Boots for Dogs in Sand Burr Country?

rbljack

WKR
So this will be my first year out with our Lab "Gunner". He went thru training over the winter and we have been working on him over the summer. Very excited to get out for the Dove opener, and then do some quail hunting with him this year, followed by Ducks and possibly Sand Hills in the late season.

My big question is this: For yall that run dogs in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, etc that have cactus, Sand Burs, Yucca's and Mesquite....do yall put boots on the dogs? I know we will be encountering all four of those where we hunt. Ive been using the "Mushers Secret " Cream on his pads for the last month in prep for hunting season. I also put together a first aid kit and will be packing a pair of cable cutters (Lots of people set traps for coyotes out in this area, so I want to be prepared if he got hung up in one.

Will the dog loose drive if he gets into the sand bur fields and get discouraged? A little concerned about that. Look forward to hearing yalls thoughts on this....thanks!

“Better to have them and not need them versus need them and not have them.”

Lewis boots have a good reputation and gundogsupply.com has a good video on how to securely keep them on your dog’s feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zeke6951

Lil-Rokslider
There is a YouTube out there somewhere that shows how to make dog boots out of motor cycle tubes. That is what I use. No big loss if the dog looses one. Easy to make and easy to put on.

I think you do what you can to toughen to dog's feet before the season starts. Some people kennel on concrete with a rough surface for this purpose. I used to use Tuff Foot, and while it did make their pads harder, they seemed more prone to cracking. I came to believe summer training and hunting prairie chickens early paid off later when we went to Montana (which can also have lots of rough country, rocky, with prickly pear).

We did use Lewis boots once a dog became footsore, and they work well. Buy 2 pairs for 1 dog, and probably 3 pairs for 2 dogs, because you will lose one from time to time.

I've also come to believe that some dogs just have better feet. In a string of a dozen Texas guide dogs a handful might need boots here and there, a handful have really durable feet, and a handful are so damn hardheaded they'd run until their pads came off.

OP
R

rbljack

WKR
Thanks for the info so far yall. Much appreciated. We got overcast conditions on Sunday and slightly lower temps, so I took him out for a run/hike scouting a new area. He managed to find and flush one covey of Scaled quail, and we spent about 3 hours in the evening scouting for dove and quail. He did pretty good except one area that was loaded with sand burrs. The lewis boots are being recommended a lot on the interent, but the y look like a pain to put on and take off every time with tape. Especially if your going to multiple spots in a day. IM guessing he will chew the boots/tape off each time we load up and travel from one place to another.

I was looking at another brand called the Grip Trex boot from ruffwear. They have a velcro attachment and go on/off pretty easy. Not cheap though/ set of four is around 90 bucks. And hoping easy on/easy off doesnt translate to lost boots every trip.

Pwrhd

FNG
In my experience they will come to like the Lewis boots. They aren't difficult to put on with a cooperative dog. Maybe five minutes. Precut tape and get with it. Have your phone ready to film first time they use them, pretty comical. Sounds like a horse galloping.

The Lewis boots seem like a PITA but hey at least you're hunting and your dog is somewhere near peak efficiency. It's a time cost worth paying.

WCB

WKR
My dad used to have Lewis or at least that type of boot on our dogs 25+ years ago. We (my wife and I) currently have so similar to the Grip Trexs (maybe they are)...IMO you still need to tape them to keep them on or from certain dogs puling on the velcro strap to get them off.

However, I don't think we have but them on our dogs in 5 or 6 years. Hunting S.D. and Western N.D. along with Nebraska sandhill areas with sandburs and cactus our dogs have basically just learned to pull them out themselves or we walk over and pluck them out. Get your dog out and get their feet broke in. No difference in kids running around bare foot over rocks and being un phased then someone that never takes their shoes off trying to do the same thing.

TSAMP

WKR
I'll echo some of the above. Each dog is different. Each has its own tolerance for burs and cactus. I brought Lewis boots on my sandhills hunt but have never used them. Unvented boots are what you need, and sand can still get in those if not taped properly. Even still a dogs foot sweating and the constant rub of the boot on a tender foot has always convinced me and kept the boots off my dog. A half days rest will do wonders, as well as you keeping an eye out for these vegetation areas and steering dogs clear.

I find the boots more useful for ice/snow late season rabbit hunting.

Reactions: WCB