Bringing Meat from NM on plane

So have a Elk hunt in December down in New Mexico and trying to figure out the best way to get the meat and horns home if I am successful. Talked with Alaska Air and they no longer allow styrofoam coolers on planes. Saw that there is a meat transport company that will ship but at 4.75 a lbs it would be like $1500 bucks. Container has to be leak proof and 50lbs and under. Think some type of cheap tote and freeze the meat and place in 5mil garbage bag. Any help appreciated from ya"ll.

Buy cheap $20 coolers and freeze the meat if you can. Check the coolers with ratchet straps. That's what I did on a tuna trip...

grfox92

WKR
Is driving not an option? I couldn't imagine going on an out of state hunt without my truck.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Dan-o

FNG
2 options that I’ve done many times:

- Alaska Air Cargo is $1 a pound or so. If you can find a known shipper and send it to yourself through them. Processors are often known shippers and will handle getting the meat to you for a fee. It’s probably too late to go through the process to establish yourself as a known shipper.
- Buy 4-5 cheap coolers and check it as luggage. Ship your other non perishable gear to yourself UPS. Depending on the airline you use, it should be around 2-3 bucks a pound this way.

Rich M

WKR
I carried a processed antelope in a 45 can cooler from Academy ($130) on my flight home. Buddy had his shipped to the tune of about $340.

hunt1up

WKR
I'd just check a few 60ish quart coolers and fly it home with ya. You might get hit with overweight charges depending how full they are but it's the easiest way to go. We've flown elk this way, moose, etc. My daughter shot a cow elk in NM last year and we brought it home in two coolers on Southwest. Both coolers were around 85-90 pounds and I just had to pay the overweight fee. It was easy though.

CorbLand

WKR
Not familiar with Kayak. Not sure I want to drive Utah in the winter in a Kia lol.
I am glad I am not the only one. My wifes family is down in S. Arizona and we are in N. Utah. They give me crap all the time because we wont drive down there during the winter. I dont think they understand what can happen as far as roads go for about 7 hours of that 12 hour drive.

OP
W
Would also add 3+ hours and 400 miles. Decided that I will fly down and drive back. Thanks all for the ideas.