Build me a custom rifle

Grundy53

WKR
I've never had a custom rifle built, and I've decided to change that. I am looking to spend $4,000-$5,000 before glass. I already have lots of hunting rifles in various calibers, so I don't really have any holes to fill. This is purely a "want" rifle. I'm looking to possibly shoot out to 800 yards on rocks. But I often shoot elk under 50 yards (coastal Washington Roosevelt's). I'm hoping to maybe have in time for a Wyoming wilderness horse back hunt this September. The rifle will be mainly used for elk, rocks, and maybe mule deer. I would like it to be light enough to pack on day hunts. I will be shooting suppressed. I'm not really looking to Wildcat, but I do reload. I've been thinking 7 PRC or maybe 300 PRC. I currently don't own any .284 but have 4 .30 cals. 3 .300 WM and a 30-06. What would you build?
Action?
Cartridge?
Bullet?
Barrel- length, contour, fluted or not?
Stock?
Anything I'm missing?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

cwpepper

FNG
Here's what I'm making right now after extensive research for a long-range backpackable elk rifle. This is just under $4000 before glass, suppressor and bipod. Your question was for bare rifle, but I included the suppressor, glass, and bipod I will be pairing this with just to show.

1709323446005.png

Good luck on this journey! I would recommend making a decision and getting components ordered soon if you plan to use in September as many options out there have long lead times.

7 SAUM if you want a 7.
Tikka or lone peak fuzion medium, alpine cut.
Rokstok
Benchmark #4, 8 twist. 20". Maybe even have the leave 0.750 flare on the muzzle otherwise I think the diameter will only be a hair over 0.70" @ 20".
Geissele super 700 trigger if you go the m700 clone route.
HCA mag, depending on what UM comes out with soon for tikka bottom metal.

Last edited:
Manners Pro Hunter Stock
Falkor LW7 Action
Proof Sendero 20” Barrel
SARV Stalker Bottom Metal
Triggertech Special

If you’re not really that serious about shooting animals much beyond 500, I’d take a hard look at 7mm-08, especially if you’re going custom and can have it throated for the 160 class bullets. You can shoot rocks at long range all you want with that, without super high velocities for the close range shots you’re planning on encountering. 7PRC would be a great choice also, although it’ll be spicy in a lightweight rifle. If you want to go the slightly more custom route, 7mm SAW2 fits your stated needs perfectly, with way less recoil than a 7PRC and a short action platform. I just built an identical rifle to what I described above in 7mmSaw2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cynoscion

Lil-Rokslider
I would skip the custom build route and go with a Proof Research or similar upper end rifle. My Proof MTR in 6.5 PRC shoots as well as any of my semi customs with no wait time and less money. You can get your rifle, add a Trijicon TenMile and still come in under budget.

As far as caliber goes, 7 PRC seems to fit your interests based on your post but I’m a big fan of 6.5 PRC and 156 Berger EOL’s.

Proof MTR:

deadwolf

WKR
I agree with Cynocism above, My proof MTR is 90% of the way to my full custom, the only difference being I picked every single component of my custom.

A Proof MTR or Seekins Havak or Havak element are very very good for the money. And that will save you enough to put glass on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cwpepper

FNG
Also agree with Cynocism above - the proof MTR is an incredible rifle. I actually chose every component of my custom rifle to mirror the Proof MTR because that package is so well put-together and thought out. The only differences in my custom is a shorter 22" barrel (MTR in the 7mm PRC is 24") and I also wanted chassis with the folding HNT26 stock. Tradeoff I made is I don't get a factory gun with the factory put-together, testing, and MOA guarantee. If you don't like a chassis, or the pain of pulling everything together I would recommend the Proof MTR.

ID_Matt

WKR
Broaden your horizons... 6.5 PRC with 156 berger or 140 eldm or 6PRC with 108 eldm (even though 6.5 or 6 creed would probably be just dandy)

Lone Peak Fuzion steel - short action (alpine cut)

18" fluted steel (benchmark 3 or 4) or proof carbon sendero

XLR element 4.0 folding chassis ( I would say rokstock but only like 6 people in the world have ever touched one so have no experience to say for sure yet) Manners LRH is awesome if you prefer a stock over a chassis.

Trigger tech - that is all i have used in my R700 types, so I am either biased or don't have enough experience to recommend others

CCooper

WKR
Just went through this on a 7 PRC and bought most items on Black Friday:

Defiance Anti X LA MBF $1,650.00
Proof 20" .284 5R Sendero $825.00
TI Pro 4 Brake $195.95
Triggertech Special Flat Shoe $190.99
RHR Trigger Pins $8.00
XLR Folder Chassis $1,268.00
NF 30mm Low Rings $160.00
Scope $0.00
Halo X Bubble Level $134.99
Cerakote $250.00
SiCo Scythe TI Supressor w/ Stamp $1,205.00
Hansohn TI End Cap $80.00
Cole Tac Suppressor Cover $95.00
Threading/ Chambering/ Assembly $500.00
$6,562.93

Cynoscion

Lil-Rokslider
Also agree with Cynocism above - the proof MTR is an incredible rifle. I actually chose every component of my custom rifle to mirror the Proof MTR because that package is so well put-together and thought out. The only differences in my custom is a shorter 22" barrel (MTR in the 7mm PRC is 24") and I also wanted chassis with the folding HNT26 stock. Tradeoff I made is I don't get a factory gun with the factory put-together, testing, and MOA guarantee. If you don't like a chassis, or the pain of pulling everything together I would recommend the Proof MTR.
This is a really good point. I know a few people that have contacted Proof and requested shorter barrels. They have obliged accordingly and the turn around has been relatively quick compared to custom rifle wait time.

Seeknelk

WKR
6.5 prc is more than adequate. That from UM on a lightened Tikka, with a factory contour barrel at 18" with contour for threads for a suppressor. And all bedded in a Rokstock is what I would do. Actually I would probably choose a 6 Creed for myself. For every critter 700 and in.

I thought they discontinued these?

They did stop producing them but hinted at it not being permanent. I’m sure a savvy guy could find one. I’ve got one NIB getting dusty on the shelf that I haven’t listed just in case I keep a m700 clone around or get a wild hair to build with one.
To the OP, I don't mean to be annoying but how much do you plan to spend on the scope? I'd probably grab a Seekins of whichever flavor you like, then take that extra $1500 and put it into the scope budget.

TaperPin

WKR
You’re at the price point of a very very nice shooting gun. Without a doubt I’d have Alex Wheeler put it together - his attention to detail has won a bunch of national awards for his completion clients, but more importantly he enjoys building super accurate hunting rifles. His chambering technique is as good as it gets, his bedding jobs are flawless, and he spends as much time as it takes to walk people through exactly what to do in the reloading room to shoot crazy small groups.

He likes Batt actions, McMillan stocks and Bartlien barrels and they are all super solid choices.

OP
Grundy53

Grundy53

WKR
I thought they discontinued these?

To the OP, I don't mean to be annoying but how much do you plan to spend on the scope? I'd probably grab a Seekins of whichever flavor you like, then take that extra $1500 and put it into the scope budget.
Not annoying at all. Great question. I was thinking probably a nightforce NXS or NX8.

OP
Grundy53

Grundy53

WKR
7 SAUM if you want a 7.
Tikka or lone peak fuzion medium, alpine cut.
Rokstok
Benchmark #4, 8 twist. 20". Maybe even have the leave 0.750 flare on the muzzle otherwise I think the diameter will only be a hair over 0.70" @ 20".
Geissele super 700 trigger if you go the m700 clone route.
HCA mag, depending on what UM comes out with soon for tikka bottom metal.
I live really close to Benchmark. They are who I was thinking of having to do my build. I currently have 4 rifles there right now. 2 getting chopped and threaded and 2 getting new barrels. Going into their shop is pretty much what made me decide I want a custom. Lol.