Camera Recommendations?

I am looking for a commercial grade cam system for use indoors and outdoors. I wanna be able to mike subjects being shot (from a distance) and have HD, high quality images and sound. Moreover it must be able to records of many hours of footage at a time. Technology that stabilizes the footage would be welcome.

Vitals

WKR
I'm no technical shutter bug but I have owned a Cannon Powershot SX50 HS for the past couple years and love it. Its not an SLR, but its sort of a cross between an SLR and a point & shoot.

One thing that has impressed me most with it is the video capabilities. The camera is capable of taking much nicer footage and photos than I'm capable of taking but with a little editing at the desk they turn out great.

Be sure to watch in HD.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwT1lr41w-c

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Look at the new Olympus OMD EM1. Pro grade micro 4/3 and will easily do everything you are looking for and then some. Other benefit is, its smaller then a DSLR and its fully weather sealed

Jon Boy

WKR
If you want commercial grade, go with an slr. I partial to Canon products. Theres an SLR model in damn near every price point so it comes down to how much you want to pay, and how much you want to pay for different lens'. I'm running a t5i and have been very happy with it, although, I wouldnt consider it commercial grade. Theres a decent hike in price from pro consumer to commercial.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I think you need a pro-grade camcorder for your uses, as that is what they are designed for. Canon, Nikon, Sony, and Panasonic all have great professional camcorders. They are not cheap.

DLSR, M4/3, and the like usually have limits on the length of video clips that are well under your "hours at a time" requirement. I use a DSLR and Mirrorless camera for high quality video, but my clips are pretty short.

They also often have over-heating issues when capturing repeated long clips.

The lens and video quality are great, but they have limits on their video use.

IAHNTR

WKR
Look into the Panasonic GH3 and/or GH4. Since your looking. It's a mirrorless that is built around video, but takes great stills as well. Bitterroot knows his optics and cameras very well.