Budget bag for kifaru frame

koppertop

FNG
Howdy everyone, I'm trying to track down the most cheap/budget option for a bag for a kifaru frame.

I recently saved up enough money to purchase a kifaru ultralight frame. At the moment I'm still saving to buy a kifaru bag but in the meantime I'm hoping that I can cobble together some kind of bag for this season. Has anyone ever used a largish dry sack with some compression straps as a pack bag on a good frame? What kind of clips would I need to attach a random bag to a kifaru frame (I haven't received my frame yet).

Ideally I may be able to look for a used bag closer to season after saving up some more pennies, but for now I need cheapo......

Thoughts? Ideas?
Thanks!
KT

Xtreme007

WKR
You may wanna try one of the jimmy tarp bags. They are made for the Kifaru frame. I think he has a Facebook page that he sell on.

Kuiu 6000's are going for around $100 used. As long as they come with all the straps and buckles attaching is pretty easy.

OP
K

koppertop

FNG
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll check some of the options.

Northernpiker, that is a mighty generous offer, thank you very much. For the moment I'll pass, I'm definitely not trolling for handouts. I'm sure i could buy a bag, but i'd prefer to save up birthday money and pocket change so i don't have to dip into the family finances. Again, thank you very much, offering to let a complete stranger borrow your bag is very generous.....i hope good karma is headed your way (a big buck or bull maybe).

Cheers everyone!
KT

dotman

WKR
Kifaru camp bag will work, Kuiu 3200 or ultra 6k. Kifaru cargo panel an OR dry bag. If you can find a hill people gear cm25 or even just use a large side pocket, guide lid and grab it.

Tons of cheap options.

But why spend $100 on a make due bag and then spend more when you can spend $186 on a Makor and have a bag that you can slowly added options to. The Side pockets are on sale currently as well.

Also send Shrek a pm, he has an Argali in Coyote Brown I think he'll sell.

Last edited:
OP
K

koppertop

FNG
Awful nice of you. This kinda thing doesn't happen on too many other forums.

I agree, especially since I'm so new here, it isn't like everyone knows me. I will warn everyone, i'm a bit of an introvert even on the net, so i will lurk and read more than i will post. That said....seems like a good group of people.

I agree, spending a significant amount of something that i will replace would be wasteful. I already have a largish dry bag, so depending on strap options i may be able to use that if i find the right straps to cinch it to the frame. I'm sure that would be less than ideal but don't see how it wouldn't work at least temporarily. I'm glad i finally bit the bullet and sprung for kifaru even if it is only half of the pack. Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas....i'm investigating different options.

KT

dotman

WKR
I agree, especially since I'm so new here, it isn't like everyone knows me. I will warn everyone, i'm a bit of an introvert even on the net, so i will lurk and read more than i will post. That said....seems like a good group of people.

I agree, spending a significant amount of something that i will replace would be wasteful. I already have a largish dry bag, so depending on strap options i may be able to use that if i find the right straps to cinch it to the frame. I'm sure that would be less than ideal but don't see how it wouldn't work at least temporarily. I'm glad i finally bit the bullet and sprung for kifaru even if it is only half of the pack. Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas....i'm investigating different options.

KT

I think they still sell the guide lid with a lash strap option. If you call in ask for Frank and he'll hook you up with a complete lash strap kit for a cargo panel for around $35 shipped. It will have all you need to strap anything to the frame. Have to call in to order this as it is not on the website.

You'll soon find this is a pretty close knit group even if we argue at times.

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
I would buy a used pack off this site (or another). If you're like most of us you will go through 3, 4, 5 packs before you find the perfect pack for you...and even then you'll want to buy some more. When you resell you don't lose as much and it's fun to try different packs. Are you looking for a day pack, multi day or both?

If you've already got an acceptable duffle bag (dry bag etc...) to use on the frame, then buying a grab it and lash kit would take care of the holding it up to and against the frame. Those are 2 pieces of Kifaru gear you'll use for years to come and on every bag you buy. The guide lid and strap kit is another "life long" purchase. It's super versatile and will be used on any and every bag you bag from now until eternity.

molon labe