Building Accurate Sight Tapes By Doug Rosin

boom

WKR
that was a good read!! wish i read it before my last sight. i did it the VERY hard way. haha.

"When attaching the sight to the tape, move your sight to your long mark, whatever it is. For me, it’s 80 yards. Then secure your tape with 80 under the indicator/pointer. After you get your tape secured, move your indicator to match up to 80 exactly."

this paragraph has me scratching my head. i'm waiting for a 5-pin with slider to come from SandSarchery. in your example, how do you know where the 80 is? you put a pencil mark on the tape-less sight tape panel?

last time i did it, i put my 3-pin slider all the way up to the "HOME" position. i just put the tape on the panel with the pointer at 40. i figured the home position was the only place i KNEW would be exact. (then i tested the other distances)

i'm gonna try it your way..with the software this time.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
When building the tape for the 5 pin slider, build your tape based on shooting in your long and short distances. Then once you know your tape is solid, move your sight back to your HOME position and attach the tape so your indicator is at the HOME number. If 60 is your slider, attach the tape and make your pointer zeroed at 60. Then when you slide your sight, your 60 yard pin will be used to wherever your indicator points to.

boom

WKR
When building the tape for the 5 pin slider, build your tape based on shooting in your long and short distances. Then once you know your tape is solid, move your sight back to your HOME position and attach the tape so your indicator is at the HOME number. If 60 is your slider, attach the tape and make your pointer zeroed at 60. Then when you slide your sight, your 60 yard pin will be used to wherever your indicator points to.

roger!!

before the software, i was considering just shooting my pins. for me 20-60 - five pins. get the spacing dead nuts. then note that spacing and finding a tape out of the package that matches. install a temp one and then move it to 80 and see what happens. :)

could make for a long day.

MIhunt44

FNG
when you say to input your long and short marks in to the software, is this a measurement that you input? distance between the two?

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
when you say to input your long and short marks in to the software, is this a measurement that you input? distance between the two?

Yes, either in the form of a measurement if you are building a sight tape for pins or certain CBE sights or the specific number on your sight that corresponds to each yardage.

Call me if that doesn’t make sense.