer boots looked very interesting when I was shopping this summer but couldn't find info on what they weighed. Have a pair of their pac boots that I enjoy very much.
The weight of the 8" Explorer is approx. 4.5 lbs.

Hoffman Boots

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I have several brands, including Meindl and Lowa Tibets.
I decided to try the Hoffman Explorers this season and they are all I have been wearing this season. After about ten miles, they settled in really nicely and are comfy. No slippage at all. Definitely a good boot.
My only complaint... and it drives me crazy, is the "corner" lace eyelet that goes each side of where the foot/shaft meet. Dunno how to better explain which eyelet... but when lacing these boots, the laces slip out of that eyelet sometimes 3-4 times. It is a pain to get them laced. The eyelet "leans inward" toward the tongue once broke in. Many times, the laces will pop out of this eyelet while hunting. I have put over 100 miles on these boots this season elk, mule deer and antelope hunting and would call them about perfect if not for that particular eyelet. Called a local boot repair place to see if they could put a more substantial eyelet there, but he talked me out of it for fear of damaging the water proof properties.
I have also tried smaller diameter laces and bending the eyelets. Still a problem.
I would like to see a "corner" eyelet similar to the Tibets, as those have nailed it in the hardware dept.
Good review. Thanks for the time you put i to it.
I hope you read this Jim! It would make a really good boot great!
I will do some checking - what model of Lowa do you like the hardware on? My number is 208-786-4851 if you want to discuss.

Hoffman Boots

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Timely discussion. I just wore my Crispi Guides and Hoffman Explorers back to back this weekend, chukar hunting. I basically always get heel slip, something I'm resigned to, I use leukotape and manage best I can. As in my review, I don't try to give recommendations on boots as we're all different but will give my observations.

First day by my standards went well with the Crispis, left heel started to blister even with the tape, but it wasn't terrible. Second day, a longer hunt but same basic terrain, I wore the Hoffmans. No heel slip at all, and didn't really notice the sore left heel.

I have no affiliation with Hoffman but glad to see Jim participating, very happy with your boots.
Thank you much

AT79

FNG
Huge fan of Meindl. I’ve owned many pairs over the years for use in wildland firefighting. Put the miles on them and they hold up great! Comfort right out of the box and are great quality. Back in the day cabelas sold them, but you can get them directly from Meindlusa. Run true to size.

Hoffman Boots

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Question for you OP. How are the Hoffman’s toe box for width compared to the schnees and crispi guide? I am looking to try a pair of Hoffman’s. Schnee's are too narrow and crispi are too wide. I get heel lift in the crispi as well. Thanks
I think you would like the toe box, it is one of the things we focused on when developing.