California Drought

69ChrisCraft

Lil-Rokslider
Season is nearly upon us. The forage is either there or it isn't.... What are you guys seeing that are out there scouting?

My future father in law runs cattle and has had his natural spring go dry for only the 2nd time since 1973. I for one won't be counting on my old springs holding water. I'll also have 2 backup locations if a wildfire starts before Mid-Aug.

scarboy11

Lil-Rokslider
Great scouting trip in x zone this weekend. Lots of good bucks. As far as so cal local spots. Checked a spring earlier last week and had good flow still.

I went on a quick backpack/scouting trip this weekend and there was water in all the springs I've been to in the past.

hntnnut

Lil-Rokslider
A little lake I was up at this weekend is down about 100 feet.

Richard

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I went up int D5 last weekend to fish a lake about 5 miles into the wilderness. There was water running through every drainage and seeps flowing all across the mountains. Lake was full of water and fish .

JNDEER

WKR
northern A zone. creeks that had some water last year are dry. a few small springs are also dry that were producing last year.

lower elevation B zone. Few springs are about half full of what I have seen in years past.

D5 had lots of water in the NF and leading up and in the wilderness area. Not to say the big lakes are still low, but not as bad as I have seen before.

Robpr

Lil-Rokslider
Rosin, how high up were u? And how were the Mosquitos?

209hunter

Lil-Rokslider
A couple buddies and myself went back into some lakes in D7 about 5 miles at about 9000 ft and the lakes were still plenty full. Absolute zero snow though. Im doing a scouting trip in a X zone in two weeks. Plan to be 6 miles in at about 10,000 ft, ill report what the water looks like up there when we get back.

scarboy11

Lil-Rokslider
What x zone you going into? I just came out of x9c found some decent water. No snow pack just springs. My buddies went and scouted x9a and didn't see shit for game

209hunter

Lil-Rokslider
What x zone you going into? I just came out of x9c found some decent water. No snow pack just springs. My buddies went and scouted x9a and didn't see shit for game

X12. I dont expect to see much snow if any. I still think we'll find water but we'll see.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
i was camped at 9100 feet and no mosquitos at all. the trailhead was at 7400' and the mosquitos were terrible. the trailhead was at a lake also and it was warmer there.

Robpr

Lil-Rokslider
I'm hoping to get up to the 9000' level into Desolation this deer season. Been itching to hit some trout up there as well.

PintsOfCraft

Lil-Rokslider
Hill areas removed from agricultural valleys in Central and Southern Monterey County A zone are very dry. At this point, deer still seem active in the predictable manner. We'll see how things unfold as many cattle ranchers are supplementing trough water now that reliable springs are drying or are already dry. When cattle are moved around, water is not always supplemented. Consequentially, we may see deer moving in unique ways as they follow the water later in rifle season. My fear is next year as nature may not allow proper herd growth due to the stress of this dry season.

Just my .02

MattB

WKR
A friend on mine and I hiked into an area in A-zone yesterday and all three of the ponds in there were dry - not looking good.

Craig4791

WKR
All of the water in the area I was in A Zone was dry as a bone too. Ground was so dry it sounded like I was walking on bubble wrap!

scarboy11

Lil-Rokslider
I scouted A zone last week sound multiple springs no deer hitting them though

209hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Went back into x12 this weekend and found plenty of water at around 10,000 ft. You could tell it wasnt as wet as it has been in the past but there was plenty there for the deer.
yjupuqeq.jpg