Boots. Old school. Leather. Sno-Seal.

Child of the 70’s and 80’s here. When I started backpacking a lot in the mid 80’s as a teen, old school leather was all there was. I was taught that before wearing them and getting them dirty, you pulled off the laces and worked sno-seal into them, often with the help of a hair dryer. Boots were an investment, in money, effort, time, and pain. But they were tough, and they lasted.

I’ve been wearing steel toed redwings for 10 years straight. They aren’t really for hiking, but they are comfortable and last, and most importantly, they come in wide sizes. My feet are shaped like squares – 10.5 EE.

I’m now starting to again contemplate some boots actually made for the mountains vs a shopfloor or jobsite, but frankly, I’m unimpressed with what I see. It doesn’t excite me to face paying near $500 for some cloth boot that I’ll probably blow the sides out of within a year.

I constantly read about people on this forum with an expensive boot and wet feet. I can tell you one thing for sure. When I sno-sealed a pair of leather boots, water was not coming in unless it was over the tops. And with a good pair of gaiters and moving fast, I could make it through small streams without water getting in.

Does anyone else on here miss old, heavy, uninsulated, non-goretex, leather hiking boots of old with a stitched on Vibram sole and a tacky coating of beeswax impregnating the leather?

When my current pair of kenetreks wears out, I will be going back to an all leather-non goretex boot. I swear my feet are wetter with waterproof boots. Maybe sooner, since I sent my kenetreks in to be checked out for leaks, they found no leaks but wanted to reshape the toe (for free..years warranty). Well, now the right one doesn't fit right anymore since the toe box is all distorted and actually smaller on the one side.

What is out there that fits your description?

wyodan

WKR
I miss them. They might’ve been heavy, but my old Fabiano boots were indestructible. I tried some Zamberlan welted boots, but the fit wasn’t as good nor were they as well built.

OP
A
I swear my feet are wetter with waterproof boots.

^^^^^^ This!

What is out there that fits your description?

That's the problem - Not much! No-one seems to really want that business anymore. Probably because stitching heavy leather is a lot less cost effective than sewing cordura in china!

There does seem to be two offerings out there that are throwbacks to the old days: Danner Mountain light and Merrell Wilderness. Both though are more akin to lighter weight hiking boots vs the heavier 'mountaineering' grade boots you could get in the 90's. I've always liked the heavy Merrell leather boots of the past, but they always run narrow, and as in the past, the Merrell Wilderness is not offered in anything other than a medium width (which is probably a medium on a european last, so quite narrow).

In the past, I know I've own Dexters, Lowas, Merrells, and others, but I've forgotten. Boots seemed to change when Asolo came on the scene.

OP
A
I miss them. They might’ve been heavy, but my old Fabiano boots were indestructible. I tried some Zamberlan welted boots, but the fit wasn’t as good nor were they as well built.

I knew I wasn't alone!

I found a vintage ad online for old Merell guides from the 90's. Those were the bomb. Always wanted a pair, but could never justify them because the fit was never right.

A costly, but cost effective answer is to have a custom pair of WESCO boots made that fit you!! They will last for many years, and will fit
correctly!!

I need a 12 EEEE, try to find that in a boot!!!

Bob

Wrongside

WKR
I far prefer leather-lined, all leather boots. While my current favs aren't Norwegian welt, they are very solid boots.

I use Hanwag Yukons for most trips. A solid, comfortable backpacking boot. For trips with more mountainous terrain, a pair of LL Hanwag Omegas. Bomber boots in the steep rocks.

Been fighting the urge to try a pair of the Alico New Guide Mountaineering boots, (old-school Norwegian welt art!) but haven't made the jump yet.

OP
A
Some interesting options there Wrongside - thanks! I'd jump on the Alico's if they were in stock at STP. At under $200, they're worth the gamble. Maybe they'll come back in...

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've had a lot of boots for hunting over the years including the heavy all leather boots, but my favorites by far have been the 7" Zamberlan Dakota's that they discontinued a few years ago. They do have leather/cordura uppers, but I prefer those lighter weight boots for archery season. I do use Sno-seal on the leather all around except the uppers. The uppers are covered anyway with gaiters. But I've used these boots now for the past six years of archery hunting, covering over 200 miles each of most of those seasons. I will be sad when these either fall apart or the soles are rendered worthless. I have their 10" Dakota's but those are taller, heavier, and stiffer and less desirable for the maneuverability I want and expect for archery season.

I haven't had wet feet during archery season since I tried regular hiking boots in 2010 one day. Won't ever do that again.

Jmac603

Lil-Rokslider
Scarpa Kinesis Pro GTX un-insulated over here. A nice healthy coating of Obenauf's LP and I hunt in them early through late season here in NH.

Jason

I run Lowa Tibet leather lined and had them off to be resolved this year. I ran Alico Summit Italian boots imported by Sierra trading post this year- an old school leather lined boot to be sure. They were great. Heavier than the lowa but very stiff and solid. Note the thick wax layer. Only place water ever got in was over the top. Even with the leather starting to soak a little where it flies there on stream crossings.
de4d871fb127305b061ab273dba9b0d6.jpg

419ddada52e332a5e1b31ce86ace87c9.jpg

Bbell12

WKR
Russell Moccasin makes a pair of boots that fit the description you’re looking for; just read what Wyman Meinzer had to say about them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slick

WKR
I’ve been running Lowa Trekkers the last 3 years. Can find them in their backpacking line. Have worked great, except the soft leather lining on the inside has ripped and tore while being wet from sweat on long days, and then not drying completely before heavy use again. Subscribed on this one.

I far prefer leather-lined, all leather boots. While my current favs aren't Norwegian welt, they are very solid boots.

I use Hanwag Yukons for most trips. A solid, comfortable backpacking boot. For trips with more mountainous terrain, a pair of LL Hanwag Omegas. Bomber boots in the steep rocks.

Been fighting the urge to try a pair of the Alico New Guide Mountaineering boots, (old-school Norwegian welt art!) but haven't made the jump yet.

Hard to beat the Yukon’s

wildcat33

WKR
Schnees makes all leather lined boot that has my attention. Also la Sportiva made a pair but they may not be sold anymore. I haven’t worn either of these but I do agree with the notion that for most conditions it’s nice to have a non goretex boot.

FLAK

WKR
Anybody remember Herman Survivors?
My son is using an old pair of Cabelas Hikers that cant be worn out.
I still have, in good shape a pair of Cabelas Mtn. Hunters that have been
to NM, ID, AK and TX.

Dobermann

WKR
Does anyone else on here miss old, heavy, uninsulated, non-goretex, leather hiking boots of old with a stitched on Vibram sole and a tacky coating of beeswax impregnating the leather?

No ... because I had a pair of all-leather Scarpas in the mid-90s that were so good, I bought a second pair on sale for when the first finally wore out, and those are still going strong.

Have you checked out the Scarpa SL Active?: SCARPA | SL ACTIV - Hiking

These are on the Scarpa BX last, not quite as wide as their awesome BXX last, but there are still some of the discontinued 'SL Wides' around on that last ... and they're cheap if you can find them!

Wrench

WKR
I have those asymmetrical mountain hunters.....still the best.

I currently have :

Ll Ben kangaroos, perfekts, cripi guides, alaskan meindl, Hoffman pacs, whites pacs, garmont hikers and the asymmetrical mountain hunter.

I think the asymmetrical is the best for me. The perfekt is a good blend, the kangaroos are STELTH and the crispi/Alaska are tough to be quiet in....but everything proof.