Boots. Old school. Leather. Sno-Seal.

valtteri

FNG
Here in Scandinavia there's the Swedish Lundhags who still make old-school type hunting and hiking boots: Shell Boots | Lundhags Skomakarna AB

They essentially have an all-rubber bottom and a leather shaft. I've had the Professional High (older version of this: Professional II High Regular | Lundhags Skomakarna AB) for a couple of years and they are just great. I treat the leather shafts with liberal amounts of Obenaufs LP and have not had a single leak. Over here we have a lot of wet weather and marshes/swamps and they keep my feet totally dry. Here's a Finnish guy who puts them in water for five minutes to see if they leak: YouTube

They also seem bomb proof. Lundhags has been making this type of shoe for 80+ years.

They are designed to be worn with a liner and a hiking sock (double socks) and that eliminates blisters as well as provides warmth. I wear these all-year round. Maybe a bit on the warm side during hot summer, but I also wear these in the winter. I don't know why, but my feet won't get cold even at 0-10F. Maybe it's simply the combination of thick leather and double socks.

They are also light, one boot in size 12 (10" shaft) weighs less than 2 lbs.

All in all, a great old-school style rubber/leather boot!

OP
A
Lots of good info here - many thanks for all the responses.

I'm really interested in the Alico Summit, but haven't pulled the trigger because STP doesn't have them in wide. They seem like the right mix of weight/support for what I'm looking for. The guides are nice, but the might be overkill, and they are also out of stick at STP. The more I look, the more I want an old school sewn welt. I'll keep watching STP for a while to see if their inventory changes on either...

OP
A
Followup: After 18 months of spotty watching to see if Sierra Trading Post got them in wides, they were finally in stock.

I picked up two pairs because they've been so hard to come by:

1) Alico New Guide Moutnaineering Boots in 10.5 W

and

2) Alico Summit Heavy in 10.5 W

I got both and immediately returned both in exchange for 11 W's. Both seemed to run short in length and the Guides were extremely tight in width. Each uses a different Vibram sole type and when held sole to sole, the Guide ran about 3/16's shorter than the Summit. I could have probably stuck with 10.5 on the Summit but the Guide was a definite no go. I'm glad I changed them both out for 11 W's.

The guides are definitely going to take some time. They are extremely stiff - almost plastic mountaineering boot stiff.

The Summits are much more forgiving.

Bottom line as a starting point, I would order a half size large on these.

We'll see. I 'got what I wanted". Maybe in time I'll regret it. Been wearing them around the house today, but am pleased enough with the fit that I will take them on a walk tomorrow...