Bull Elk, unit 72 early Nevada

Ok the NV draw results are out, I did not draw but my Hunting partner did draw an Early Rifle season oct 22- nov5 tag. This will be our first time hunting this area as we usually hunt mulies in area 6. Anyway, does anyone have any experience on this hunt Good or Bad ? I know its a huge wilderness area any advice on where to set camp or good trail heads to head in would be awesome. Of course im not asking for your Honey hole but some advice on this are would be great, I know it holds some big bulls!!!

Straight6

FNG
I hunted 72 Archery in 2011, will send you a PM, I can help with some general info on the area, but never been there that late in the year.

Backstrap

FNG
I hunted 071 for early cow rifle (end of Sept start of Oct.) with my Dad last year. The elk tended to bed on the north face of a mountain at 7500-8000' above a water source. Many of those mountains have little springs with many of them with enough volume to create a little flowing creek, even at that time of the year. Find a mountain with no water source, no elk. The big problem though, was that there was a huge burn area that went east-west through about the middle of the area at least as far as Jaribidge, maybe further east into your unit. Around 8:00am, the elk would head down from their beds and head north into the burn area (nothing left, no cover at all) and go who knows how far north. We saw more bulls in one area than I've seen in my life, of course my Dad had a cow tag! Bring all of your provisions with you as it is very isolated and a long way back to civilization. Jarbidge has a motel/bar and a gas station (with fuel about two bucks a gallon more than back in civilization) but that's about it. We even brought jerry cans of diesel for the truck. Not exactly your area but the terrain is identical. Hope this helps!

NVCHUKAR

WKR
Pm me I hunted that unit last year helping my buddy harvest, it's going to be a zoo with over 200 bull tags but you can see bulls everyday just depends how far you are able to walk.

I have the same tag. Maybe I will see you up there. I plan on a few scouting trips this summer. I also drew an archery cow there and my 13 year old drew a late season bull. Hopefully we can fill them all but I'm really looking forward to spending the time in the woods with my son. Good luck to you and if I get any good intell I will let you know. I know there are plenty of Elk up in the area.

Good luck chasen. Maybe we shall cross paths. Will have horses so can possibly help pack out one for you if needed. Going leave horses at tail head with my dad and do some bivy hunts.

nvgoosehntr

Lil-Rokslider
Hello all - I am new to this forum and elk hunting in general, been on a few hunts but haven't been lucky enough to draw my Nevada tag yet. My wife drew the late bull rifle hunt so I will be doing several scouting trips this summer/fall and I will post some some info once I check it out. This will be my first Area 7 hunt but have hunted deer, antelope and predators here in Northern Nevada since I moved here in 03. I did manage to draw 032 deer this year and I have hunted that a couple times previously and we always do well there.