Buying Land- Site Prep and severe slope- Insight?

Thinking there will be people in the General area that have more exp with this than myself.

Been looking at purchasing land for a few year. I've found a chunk I think I like. Rather steep. A "Bench" has already been carved out and excavated. Power, Septic and well are already in. Sellers have reportedly found it too remote and are bailing.

I can afford to purchase it in Cash.

I am concerned about the dirt work and slope. I've had soil classes in college and done soil tests and compations/consolidometers.....once.....30+ years ago.

How can I find out how "safe" the lots is to build upon? Or who would I hire? A local excavation company would probably just be a guy who's savvy and running equipment and hauling soil?

I've seen many houses out West that have made use of some pretty severe sloped topography. Before I blow my entire life wad of cash.....what can I do to be reasonably certain I am not pissing all my money away...or risk being burried to death by a landslide when I sleep....or simply losing my home?

Where to look or start or get consult?

No guarantees even when you have engineers sign off on it, just ask the people that have watched their brand new homes slide down the mountain.

I would personally hire an engineer (structural/geotech) to do a site visit and take cores, if it is truly really steep with unknown soils. It may be a couple grand for a report, but is worth it.

This is coming from a CE (water resources and site civil).
This. ^^^^

And have a civil engineer evaluate the grading situation. I've seen many problems caused by contractors who thought they don't need no stupid engineer, then proceeded to inadequately grade a site to drain water away from the house. Broken foundations, slumping, water infiltration, mud holes...good times.

I will know when I get boots on ground. For sure hoping that isn't slump. Believe it was an intentional cut. But I am not at all certain
Yea, it looks too "perfect" to be slump. Almost looks like they cut a ditch line to drain the runoff from that burned hillside instead of letting it erode that cut slope.

How many years post burn is it?

Thinking there will be people in the General area that have more exp with this than myself.

Been looking at purchasing land for a few year. I've found a chunk I think I like. Rather steep. A "Bench" has already been carved out and excavated. Power, Septic and well are already in. Sellers have reportedly found it too remote and are bailing.

I can afford to purchase it in Cash.

I am concerned about the dirt work and slope. I've had soil classes in college and done soil tests and compations/consolidometers.....once.....30+ years ago.

How can I find out how "safe" the lots is to build upon? Or who would I hire? A local excavation company would probably just be a guy who's savvy and running equipment and hauling soil?

I've seen many houses out West that have made use of some pretty severe sloped topography. Before I blow my entire life wad of cash.....what can I do to be reasonably certain I am not pissing all my money away...or risk being burried to death by a landslide when I sleep....or simply losing my home?

Where to look or start or get consult?
Geotechnical survey is what you need. I had one done last year and it cost me $2,500

Has the hillside been replanted to help with future erosion?

+1000 to get a Civil Engineer and whoever else they recommend to have core samples. Best of luck!!

RE: Burn. I think 2000. Rolling back Google imagery shows about the same. Kinda floored it's taking so long to come back. But earlier imagery.....it's was naturally a rather open and parked out area.

I have seen a lot steeper built on. I would do some digging to save some heart ache in the future, but honestly doesn’t look too extreme

I agree would want some good native grasses to keep moisture on the hill and could do a little drainage around the back of the cut to divert run off, I think it looks great though!

as many have said already, get a geotech engineer. You can also talk with the building department about the site and vicinity. Some areas are known to have poor soils or other good/bad traits. This would be in addition to engineers opinion. I’d be equally concerned about the fill placed to create the landing. Good chance it wasn’t keyed in or compacted well enough to build on. If you’re not building on the fill, then less of a concern.

RE: Burn. I think 2000. Rolling back Google imagery shows about the same. Kinda floored it's taking so long to come back. But earlier imagery.....it's was naturally a rather open and parked out area.
With a burn that old I would be less worried, you have plenty of veg to slow down water. I think it is worth a professional to come out and investigate.

For sure undertand the concept of grasses and root structure to maintain/restore integrity.
Do it man! I will say a couple of my biggest regrets in my short life have been around buying land… coulda shoulda woulda types. I know this, they will never make any more land, just be smart about it but looks awesome

UPDATE: Just got off the phone w a local Surveyor that was listed in a PDF of Engineers I was sifting through. Very familiar with the lot. Said it's changed hands a few times. "I would avoid that lot like the plague".

Knew the "excavator" as well, and it was NOT the most trusted service. Said it should never have been developed.

A bit disheartened. Been on the hunt with cash in hand for a few years. To my eyes...a beautiful area. But I think I am going to Fold.

Checked a ton of boxes. A TON. But I should probably stick to my guns and keep moving.

Last edited:
Back