California: where are the BT and muleys?

Do you agree with the BT along the coast, muley everywhere but the coast assertion?

• Agree

• Disagree

Results are only viewable after voting.
My thoughts, a pure blacktail throws a smaller rack, so in areas where the 2 species overlap(which they seem to do a lot in California) and when the “species” comes into question for trophy purposes, you would have to call those hybrids mule deer rather than blacktail. Believe me I saw a lot of “mule deer” east of the cascade crest in Washington that clearly had a lot of blacktail characteristics to them. If I had shot one I certainly wouldn’t have been able to call it a blacktail. I’ve also seen people shoot “blacktails” with long white rope tails and black tips west of the cascades who get upset when you tell them their blacktail is really a mule deer. The reality of it all is that there is so much hybridization, which is why I-5 has been identified as a border for “pure” blacktails in Washington and Oregon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WKR

WKR
There are genetically pure blacktail east of Interstate 5
But alot of deer in California are hybrid
When you get into some of the x zones is when you get a true mule deer, especially the migratory herds that travel between CA and NV

This is for northern California, down south there are more sub species

Greenbelt

Lil-Rokslider
On no, not this topic again.
Fish and wildlife call deer in D and C blacktail

If a deer genetically tests 90/10 blacktail to mule deer what is it?
I was raised in the mountains of c zone and still hunt there. We only hunt Mule deer.

I was raised in the mountains of c zone and still hunt there. We only hunt Mule deer.
I’ll let the biologists at DFW make my argument

Attachments

• 27DC4043-D27E-425F-B00E-03E04FAB6347.jpeg
    27DC4043-D27E-425F-B00E-03E04FAB6347.jpeg
    462.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 4ECA27C4-5BF3-4253-BF4F-3160D4BB95AE.jpeg
    4ECA27C4-5BF3-4253-BF4F-3160D4BB95AE.jpeg
    436.5 KB · Views: 35
  • C527753B-394E-451E-9C0C-7B1A31064AE7.jpeg
    C527753B-394E-451E-9C0C-7B1A31064AE7.jpeg
    468.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 8007DD0C-7C1E-448A-9869-C6456DD935B2.jpeg
    8007DD0C-7C1E-448A-9869-C6456DD935B2.jpeg
    484.5 KB · Views: 36
My thoughts, a pure blacktail throws a smaller rack, so in areas where the 2 species overlap(which they seem to do a lot in California) and when the “species” comes into question for trophy purposes, you would have to call those hybrids mule deer rather than blacktail. Believe me I saw a lot of “mule deer” east of the cascade crest in Washington that clearly had a lot of blacktail characteristics to them. If I had shot one I certainly wouldn’t have been able to call it a blacktail. I’ve also seen people shoot “blacktails” with long white rope tails and black tips west of the cascades who get upset when you tell them their blacktail is really a mule deer. The reality of it all is that there is so much hybridization, which is why I-5 has been identified as a border for “pure” blacktails in Washington and Oregon

This is basically my thoughts.
Mule deer guys don't really care.
Its the guys that want to pass a cross as a BT for trophy reasons that get all frothed up.

68Plexi

WKR
This is basically my thoughts.
Mule deer guys don't really care.
Its the guys that want to pass a cross as a BT for trophy reasons that get all frothed up.

This guy agrees, so I guess that makes me a mule deer guy. I don’t care what the Sierra Nevada west slope deer are specifically classified as, they are small, difficult to hunt and a completely different experience than the eastern slope mulies I chase.

I’m my neck of the woods the east and west slope deer summer in the same ranges so I’m sure there is some crossbreeding going on.

SDHNTR

WKR
That map might be for B and C ,or P And Y, but it doesn't reflect the true genetics of our deer herds. The deer In the x zones don't look like the deer in the foothills of the D zones.
Not really true any more. They can now use DNA testing. Kill a buck outside the boundary that you think is BT. Get it tested. If deemed BT, you can enter it.

Not really true any more. They can now use DNA testing. Kill a buck outside the boundary that you think is BT. Get it tested. If deemed BT, you can enter it.
Yep, and I know of a couple not high profile C zone bucks that qualified pope and young if they were deemed black tails. I can’t say with certainty but they were rumored to have been tested and successfully submitted as blacktail. I personally trust the source.

I know of non typical buck around 190” killed in the same area very quietly that was tested but came back a hybrid.

I’ll probably never kill a buck big enough for book and if I do I won’t test it or enter it. But as far as I’m concerned, if I’m in an area that DFW says is ‘primarily Columbia blacktail’ and I kill a bomber buck that has a blacktail rear end, I’ll mount it and proudly boast to my friends I killed a big blacktail.

Last edited:
H

HappyHuntr

There are definitely no Miley’s on the coast but there are black tail’s basically everywhere

@MotoHunter39 @Lou (Louis) It's a trick question, those three pictures were taken within 1/4 of one another. The first and third buck are resident deer and the middle one migrated in after the Bear fire. -- These are all D zone bucks in what most here are claiming is mule deer-only territory.