Broadhead Testing...

mvmnts

WKR
On my scale, my field points all come in at 125 plus or minus 0.2 grains. My brand new iron will 125gr solids all come in at 123 or 124. Kinda surprised to be honest. Maybe it's my scale, I don't know.

Brendan

WKR
On my scale, my field points all come in at 125 plus or minus 0.2 grains. My brand new iron will 125gr solids all come in at 123 or 124. Kinda surprised to be honest. Maybe it's my scale, I don't know.

There was a thread about this a little while back - a bunch of people were finding the weights off on the iron wills. I think it's probably due to the sharpening process, but it's probably not you or your scale.

OP
O

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
Third Session....3.18.18

Process
  • 3 shot groups at 30 yards, 40 yards, and 50 yards (Started at 30 and worked up)
  • 60 minute break between each yardage change
  • No wind
  • Testing done in hunting area/elevation
  • All shots into SR-1 Target
  • Matrix Target

Untitled2.jpg

f15311c7ffaae9b28060c142aa73921c.jpg

Thoughts:
- All grouped well at 30....Bone-in was tightest but Kudo hit closest to FP's, but not huge difference.
- Iron Will did best at 40 & 50, but I was having issues with the broad head coming out high and tailing. On both yardages two shots would be close and the third high and to the right mostly. The fetchings were having a hard time correcting in flight. Easily could be a flaw in my form causing this.

As you can see from my plots. Shot to the right of the aiming point. Noticed it in first groups but opted to not change anything until after I was done. Opened up at 50.

Last edited:
OP
O

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
There was a thread about this a little while back - a bunch of people were finding the weights off on the iron wills. I think it's probably due to the sharpening process, but it's probably not you or your scale.

The machining/sharpening process is my belief for the weight variance as well. The more parts that need to be put together the more potential variance, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
O

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
Fourth Session....3.19.18

Process
  • 3 shot groups at 30 yards, 40 yards, and 50 yards (Started at 50 and worked Down)
  • 60 minute break between each yardage change
  • No wind
  • Testing done in hunting area/elevation
  • All shots into SR-1 Target
  • Matrix Target

Untitled3.jpg

0c4c3dba961676c5c3fa8b6ea61ffd5a.jpg

Thoughts:
- Adjusted sight to compensate for previous days hits to the right.
By far the most interesting session of the year.....I started at 50 and the first broadhead I tested was IW. First shot felt good, but hit high, very similar to previous days test. Second shot came out bad and hit even higher. Smacked the buckle on the top of the target. Arrow snapped at the fletchings. I was able to recover bottom half and broadhead. The tip was a little off, but looked in tact. Threw it in another arrow. Almost immediately from shot the arrow started tailing...It looked almost horizontal and hit 5 yards short of the target and glanced off into the wilderness.
- Was a little frustrated....Finished off my 50 yard. Got a new arrow....No noticeable difference..Hit was good right to left, but a little high.
- 40 was great for FP's and BI. Kudo grouped well, but the arrow flight was not looking good. Hitting pretty far right of the FP's.
- More fun at 30....Bone In's were great....In the middle of my draw cycle I punched the trigger and sent my Kudo to the arrow gods. Beyond mad....Packed everything and gave up....

Until next time....

Conclusion....All of these broadheads are effective and will harvest an animal with a well placed shot. As much as I want to say one is better than the other, I cannot. Nothing in life is simple and things will need to be adjusted to fit. My preference right now is the Kudo's. I like the larger cutting edge for a bigger wound channel, love how sharp they came, and the consistency. Helps that I shot them pretty good (Until last day). Need some work on my arrow construction and form...That is probably holding back my effective range more than any broadhead. Purchased another set of Kudos and Bone-Ins. Going to find my best six arrows this weekend and continue looking for 6 arrows I'm confident in for the season.

As much as I wanted to shoot these things at steel plates to test the "toughness" I passed...Mostly for cost.

A few recommendations:
1). Shoot 3* helical or offset on your vanes to increase gyroscopic effect to keep the fixed blade heads from planing off course, or maybe add a 4th vane if you already are shooting a good helical on the vanes.
2). Your form needs work, or bow needs tuning...broadhead groups should approach field points in size with a well tuned setup.
3). Large/heavy solid blade fixed blade heads are harder to get to fly well than a head with less surface area, and are more critical to form errors, wind drift etc. For that reason I like a smaller vented replaceable blade (3-blade) head or a durable mechanical head (again, a 3-blade head). But to each his own!

Thanks for posting....you have a lot of opportunity to improve your accuracy with broadheads. Good luck this year!

OP
O

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
Update:

Ran through Kudo and Bone-in tuning/field testing. Had 18 arrows built and shot each arrow three times for each broad head.

Bone-In tuning was easy...Pretty much screwed them on and they flew great, some nock tuning was done. Kudo's took a little more work and didn't like all of my arrows the same.

Did this at 30 and 40 yards. My "best" arrow held a 3" group at 40 yards. This happened to be the Bone-In. My second best arrow was just slightly worse than 3" group and it happend to be the Kudo.

Of the 5 arrows that I will carry in quiver they are all shooting sub 4' group at 40......Because of my ineffectiveness with broadheads past that distance that will be my effective range this year.

I have 3 Bone-In's and 2 Kudos in my quiver. Kind of weird shooting two broadheads, but given what I had to work with they this is the setup that gave me the most confidence.

Don't have nearly the data on this testing as the previous sessions...Did the shooting the week before the season opener on my last minute scouting session.

Last edited:
OP
O

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
Update:

Here is the pic of the Bone-In on my elk.

View attachment 79070

Shot at 20 yards, broadside ever-so-slightly quartered toward me.

Put arrow right behind shoulder, just a little high. ( I don't have a 20 year pin) Hit a rib on the way in. Arrow exited a good 6-8' further back. Did not get a full pass through. The fetching and 2" of arrow still in the elk.

You can see the arrow in the picture below.

View attachment 79071

The rib on the entrance was completely destroyed. (I was too distracted processing meet to take picture). The blood trail was fantastic, after about 25 yards. Elk went about 100 yards or so before going down.

P Carter

WKR
I'd love to see the pictures but the link is coming back as faulty for me.

As a newer archery hunter, I love to see placement and arrow pics like this!

stonewall

WKR
Update:

Here is the pic of the Bone-In on my elk.

View attachment 79070

Shot at 20 yards, broadside ever-so-slightly quartered toward me.

Put arrow right behind shoulder, just a little high. ( I don't have a 20 year pin) Hit a rib on the way in. Arrow exited a good 6-8' further back. Did not get a full pass through. The fetching and 2" of arrow still in the elk.

You can see the arrow in the picture below.

View attachment 79071

The rib on the entrance was completely destroyed. (I was too distracted processing meet to take picture). The blood trail was fantastic, after about 25 yards. Elk went about 100 yards or so before going down.
Any chance you can repost these pics?