Bowhunter with a hard question for you long range hunter...

Hopefully that got your attention...

I have a ballistic calculation question. Really a rangefinder EHR question. I have used a pair of Leica Geovid HD-B 3000 8x42 for many years. I recently wanted a pair of 10s and picked up some Geovid R 10x42 because I don't need all the fancier ballistics of the HDs or Pros. I have both set for EHR readings, but they are reading different ranges. Which one is correct?

I'm ranging a large object at 550 yards straight line. It is as close to zero degrees as I can get it, verified by both binos built in inclonometrr. Here are the readouts I get.

HD-B read 550yards straight line and 527 EHR

The Rs read 549 straight line and 548 EHR.

In my mind the Rs are correct. But wanted to get the experts opinions. I always thought it was strange that the HD-B would have a different EHR at zero degrees, but I'm a bowhunter and under 50 yards the difference is so small I never worried about it. But now I'm thinking it's way off.

Help please.

And because we all like gear here's a photos.
20240301_131007.jpg

blkqi

WKR
My guess is that one is configured to adjust for station pressure and temperature and the other is not. Both are "right" or not depending on what you do with the value. Personally, I would just want the cosine distance.

OP
nevadabugle
My guess is that one is configured to adjust for station pressure and temperature and the other is not. Both are "right" or not depending on what you do with the value. Personally, I would just want the cosine distance.
Interesting. The HD-Bs do have temperature and pressure readings where the Rs do not. I wonder if that's what's going on. At bowhunting distances there is no difference in the readings.

OP
nevadabugle
Am I correct in thinking that the cosine distance at an angle of zero degrees is the same number as the straight line?

blkqi

WKR
Interesting. The HD-Bs do have temperature and pressure readings where the Rs do not. I wonder if that's what's going on. At bowhunting distances there is no difference in the readings.
In general, the only reason you would ever want an atmospheric adjusted range is if you used a custom turret with yardage markings.

I'm no Leica expert, but there should be a way to just get the cosine distance without all of the other adjustments, I would think.

OP
nevadabugle
In general, the only reason you would ever want an atmospheric adjusted range is if you used a custom turret with yardage markings.

I'm no Leica expert, but there should be a way to just get the cosine distance without all of the other adjustments, I would think.
And I think that's how I have it set up. I think...