Browning A-Bolt Barrel Swap?

I have a Browning A-Bolt I would like to put a new barrel on. I have heard gunsmiths avoid A-Bolt barrel work. Any idea why? Is this possible?

Currently going through this myself. The barrels have very fine threads, the receiver where the barrel threads in is pretty thin metal, and browning uses a strong adhesive/loctite on the threads. Multiple threads I’ve read on this have reported that the receiver gets mangled trying to remove the barrel.

I called up Douglas barrels as they were mentioned as successful in one thread and they told me they don’t do any Browning work.

sdupontjr

WKR
I too thought about rebarreling my medallion abolt 2 a while back. Mine has the boss. I was told many years ago that if its stainless, the possibility of it just ripping the threads out the action is about 50/50. Blued abolts weren't a problem.

vmals

FNG
Pacnor removed my barrel and installed a new one. Old one was blued new one is stainless.View attachment 617067
What stock is that?

I have an a bolt stainless stalker 300wsm and it shoots factory ammo great but no break so it has sharp recoil. A new barrel and stock would be great. It was my first rifle I bought about 15 years ago and killed a pile of stuff with it so it would be nice to revamp and keep around.

If I ever replace the barrel on my A-Bolt II I'm going to put a tiny little barrel on it and it is going to look ridiculous, but it will be super light.

What stock is that?

I have an a bolt stainless stalker 300wsm and it shoots factory ammo great but no break so it has sharp recoil. A new barrel and stock would be great. It was my first rifle I bought about 15 years ago and killed a pile of stuff with it so it would be nice to revamp and keep around.
It is a McMillan Hunter.

TaperPin

WKR
I don’t know of a gunsmith to recommend, but I have been a fly on the wall listening to gunsmiths talk about problem barrels like this. The one guy that I liked the most said he doesn’t fight the barrel at all - the barrel is cut off right in front of the action and the action is chucked in the lathe and what’s left of the barrel is bored out until almost to the threads, then the thin shell with the barrel threads unscrews or is pulled out in pieces with no risk of the action threads self destructing.

Are you swapping for steel or carbon? A-bolt actions are not well respected in the gunsmithing world and most won't work with them.

Oaks

FNG
They are
Are you swapping for steel or carbon? A-bolt actions are not well respected in the gunsmithing world and most won't work with them.
They just don't need a lot of work to be shooters and so they never had to get shipped off to the gunsmith. Great rifles though. A smith worth working with will not be afraid to barrel a Browning. The work is the same as other rifles just a few dimensional changes..

About $600 for the barrel and installation. I also had them install the brake, flute the barrel, and cerakote the action and flutes for an additional $500 shipped. I had this work done in 2021. I did not think they were the fastest but am very happy with the quality.

sdupontjr

WKR
Pacnor removed my barrel and installed a new one. Old one was blued new one is stainless.View attachment 617067
I considered looking for a replacement stock for my Abolt II Medallion, but all i could find was a B&C. I love the original wood stock of mine, but after 30+ years, it's starting to get some nicks due to my hunting conditions. I went on Mcmillian's site but don't see the stock. They do have a disclaimer to cont them if the stock isn't on the list. How long ago did you get the stock?

I bought it a few years prior to having it installed. Now that you mention this, I do remember seeing they quit offering this inlet. Not sure why they would do that.