CA muzzle pelletized powder system?

CamaroMan

FNG
Trying to look into open site easy to reload options, new muzzle shooter.. cva wolf optima maybe accura..

Trying to figure out what this pelletized means? Little confused.

Looking to use 209 powder with plug.. ca legal ammo.. what must I avoid to stay legal? Or do all 209 primer cva guns mentioned not have this issue?

Tx

OP
CamaroMan

CamaroMan

FNG
Ca regs:

To hunt deer, pronghorn or bear, they must be minimum of a .40 caliber.
e. To hunt elk or moose, they must be minimum of a .50 caliber.
f. From a .40 caliber to a .50 caliber, bullets must weigh minimum 170 grains. If greater than a .50 caliber, bullets must weigh minimum 210 grains.
h. Shotshell primers are legal. Pelletized powder systems prohibited in muzzleloading seasons. Cannot be loaded from the breech in muzzleloading seasons.

Powder can either be loose powder or powder in solid 50gr pellets.

Some states, like CA, you can only shoot loose powder. I prefer loose powder regardless and you can play around with the charge weight and it ends up being more accurate

The CVAs will shoot either. There is a different breechblock design for the loose powder that I got my for older Optima

OP
CamaroMan

CamaroMan

FNG
So basically can't use pellets in CA basically, something thats safer and less prone to cause harm, but their latest retarded epa gas cans have no vent and push raw fuel outwhen warm? What a bunch of bright ppl we have here. I would use the I word but it's not biblical.

OP
CamaroMan

CamaroMan

FNG
I want to shoot the easy to clean 209 powder..

Also can I use either type of powder in same gun in case I travel and shoot in less restrictive states?

Powder can either be loose powder or powder in solid 50gr pellets.

Some states, like CA, you can only shoot loose powder. I prefer loose powder regardless and you can play around with the charge weight and it ends up being more accurate

The CVAs will shoot either. There is a different breechblock design for the loose powder that I got my for older Optima

sneaky

"DADDY"
Depends on your breech plug. Pelletized powder isn't any safer than loose powder, not sure where you're getting that idea. Pelletized powder is inefficient, loose powder is far easier to dial in your load than pellets. Blackhorn 209 takes a different plug than pellets anyways. If you can find/use Blackhorn 209 you'll have less cleaning to do. Pyrodex or Triple 7 both shoot fine but burn dirtier. Real black powder ignites much easier than any of the substitutes, but is hard to find.

There’s a lot wrong with CA but I don’t think this is a big deal. Loose powder is superior to pellets as you can really fine tune your load and it’s more efficient. You can blow up a muzzy with both powders If you overcharge.

Personally, I’d develop a load and stick with loose powder even in other states. It wouldn’t make sense to switch back and forth.

In my CVA optima I went from 4” groups with 100gr of 777 pellets to 1” groups with 90gr weight of Blackhorn 209 powder. Clean up and corrosion issues are much easier with blackhorn.. you’ll need the blackhorn 209 breech plug for your CVA

OP
CamaroMan

CamaroMan

FNG
thanks guys - yes after reading all the replies here and doing some reading placed an order for 2 cva rifles (wolf SS) for the wife and optima SS for myself. Could not find 209 powder ANYWHERE and finally found it in store 500 miles away at sportmans. Asked the manager if they do inter store transfers and she personally mailed it and sent me tracking numbers to a store near me. We bought the barnes t-EZ .45 sabot and fed 209 primers (could not locate winchesters from a non scam site)! Got the cva 209 conversion kit as well. Both iron sights for CA restrictions -

cant wait to get back into Gods country, Los Padres is indeed unbelievably pretty..

good site to check scam sites:

https://www.guntab.com/scam-websites

Anyway- so another topic, what is the likelihood of a bear encounter in Los padres, and should we carry spray or the 357 6 shooter or both?