Caliber Dilemma

So here is my dilemma...Making a trade for a Tikka T3x 300wsm. I currently have a semi-custom T3 CTR in 6.5 Creedmoor and is an absolute track driver however I am wanting another Tikka for strictly a western hunting rifle. This new to me Tikka I would like to change a Carbon Barrel as well as an upgraded stock. Now the dilemma is shall I keep it a 300wsm or change to a 6.5PRC? I'm leaning towards wsm but the prc is intriguing to me.

Seems simple to me.
You already have a 6.5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1
BB.jpg

Been on a couple Elk hunts in CO. I do take my heavy creedmoor to NM for Antelope but looking for a lightweight elk gun.

The Similarity of both caliber makes it hard to compare, why not get both and see what you like better.

Personal preference is bigger is better for elk, especially at longer ranges. (Assuming all else is equal)

I have had good luck with my 300 wsm on many elk and mule deer.

Convert the wsm to a long mag/bolt and shoot 208 eld-m

I’d stick with the 300wsm, get it in a 1:8 twist and develop a load for 215gr Berger’s.

Yeah if I keep the 300wsm it would be 1:8 or 1:9. Guess it makes sense to stick with the wsm. I do have lots of brass and 2 sets of dies already...

If primarily an elk rifle then the 300wsm might be the better choice. Although if I’m not mistaken the Tikka is pretty much a standard rather than short action so that receiver should work for either a 6.5prc or 300wsm. If the rifle was a regular short-action 300wsm it wouldn’t be long enough.

I wouldn’t say they are similar, what 6.5prc can spit out 200-215gr pills?
I don’t really think it matters. A 6.5 shooting extremely high-BC/SD 140-160gr bullets of similar construction at fairly similar velocities will do the same amount of damage on game as 200-215gr .30 cal bullets. There is no way in hell anyone could ever tell the difference between the same hit from one or the other.

Put either in a good spot .... the same spot, and...dead elk. Put either in the same bad spot, same outcome.

Which do you think you might be more apt to put in the right spot?

I’m 15 for 15 on one shot, no tracking kills on elk with 6.5s. Most of those were with a 6.5x.284 but a few with a .260 and Creedmoor. Fully 11 of those were DRT. The other three all fell in plain sight within 50 yards of where they were hit.

I’m 4 for 4 with the .280 Win and 2 for 3 with the 7-08, but the lone exception was an easy 100 yard tracking job. Went 1 for 1 with a 7mm Weatherby.

I’m also 100% DRT with the .270 Win and .270 Weatherby.

I am 60% with .30 cal, using .308 Win, .30-06 and .300 Wby.

I’m 33% with the .338 Win Mag.

Back to 100% with the .25-06 on elk.

If you ask me, a 6.5 non-magnum definitely makes a better elk rifle than a .338 Win Mag. Same goes vs .30 cal. I do speak from my own experience, which is valid and not anecdotal.

I’d do any 6.5 from the Lapua up to the PRC/GAP 4S before I’d ever consider a .300 WSM because I am certain the 6.5s kill elk extremely well and I’m even more certain I shoot them better than I can any .300 Mag.

I don’t really think it matters. A 6.5 shooting extremely high-BC/SD 140-160gr bullets of similar construction at fairly similar velocities will do the same amount of damage on game as 200-215gr .30 cal bullets. There is no way in hell anyone could ever tell the difference between the same hit from one or the other.

Put either in a good spot .... the same spot, and...dead elk. Put either in the same bad spot, same outcome.

Which do you think you might be more apt to put in the right spot?

I’m 15 for 15 on one shot, no tracking kills on elk with 6.5s. Most of those were with a 6.5x.284 but a few with a .260 and Creedmoor. Fully 11 of those were DRT. The other three all fell in plain sight within 50 yards of where they were hit.

I’m 4 for 4 with the .280 Win and 2 for 3 with the 7-08, but the lone exception was an easy 100 yard tracking job. Went 1 for 1 with a 7mm Weatherby.

I’m also 100% DRT with the .270 Win and .270 Weatherby.

I am 60% with .30 cal, using .308 Win, .30-06 and .300 Wby.

I’m 33% with the .338 Win Mag.

Back to 100% with the .25-06 on elk.

If you ask me, a 6.5 non-magnum definitely makes a better elk rifle than a .338 Win Mag. Same goes vs .30 cal. I do speak from my own experience, which is valid and not anecdotal.

I’d do any 6.5 from the Lapua up to the PRC/GAP 4S before I’d ever consider a .300 WSM because I am certain the 6.5s kill elk extremely well and I’m even more certain I shoot them better than I can any .300 Mag.

Well I haven’t shot enough elk with either to agree/disagree but those here that have (larger sample size then yours) disagree with you, but I get what your saying. I personally don’t think the 300wsm is any harder to shoot accurately then my 6.5 Creedmoor but not everyone is the same and this has been beat to death here many times already.

I personally prefer the higher energy of the .30 cal on elk.

Now if someone can’t shoot one well due to recoil or whatever by all means I agree with you that they should use what is most accurate for them.

Last edited:
Back