Build It & They Will Come

Long Cut

WKR
We bought a tract of land, approximately 50-70 acres somewhere in Georgia, back in 2020. The goal was wildlife and recreation.

We hired a Biologist, formed a Co-Op with neighbors, planted food plots, conducted prescribed burns, controlled invasives, did some TSI work, killed a bunch of Does, and have a timber cut happening in the next 2-12 months.

In 2020 we did take 2 mature bucks off of the property, but the sightings were lacking. Fast forward to 2022 and 2023, the amount of mature bucks in daylight or close to daylight on such a small acreage tract has been astounding.

This County isn’t known for “big bucks”, any deer over 140” will make the “All Time” records list for some perspective.
Any Archery buck over 120” will make the Top 10 list.

This post is to hopefully motivate people into managing their habitat, deer herd and letting deer reach maturity. Talk to your neighbors and establish that relationship. Leave the woods a little better than before. It IS possible on smaller tracts of land.

IMG_9907.jpegIMG_9888.jpegIMG_9892.jpegIMG_9894.jpegIMG_4779.pngIMG_6536.png

Attachments

• IMG_9913.jpeg
    IMG_9913.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9920.png
    IMG_9920.png
    281.3 KB · Views: 15
OP
Long Cut

Long Cut

WKR
Beyond thankful for the opportunity at another mature buck on the family Farm.
I averaged seeing a mature buck every other hunt for the 2023-2024 season.

Since we bought the farm in 2020, 3 mature bucks have come off of it. Many more seen. Some missed…
IMG_0012.jpegA4371CF2-5E2A-4454-9986-F5CC5CDBD2CE.jpegIMG_9966.jpegIMG_2086.jpegIMG_2087.jpegIMG_1997.jpeg

SC HUNTER

FNG
Good stuff here! I saw your post over on GON as well and enjoyed reading it both times. My uncle has 150 acres of property that I basically have freedom to do as I want as long as it doesn't include cutting timber. I am going to get in there next season and plant some food for them. I've got about half a mile of power line that will have alot of food for them next year. I want it to be a place that I can take the kids and see good numbers of deer and watch them grow. You have the right ideas with your place and it is being proven!

OP
Long Cut

Long Cut

WKR
Good stuff here! I saw your post over on GON as well and enjoyed reading it both times. My uncle has 150 acres of property that I basically have freedom to do as I want as long as it doesn't include cutting timber. I am going to get in there next season and plant some food for them. I've got about half a mile of power line that will have alot of food for them next year. I want it to be a place that I can take the kids and see good numbers of deer and watch them grow. You have the right ideas with your place and it is being proven!

I’m glad you enjoyed my posts.

My goal is to hopefully Encourage & Educate others that may think this isn’t a reality for them. I’ve chased and killed bigger bucks elsewhere, but doing so on land that you own and managed for hunting is a completely different feeling all together.

I wish you the best and don’t hesitate to reach out if you need any help!

dtrkyman

WKR
Nice work, I have managed whitetail lands for a long time, been through the ringer with it, to simplify for anyone interested, give them what they lack in the area!

Generally everyone goes to food, however security cover is normally king.

And good permanent water source is often overlooked, if you do not have it you need it bad!