Bug Bivy In a Floorless Shelter

Yomomma

FNG
Anybody find a lightweight bug bivy that works well in a floorless shelter early season? Seems like it could be easier to use and lighter weight than buying a nest for a floorless shelter.

Drenalin

WKR
In order of preference:
  1. Borah Ultralight Bivy
  2. Katabatic Gear Pinion
  3. Enlightened Equipment Recon (no longer made)
Those are just the ones I've tried. Others have posted positive feedback on MLD's bivy, and I've tried the OR Helium (but didn't like it).

Any of the bivvies listed will be lighter than a nest, but not necessarily easier to use. A bivy tends to want to slide around on even the slightest slope, and you obviously get less space inside a bivy than you would in a nest. That said, I still use a bivy regularly and if I want more space, I pack a tent.

• Banned
OP
Y

Yomomma

FNG
In order of preference:
  1. Borah Ultralight Bivy
  2. Katabatic Gear Pinion
  3. Enlightened Equipment Recon (no longer made)
Those are just the ones I've tried. Others have posted positive feedback on MLD's bivy, and I've tried the OR Helium (but didn't like it).

Any of the bivvies listed will be lighter than a nest, but not necessarily easier to use. A bivy tends to want to slide around on even the slightest slope, and you obviously get less space inside a bivy than you would in a nest. That said, I still use a bivy regularly and if I want more space, I pack a tent.
Thanks for the info. Do you find that they work to totally replace tyvec as an under layment for your pad and sleeping bad?

Also, have you ever had issues with condensation building in the bathtub floor area of the bivy?

Drenalin

WKR
Thanks for the info. Do you find that they work to totally replace tyvec as an under layment for your pad and sleeping bad?

Also, have you ever had issues with condensation building in the bathtub floor area of the bivy?
Yes to the first question...I don't use a groundsheet with a bivy.

No to the second question. In sub freezing temps, I've had a small amount of condensation get on my quilt, but never enough to get any puddling in the bivy. With the ones I use though, they ventilate relatively well due to all the mesh.

madgrad02

WKR
I prefer the space and bathtub floor a nest-type over a bivy though will admit I don't have a ton of experience with either)... kifaru supertarp clone with insert. Like 3.5lbs altogether and more than enough space to not feel too confined.

Attachments

• 20230407_125545.jpg
    20230407_125545.jpg
    416.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 20230407_131756.jpg
    20230407_131756.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 54
I do not use a ground cloth under by Borah Bug Bivy.

I do get condensation on the quilt but I don’t think that has anything to do with the bivy. If the whole underside of the tarp has condensation on it, there’s not much any type of next or bivy can do to help or hurt the situation. I think some of that may be due to camping near water sources or in valleys.

id_jon

WKR
Borah bivy for sure. I used to carry tyvek too, but ditched it since the bivy does well enough.

rclouse79

WKR
I don't put a ground sheet under my Borah bivy, but I think I am going to start carrying a foam pad to go under my inflatable. I thought I cleared out all of the pine cones on the last trip, but I ended up popping my air mattress.

Felton

WKR
Borah bivy…

Just a heads up they shut down ordering when they get over loaded and it says they have a 7 week lead time. So you better hurry and order now if you want it for September.

thedutchtouch

Lil-Rokslider
Borah bivy…

Just a heads up they shut down ordering when they get over loaded and it says they have a 7 week lead time. So you better hurry and order now if you want it for September.
They are currently shut down til the end of the month, I just checked/was about to order.

thedutchtouch

Lil-Rokslider
Well dang, i swore it was available to order just…I guess not.
Seems like the order/PayPal cart are still active? But based on the dates listed on the website I didn't order. Sent them an email inquiring if orders are still open or if I need to hold off til the 29th, will report back what I learn when they reply

JPD350

WKR
I don't put a ground sheet under my Borah bivy, but I think I am going to start carrying a foam pad to go under my inflatable. I thought I cleared out all of the pine cones on the last trip, but I ended up popping my air mattress.
This is exactly why I use a piece of high quality roofing underlayment under my Borah bivy, darn mats are freaking expensive and I don't want to carry a bulky foam mat, the underlayment hardly weighs anything and packs easily.

Borah Gear for me as well. I've tried many (like 7 or 8), different UL wt. bivy sacks, and a couple nests, and quickly decided that I'd rather use a bivy. I then had BG make a custom one that weighs less than 5 oz. in the stuff sack.

OP
Y

Yomomma

FNG
Sounds like Borah is the way to go. Has anyone tried the MLD bug bivy 2? That’s what I found just doing Google searches. Wondering about it if I can’t snag a borah in time.

BBob

WKR
I use an MLD Superlight DCF with full face mesh. I have loops on the underside of my tarp to clip it to to keep it up off my face and the bugs at a distance. Kind of a mini nest and light at 6oz give or take.

id_jon

WKR
I've never regretted having my thermarest foam for underneath, despite its bulk.

Another vote for Borah Gear. Been using one for years. Always have Tyvek under my bivy. Protection and a clean, dry, over the top of the soil spot inside my floorless shelter. Too many uses for me to leave at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like Borah is the way to go. Has anyone tried the MLD bug bivy 2? That’s what I found just doing Google searches. Wondering about it if I can’t snag a borah in time.
I have used the MLD BB2 a few times and I will use it again. I like the room to move around a bit and access what I have inside with me. I also prefer the fabric up off of my face. If bugs aren’t an issue the full center zip can be left open and you don’t have to worry about suspending it. I have used it under a tarp and in a SO Silvertip, there is some flexibility in getting it rigged to whatever shelter you use. No condensation issues due to the full screen top but also not much protection from moisture off of your tarp if things get wet.