Bullet choice for 280 AI Accubond 160g vs. Hammer Hunter 143g

I use the 140 gr. Accubond in my 280AI and really like that bullet. It's performed perfectly on game for me and shoots exceptionally well. It was the 140 gr. Accubond I used on my grizzly bear also. One shot.

IMG_2052.jpg
I like this picture a lot I remember your post over at the Nosler site. Such a beautiful bear. The 140 gr AB sure did a great job.

I got out to the range to test the upper limits of the Hammer 143's with H4381sc. Below are 3-shot groups at 3095 fps and 3131 fps. Single digit S.D. and low double digit E.S. For the record, these were both right around 0.2 MOA at 100yds. Elevation is off 'cuz scope is still zeroed for 160 gr Accubonds. I think I now have excellent leaded and unleaded options for this gun. Now it's time to load up a bunch of each and get dope for longer ranges.

Attachments

• HammerHunter 3095 fps.jpg
    HammerHunter 3095 fps.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 6
  • HammerHunter 3131 fps.jpg
    HammerHunter 3131 fps.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 6
I'd be leery using any Nosler bullet right now, simply because of how hard they've been to find the last few years. Hammers will always be available.

I switch from 180 Bergers in my 28 Nosler last year, to the 143 Hammer just for that reason. No regrets, they kill just as well, and are just as accurate. Having the 3500 fps MV, and flat trajectory from 0-350 yards has been nice also. No dialing until around 400 yards.
What was your velocity with the 180 bergers? I’ve been wanting a new 7mm just not sure I can justify feeding the 28 nosler.

I know it isn't in your two choices, but my AI LOVED 160g Barnes TSX. I have only used Hammer 223g .358 bullets. They shoot really well for me.
What cartridge are you shooting those 358’s in? Did you see an increase in your velocity? I’ve recently acquired a 358 STA and am having trouble finding partitions for the load that is already developed. I’m thinking hammers or jump to the 250 gr speers I already have.

I have a healthy stash of Accubonds and Hammers. I am mostly a meat hunter, so I too like the idea of monolithic copper or bonded bullets to preserve meat. Plus, it's just fun to mess around with different bullets, etc. just to see what they can do.

I have a Xbolt Hells Canyon Speed LR 280AI. I been buying different bullets to try. I bought some of the Accubond LR 168gr to try. Hornady ELD x and m in 162 gr 175 gr x . Looking for some 180 gr m to try to. Berger 140 150 and 168gr . Nosler partitions in 140 150 and 160. And others too try when I get time.

Back