Squirrel Dogs

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
Going to get me and my son a pup this spring and not sure what breed to go with. I prefer the currs but would rather have a closer hunting dog so a feist may be a better fit. I live in pretty hilly terrain in Southeast Ky I would want something to hunt inside of 300yds. What line of dogs do people go for now days? Who and where would be a good place to start?

TSAMP

WKR
Not much of a podcast guy but recall a few good ones dedicated to squrriel dogs. I found them when training my PP and was getting started on them.

The hunting dog public was the one that sticks out from memory.

Curhunter

FNG
After running coonhounds for a long time I got into the curs. Based on what I saw I wouldn't recommend a pup. With curs I saw too many well bred pups that just didn't turn out.
My recommendation is spend a little more and get a young started dog that you can hunt with first. In the long run it will save time and money.
Curs I hunted with tended to be more scent dependent and feists would use their eyes and ears more with a little less ability to work older scent.

OP
D.Rose

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
Only reason I'd prefer a pup is raising it around my little boy. The feists and curs I had growing up weren't the most child friendly animal. They tended to be a bit ornery. I've started several coonhounds and enjoy that part quite a bit. I want a very gamey dog. I think as much as I'm in the woods I can get one going if it has it in them.

rcb2000

WKR
Check out Squirreldogdynasty.com
I talked to him a few years back, very good guy with good dogs.

Curhunter

FNG
One thing I noticed with the curs I had was that they started a lot slower than a hound. They required more patience didn't handle discipline like a hound. The plus side is a good cur continues to learn even as they get older.
If you find one that matches well with you they're very rewarding to hunt with.
Wish I could recommend one to you but I've been out of them for a while.

Pdzoller

WKR
IMG_1590.jpegBest tree rat dog I’ve seen. Pit/Boxer mix. Taught himself and was something else. Pretty much good at anything he put his mind to. Probably never going to get lucky enough to get another dog like him.

I’m in a similar boat to you, planning to get a mountain curr simply because a family member is about to have a litter this year. Hunted his dogs this week after being out of the squirrel game for a while. Had a blast, dogs never hunted further than 250 yards or so from us. Very friendly dogs but very gamey and high drive at the same time. If not for my family having a litter come up soon I would probably choose a fiest due to having kids and wanting a dog that hunted pretty close.IMG_5386.jpeg

If you want to be a little different I can’t recommend West Siberian Laikas enough. Predominantly used as a squirrel dog here in the US but they tree a lot of coons too and mine personally would bay up a hog like nobody’s business. She was also a fantastic family dog. I’ve seen a few people put them on upland as well but results might vary there. If you’re interested I’d recommend researching the breed some and then looking into the UKC Laikas Facebook group.

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
I always liked hunting over a cur, but have a few buddies that have gotten into Treeing Feists. It's just a long legged Fiest, but papers have them listed as "Treeing". Great little dogs.

My mountain never goes more than 250. Generally he's sub 150 though .Just depends on how little or how much the squirrels are running around. He's about 8 and I'm looking to breed him. I can send lineage over to anyone who's looking for a good sire

Had a Mtn. Cur that was scary smart.
Its the breed

My dog is too dang smart.. He literally doesn't need me to survive. He hangs out because he knows there is a guarantee of food. He occasionally takes himself down to the river to swim for 40 minutes and then comes home.. All on his own. My yard is fully fenced